Baby Back Ribs and Sous Vide New York Strip Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DANG
    I Thought I'd finally after 5 years made ribs as perrty as yours and then ya kicked me ass again.Now I have a another goal to reach

And as far as that steak goes WOW JUST WOW.
    2-22.5'' weber
    1-18'' weber
    1 smokey joe
    22.5'' wsm
    24'' smoke vault
    1-outhouse
    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
      ...They sat in the bath aboot 1.5 hours. Perfect, although my thyme-ing was a little off as to when the ribbage would be finished. Sooo, I put them in the fridge for a short while. Once the ribs were pulled, here's what happened... the sear over the Vortex... dammit I love that thing!!

A question for you, HH. I'm wondering why you pulled the strips from the SV and put them in the fridge. They won't overcook. Can't be to chill them down so they'd take smoke better; you're just doing a sear on the rear. I'm confused.

Inquiring minds...

Oh, and for the ribbage and steaks. Imma droolin'.
      Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
      ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
      Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
      Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

great job Hawg...as always!

You're hooked for sure now.....I've been kind of hankering to get into the whole sous vide thing myself. I think it would also be great for doing low-temp pasturization when I'm making pickles....they come out nice and crisp when you can them that way.

might just have to pull the trigger on one of these soon.
        sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

Originally posted by Ozric View Post
          A question for you, HH. I'm wondering why you pulled the strips from the SV and put them in the fridge. They won't overcook. Can't be to chill them down so they'd take smoke better; you're just doing a sear on the rear. I'm confused.

Inquiring minds...

Oh, and for the ribbage and steaks. Imma droolin'.
          Thanks everyone!

As it turned oot, I could have left them in the bath. I was gonna do the brussel sprouts in it, so I thought I needed the room... butt decided to cook them in the oven instead. Oh well, it was my first thyme, and the fridge was not needed.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

you can overcook stuff in a sous vide bath.

Well, not over cook as such but holding at temp for a prolonged period will result in protein and muscle fibre breakdown and mushy meat.

That steak looks pretty perfect.

The fridge move was actually correct

Think about it, you've got the meat at the perfect stage, then you cook it fast and hot for a few minutes, that's still going to have an effect on the interior.
            The colder the meat when you put it on the grill, the less you'll change the stage you've already cooked it too.
            You want to bring the interior back to the finish point while the outside sears, you don't want to start at the end temp and go up

As an example - heston blumenthal did a program last year where he precooked a huge frankenstein beef joint.
            Then finished it off with a fast sear, but kept the interior cold with liquid nitrogen. - Yes overkill. But illustrates the point. :-)

for the beef

And the ribs weren't half bad either
            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              you can overcook stuff in a sous vide bath.

Well, not over cook as such but holding at temp for a prolonged period will result in protein and muscle fibre breakdown and mushy meat.

That steak looks pretty perfect.

The fridge move was actually correct

Think about it, you've got the meat at the perfect stage, then you cook it fast and hot for a few minutes, that's still going to have an effect on the interior.
              The colder the meat when you put it on the grill, the less you'll change the stage you've already cooked it too.
              You want to bring the interior back to the finish point while the outside sears, you don't want to start at the end temp and go up

As an example - heston blumenthal did a program last year where he precooked a huge frankenstein beef joint.
              Then finished it off with a fast sear, but kept the interior cold with liquid nitrogen. - Yes overkill. But illustrates the point. :-)

for the beef

And the ribs weren't half bad either
              Thanks Alex! I did read that some folks refrigerate the meat after the bath... That's good information! No matter what, it all turned out very good!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Seems I get a little jealous every time you post a cook, Phil. Everything looks perfect and that new machine is great! I can imagine doing a whole prime rib in it.
                sigpic
                Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Wonderful job, Phil! Those ribs sure are pretty and that steak looks perfect! I am going to have to think about this sous vide thing...but I want a rotisserie first!
                  Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                  Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                  1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                  Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                    ...You want to bring the interior back to the finish point while the outside sears, you don't want to start at the end temp and go up
                    Ah, I see your point. Excellent way of dealing with the situation. I had assumed that one would use the SV to get the steak to 10° BELOW the desired finish IT, and that searing and resting would bring it up to the proper finish temp. I like your way better!
                    Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
                    ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
                    Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
                    Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Very nice Phil, Great cook all the way around. Now you got me craving ribs and steak...
                      God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
                      Weber Performer Gold
                      Masterbuilt 26" twins
                      Big Chief Electric smoker
                      Brinkmann barrel smoker
                      LEM sausage stuffer
                      Cabela's pro HD grinder
                      Maverick ET-732
                      ThermoWorks Thermapen
                      GrillGrates

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
                        Seems I get a little jealous every time you post a cook, Phil. Everything looks perfect and that new machine is great! I can imagine doing a whole prime rib in it.
                        Thanks Keith! Don't get jealous... Mongo just a pawn in game of life...

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                        Wonderful job, Phil! Those ribs sure are pretty and that steak looks perfect! I am going to have to think about this sous vide thing...but I want a rotisserie first!
                        Thanks Becky! Get the rotiss first... you'll love it!

Originally posted by Ozric View Post
                        Ah, I see your point. Excellent way of dealing with the situation. I had assumed that one would use the SV to get the steak to 10° BELOW the desired finish IT, and that searing and resting would bring it up to the proper finish temp. I like your way better!
                        My thoughts were to sear them right from the bath, which is why I only took it to 128, figuring I'd get it to 134-ish after the sear. Then the brain fart happened, which turned out to be beneficial. What Alex says makes sense.

Originally posted by BIGGLOPEZ View Post
                        Very nice Phil, Great cook all the way around. Now you got me craving ribs and steak...
                        Thanks Gilbert! I really had a great day of cooking and relaxing... I needed that!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Great looking ribs! That boiled steak looks tasty too!
                          Dirtsailor A.K.A. Case

GOSM, (4) Mini-WSM, Mini-ZA, UDS, 1967 Casa Q, StoveTec Rocket Stove, 12" & 18" AMNTS, (2) Mav ET732,
                          iGrill Therm

Comment

Originally posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post
                            Great looking ribs! That boiled steak looks tasty too!
                            Thanks! Not a boiled steak tho... I have me standards...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Man those NY strips look great, Phil!! I came in late on the Sous Vide discussion, but after seeing those NY's Im going to look it up! Oh, and I'd hit them ribs any day too!

Well done as always, but gotta give some Sous Vide for upping your game yet again!
                              Mike
                              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                              POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                              Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

Wow... Ya know..I been doing physical therapy for carpal tunnel and other issues..but thay have this cast machine... a water bath with a temp knob...seems to go from 100 to 185... hmmmm
                                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                                X