No announcement yet.

Walle's Wok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did you weld up the hole in the bottom of the disk? Did you weld a plug in or is it just all weld and then grind smooth?

Thanks

Comment

Just saw this thread, damn that is a man wok lol i just put my twelve dollar walmart wok on the turkey fryer burner and it works great but yours will last forever

Comment

Originally posted by Slanted88 View Post
        Man...Sure do like that! Real nice!
        Thanks, 88!

Originally posted by captmoby View Post
        How did you weld up the hole in the bottom of the disk? Did you weld a plug in or is it just all weld and then grind smooth?

Thanks
        I've done it both ways. Easiest way is to cut a plug, weld it in, and lap it down smooth.

Originally posted by Pandemonium View Post
        Just saw this thread, damn that is a man wok lol i just put my twelve dollar walmart wok on the turkey fryer burner and it works great but yours will last forever
        Thanks, Pand! I'll bet there's no difference in the taste of the food! It's all good!

Comment

Bump.

Such a great idea. It never ceases to amaze me the amount of ingenuity that goes into outdoor cooking and smoking...and this is so cool!

Thought the new guys could gain from seeing this too. This has been on my list for a while, but I am going to get off my butt and build one of these when I get a bit of free time.

Thanks Tracey for an amazing inspiration.
          BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
          Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
          I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Thanks Dana I hadn't seen this post.....I may have to through something together...and wok that way oh I mean talk that way, no no cook that way is what I meant
            and hell here are some for ya bud
            Jerod
            GOT-Q-4-U bbq team
            sigpic

Comment

Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
              Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
              1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
              Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
              Weber Smokey Joe
              Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
              Pink Thermapen
              Purple Thermapen

Comment

Dang!

Dang, if that isn't one of the coolest builds I ever saw!

Just followed BBQE's link to this thread, and was blown away.

Fantastic work, WALLE!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wntrlnd77 View Post
                  Dang, if that isn't one of the coolest builds I ever saw!

Just followed BBQE's link to this thread, and was blown away.

Fantastic work, WALLE!
                  Thanks!! Talk about a bumpity bump!! Take what I've done and improve it. Can't wait to see what Dana comes up with

Build, brother, BUILD!!

Comment

Modifications

Sharing these recent mods because I know Dana is damn near ready to start making his...

These deal with the pin and adjustment on the burner. A PITA holding, pinning, etc when setting it up, and on this wok, the holes were just a little off, not allowing me to adjust the burner out far enough for crab/coffee boils.

So....I introduce to you the simple slot slider!

Old set up with pin in place. you can see the small hole where the pin post will go. I pinned it before drilling to ensure the burner was level.

Burner leg showing the old adjustment holes and the new post hole.

And the adjustment.

So there it is, steal away if it helps ya!!

Tracey

Comment

I got my 24" disc at Tractor Supply a couple years ago. I had the hole welded up and horseshoes added for $25 bucks. I use the $29.99 bass pro fish frying setup for my burner. I'd like it to be a little higher, but it doesn't bother me so much to work at changing it.

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                        Okay, by popular demand, here are some close ups of my wok.

Disc is a JD 24". These are the #'s on the bottom if you're looking for the same one. Like I explained earlier - you get what you pay for with these. Cheap, high carbon discs will crack when you start welding on them.

It is much easier to build these upside down. Simply use a string to evenly triangulate where your legs need to be. I attached my legs with couplers so that they could be removed for break down and transport. Couplers are inset from the lip of wok 4.5" to the edge of the coupler. I tacked the coupler, screwed in the leg, than made the angle match so that the end of the leg did not stick out past the edge of the disk as I didn't want to be tripping over it.

I welded handles on mine, but they do heat up. When I built my brother's, I used two horse shoes welded at the toe, with the heels clamped over the lip that just wedge on and off. The cowboys in the bunch will understand this speak

Burner Leg - I attached my burner to be removable, again for transport. Just used a smaller pipe as a nipple, with a hole and a pin.

Your burner will be the key to your operation. I used an old restaurant stove burner, but have used hot water heater burners to trailer house heater burners. Probably something like what is on a smaller turkey fryer would be ideal. Then I simply built a cradle that the burner would set in to.

Accessories! I have built two accessories for the wok which I would highly recommend. The third will be a wind shield, but I just haven't come up with what I'm happy with yet..so no pictures of that.

Boiler - used for coffee or anything else that needs direct burner heat. With the leg on the coupler, it simply swings out and under the boiler bracket. I just used pipe as the frame with separated iron on the top. Bird mouthed the pipe so that it fits the lip of the wok exactly.

Fry Tray - Got fed up with where to put stuff during a fry, so built this Fry Tray that just sits on the edge of the wok, and allows excess grease to drip off.

As you can see, with the weight of this particular disc, the 1" legs, and by swinging the leg out, the Boiler will easily accomodate a full pot of what ever. This is a full propane tank.

More miscellaneous pictures

Depth is right at 3" which I think is perfect. Deep enough to allow plenty of room to fry using just a quart of oil, sloped gently enough so that food can be pushed up on the side during cooking, out and away from heat/oil.

And there you go - my MAN SKILLET!

Hope this helps you guys and gives you and idea of how I went about it.

COOK ON!

That thing is SWEEEEEET, Now that's talent. Can someone say chicharones!!!!
                        God, Family and Friends is what it's all about. Great food just brings them all together... First John1:9...
                        Weber Performer Gold
                        Masterbuilt 26" twins
                        Big Chief Electric smoker
                        Brinkmann barrel smoker
                        LEM sausage stuffer
                        Cabela's pro HD grinder
                        Maverick ET-732
                        ThermoWorks Thermapen
                        GrillGrates

Comment

great job!

Thats a great lookin cooker...need to get my kid and son in law to build me one. I am still using the ole hand hammered wok I bought years ago when that english guy was selling them on TV.
                          z
                          sigpic
                          GMG Daniel Boone
                          UDS
                          Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
                          Vision Kamado grill
                          Weber Genesis Silver
                          Smokin Tex
                          MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
                          Maverick ET 732
                          Brown and lime green ThermaPens
                          2 orange ThermoPops
                          A-Maze-N Tube 18"
                          A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
                          Vortex

Comment

ILOVE your work, great idea, I'm about to make my first rocket stove , maybe your idea will help me and visa versa
                            sigpic

Mary had a little lamb her father shot it dead, now it goes to school with her between two lumps of bread

Comment

Originally posted by dales133 View Post
                              ILOVE your work, great idea, I'm about to make my first rocket stove , maybe your idea will help me and visa versa
                              Thanks, Dales!

Can't wait to see your "rocket stove" and I don't even know what it is! Anything with rocket and cooking has to be gnarly good!

Comment

I can vouch for the Walle Wok. Awesome way to cook a bunch of bacon. Recently found out its A Mexican necessity for fish, called a Disca for obvious reasons
                                JT

Comment

Working...
                                X