Tip o' tri-tip sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
    Since you're usually just cooking for yourself, I think I should come and keep you company once in awhile! You wouldn't have to worry about leftovers that way.
    Well, you're from Grand Junction, right? Why don't you ride down with the Mancation in May and have some Q and local beer here in Flag at the Throw(as much as possible)down I'm hosting? You're more than welcome!
    Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
    ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
    Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
    Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
      Damn fine job Sir Oz! That looks wonderful!

As far as the steak sauce, I'd use it as a weed killer...
      Thanks (to all!).

Another good idea, just bad timing. My Red Dragon Weed Dragon showed up yesterday.

It's funny. I left my backyard partially unfinished last summer after I moved in, planning to finish this summer. Well, a mess of low-lying weeds that are difficult to pull took over, and I've been puzzling about how to deal with them (having dogs and all). What I was looking for was a propane torch for lighting sticks (I want to have a fire pit built by the time the Mancation shows up in May) and charcoal and found that the best one (made in the US of US components; WITH a regulator) for home use was the RDWD. Torching weeds had never occurred to me. The videos on how they work are fascinating. What synchronicity! Now I just need to get a cart for my 20 lb tank.
      Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
      ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
      Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)

Comment

A picture is worth a 1000 words. Perfect meat!

Suggestions:

1. For thin piece of meat, after sous vide, put it in the freezer for a few minutes then grill. You will have less concern about over grilling and get a nicer char.

2. If you are eating alone, you can still sous vide the whole piece of meat. After sous vide, cut in half and freeze the rest. For next meal, reheat at the same temperature by sous vide. Still will not over cook. Restaurants do that all the time.

dcarch

Comment

Tri-tip looks excellent, nice work!
          --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
          www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ozric View Post
            Anybody got any suggestions for the rest of the bottle? Besides toss it (my current first choice).
            W O W. Beautiful beef!

Umm... perhaps a Bloody mix?
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
              A picture is worth a 1000 words. Perfect meat!

Suggestions:

1. For thin piece of meat, after sous vide, put it in the freezer for a few minutes then grill. You will have less concern about over grilling and get a nicer char.

2. If you are eating alone, you can still sous vide the whole piece of meat. After sous vide, cut in half and freeze the rest. For next meal, reheat at the same temperature by sous vide. Still will not over cook. Restaurants do that all the time.

dcarch
              for two great ideas. Thanks!

Edit: Seems that I need to spread some points around before I can give you another. Oh, well. I hope you'll accept the idea that it's the thought that counts!

Comment

Perfect looking Tri Tip!
                Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                Yoder Wichita
                Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

Originally posted by Ozric View Post
                  The warmer water will boil first. So point of the test being to prove to chefs that vac sealing warm protein is a mistake...moisture will boil out of it during the vac process.

So, best to only vac seal chilled meats.
                  Hence the reason to sear after Sous Vide.
                  Mark
                  sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                  Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

So let me ask this and perhaps it makes no difference. I'm both fascinated and skeptical about this whole deal. By that, I mean I just want to know what it can and can't do.

Starting at the premise that water boils at 212° at sea level, it boils at 202° for me due to altitude.

Given that this seems to based purely on using water to cook, can you cook higher than boiling temp depending on altitude?

I get the after cook on a grill per say but want to start at the beginning.
                    Pete
                    Large BGE
                    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                      So let me ask this and perhaps it makes no difference. I'm both fascinated and skeptical about this whole deal. By that, I mean I just want to know what it can and can't do.

Starting at the premise that water boils at 212° at sea level, it boils at 202° for me due to altitude.

Given that this seems to based purely on using water to cook, can you cook higher than boiling temp depending on altitude?

You don't want to cook at boiling with this method, too hot. You cook at the finish internal temp that you want. So a steak Med rare you cook at 127° - 130°. Potatoes at 180°. But because of this it takes longer but you will never over cook.
                      It's also a much more "gentile" way of cooking because of the lower temps.
                      Hope that helps.
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Not without a pressure cooker. SV is just a heated bath. Why would you want to cook near boiling anyway? The point of it is you can cook to the exact temp you desire... and NOT overcook.
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                          Not without a pressure cooker. SV is just a heated bath. Why would you want to cook near boiling anyway? The point of it is you can cook to the exact temp you desire... and NOT overcook.
                          Well, I guess then pulled pork or brisket, etc. is out of the question? Hell, I don't know everything that people do with these things.

Well, that's why I'm asking .

Just trying to figure out the parameters.
                          Pete
                          Large BGE
                          Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Sous vide cannot deep fry. It just heats up food below boiling, often much lower, at the exact temperature you set to better than one degree.

Impossible. Nothing can cook higher than boiling point (not talking about super heat), except in a pressure cooker.

Cooking meat temperature is critical for food safety and tenderness. Normal appliances, which have temperature inaccuracies up to 50 degrees F, can never overcome the law of thermodynamics of heat conduction. You can do the best you can "Low & Slow" and guess resting time afterwards, invariably part of the meat will be overcooked and part of it would be more rare than you like.

With sous vide, you can safely cook the meat right up to recommended safe temperature. It's like walking on a high wire except the high wire is on the ground. Impossible to get yourself killed.

dcarch

Comment

Well, I guess then pulled pork or brisket, etc. is out of the question? Hell, I don't know everything that people do with these things.

Well, that's why I'm asking .

Just trying to figure out the parameters.
                              Not true at all. Pulled pork and brisket sous vided then smoked are totally out of this world.

Rules of competition smoking may have to be re-written to include sous vide cooking.

dcarch

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
                                Not true at all. Pulled pork and brisket sous vided then smoked are totally out of this world.

Rules of competition smoking may have to be re-written to include sous vide cooking.

dcarch
                                But obviously- you'd not take them to temp in the SV bath..would you? You'd finish to temp in the smoker. I'd think?

Comment

Working...
                                X