Got Compost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Compost?

Well folks, Its been a very warm winter in the desert. So the fall leaves came late and drug out. But I finally got them all gathered, shredded and in the compost bin. And I gotz plenty this year. THis is from only 4 large ash & a Crabapple tree. All this will go into my daughter's & Mrs. Otis' gardens

Hart to tell from these pics, but the bin is about 8' long and 4' high. The white pipes are irrigation drain pipes I used to get air into the middle of the pile.

I tried this last year and it worked great. This is just a Harbor freight tarp covering the pile to keep the moisture in and help generate heat.

From time to time, I go out & stir it up to keep it aerated. Looking forward to a lot of compost this summer. That will keep Mrs Otis happy. With as many leaves as I had with just 5 big trees, I dont know what you guys with big properties do with all your tree trash.
    Attached Files
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
    I dont know what you guys with big properties do with all your tree trash.
    I use the religious method of leaf removal...the lord giveth, the lord taketh away! that and fire up the kubota diesel zero turn and grind the crap outta them. The blade tip speed is around 17500 Feet per minute (200 MPH) it vacuums the leaves up and grinds the hell out of 'em. A couple passes and you can't tell that there were leaves there.

That is a good looking compost pile...Mrs. Otis will have some super happy flowers and weggetables.
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

yep that looks good, I just mow the crap out of mine, after the compost pile is filled up!!
      Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
      Yoder YS640
      Weber Genesis
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber Performer
      Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

gave up on my rotating pos...then with all the friggin oak leaves... coffee grounds on me avocado tree...
        Sunset Eagle Aviation
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Originally posted by barkonbutts View Post
          yep that looks good, I just mow the crap out of mine, after the compost pile is filled up!!

THats how I do mine. I have a Craftsman riding mower and suck them up with that. I inherited a Compost shredder that I run them through after. Cuts them pretty fine so they do decompose pretty fast. Coffee grounds, greens, etc throughout the year and it looked as good as anything you actually BUY last year.
          Mike
          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

I would be careful with the tarp covering...Lacking in oxygen the pile will shift to an anaerobic form of compost...Stinky and slimy...Eventually it will reach a point of total decomposition but will not produce the rich nutrient rich product that you seek...Yes the aeration tubes will help...Just watch what's happening under the tarp...
            Craig
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
              I would be careful with the tarp covering...Lacking in oxygen the pile will shift to an anaerobic form of compost...Stinky and slimy...Eventually it will reach a point of total decomposition but will not produce the rich nutrient rich product that you seek...Yes the aeration tubes will help...Just watch what's happening under the tarp...
              Thanks Craig, I'll keep an eye on it. Im adding coffee grounds, greens, etc about twice weekly so I'll pay attention to that. Didnt have a problem last year but I think a lot of the difference out here is the weather is so dry that I usually have to hit it with the hose from time to time to keep it from totally drying out.
              Mike
              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

LOL My compost is currently scattered through out my yard covered with a foot of snow.

Comment

LOL My compost is currently scattered through out my yard covered with a foot of snow.

Comment

Nice compost pile, Mike! Spring fever has hit me hard this year. lol
                    jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                      Yup. 'cept we have no snow at this thyme... knock on would...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Something I need to start work on! Almost all my leaves are oak, very acidic. I usually have a lot of them....hurricane took them all away this year.
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                          Something I need to start work on! Almost all my leaves are oak, very acidic. I usually have a lot of them....hurricane took them all away this year.
                          Some years I wish a hurricane would blow all my leaves away. I'll have to remember that about Oak leaves. Lots of oak trees by our cabin in Happy Jack. The soil out here has so much caliche & so full of alkaline that we are constantly looking for ways go get more acidity into the soil.
                          Mike
                          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                            Some years I wish a hurricane would blow all my leaves away. I'll have to remember that about Oak leaves. Lots of oak trees by our cabin in Happy Jack. The soil out here has so much caliche & so full of alkaline that we are constantly looking for ways go get more acidity into the soil.
                            I've always heard that spreading lime early in the spring helps with that.

Comment

The thing about properly made compost is that it doesn't matter what it's made from it will be neutral pH (pH 7)...
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X