Tip o' tri-tip sous vide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
    But obviously- you'd not take them to temp in the SV bath..would you? You'd finish to temp in the smoker. I'd think?
    This may sound crazy, pulled pork done at 145F, smoked at the same temperature.

A slightly pink pulled pork. Juicy, tender, flavorful, but no bark.

If you want bark, which is not that important for me, I suppose I would freeze the meat for a little then smoke it at a high temperature.

Some people cold smoke first then sous vide.

dcarch

Comment

I have done both butts and brisket then smoked after - most excellent! Post to come. I have another butt in the smoker right now after 8 hours at 170°. To me you need the higher temp to break down the collagen, it won't break down at 140°. But that's just to me, the results are awesome!
      Mark
      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
      Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

I love the way this thread is going, and am looking forward to the mentioned new threads!
        Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
        ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
        Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)
        Tappecue, Maverick ET-732 (x2), Maverick PT-100

SousVide Supreme, VacMaster VP112 (chamber), VacMaster Pro305 (suction)

Comment

Now we're getting somewhere

This could get touchy
          Pete
          Large BGE
          Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

I been thinking aboot ways to be KCBS legal with this method. It might take some hi-tech maybe, butt if you set up a sous vide gig over charcoal... a little tougher to control, butt doable I think. Rules say you gotta use charcol or wood... hmmmm...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Phil, if you have 120volt power I don't see why you couldn't. It's not that much different than marinating for 8 hours.....well it is different butt! As long as you finish in the smoke with a fire burning
              Prolly won't fly butt....
              I'll get a thread out tomorrow.
              Mark
              sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Originally posted by Ozric View Post
                Thanks (to all!).

Another good idea, just bad timing. My Red Dragon Weed Dragon showed up yesterday.

It's funny. I left my backyard partially unfinished last summer after I moved in, planning to finish this summer. Well, a mess of low-lying weeds that are difficult to pull took over, and I've been puzzling about how to deal with them (having dogs and all). What I was looking for was a propane torch for lighting sticks (I want to have a fire pit built by the time the Mancation shows up in May) and charcoal and found that the best one (made in the US of US components; WITH a regulator) for home use was the RDWD. Torching weeds had never occurred to me. The videos on how they work are fascinating. What synchronicity! Now I just need to get a cart for my 20 lb tank.
                That's what the wife is for, carry the tank, let the man deal with the fire end. Two 20 lb tanks means she can still carry a cooler with beer, jerky, and smoked cheese, you gotta eat while you work.

Comment

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post
                  That's what the wife is for, carry the tank, let the man deal with the fire end. Two 20 lb tanks means she can still carry a cooler with beer, jerky, and smoked cheese, you gotta eat while you work.
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Conumdrum View Post
                    Son, if Louie get hold O you, you gonna be beat wet pulp.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

Comment

Now you know why I'm divorced. duck-n-frickin-run
                      Yoder YS640, Weber Performer Platinum, Weber OTG, Weber Q220, Traeger BBQ125 Executive
                      ThunderDome Vortex, Smokenator 1000, GrillGrates, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker (6" & 12")
                      Weed Dragon Torch with Squeeze Valve (VT2-23SVC), Looftlighter, BernzOmatic High Intensity Torch Head (TS8000)

Comment

I said it, you didn't. I would never treat my wife like that, she would help me as much as she could. Really. She would call me every 10 minutes to make sure I ain't sent fire towards the house.

I been married almost 30 years. No way in hell she would carry that stuff or call me every 10 minutes. I love her dearly. Just a joke, but wishful thinking eh? Any woman that can carry that willfully, lets go back to this commercial: Remember it? Cold War classic.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=322_1372274991

Comment

I remember that one LOL!!
                          Weber Smoky Joe
                          18" Weber Silver
                          22.5" Weber Gold
                          22.5" Weber Silver
                          UDS X 2
                          Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
                          Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
                          Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
                          Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
                          Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
                          Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
                          Blackstone three burner flat top
                          5" AMZNPS
                          Vortex x 2
                          Maverick ET 73
                          Maverick ET 732
                          Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
                          Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
                          Pitmaster iQue 110
                          sigpic

Comment

Looks like a great way to cook a tri-tip. One of these days I'll convince the wife to get a sous vide... in the meantime I'll just live through you guys who actually have one. Thanks for sharing and making me hungry this morning!
                            Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
                            Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
                            A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
                            A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
                            Frogmats
                            Maverick ET 732
                            Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dsgarner06 View Post
                              Looks like a great way to cook a tri-tip. One of these days I'll convince the wife to get a sous vide... in the meantime I'll just live through you guys who actually have one. Thanks for sharing and making me hungry this morning!
                              Um...you're welcome. I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X