Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you use Cast Iron fry pans? (Poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you use Cast Iron fry pans? (Poll)

I have been wanting to get a cast iron fry pan for a long time now and last week I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a 12" Lodge cast iron fry pan. I know a lot of you use cast iron but was was curious how many of you are out there. I have been trying to use my pan as much as possible to try and get it nice and seasoned. If it's anything like my plow disk Wok it just needs to be cooked on over and over and soon enough that nice non stick seasoning will be there.
    My wife received a pretty nice set of Rachel Ray pots and pans that my parents just love so I'm sure I will be using both cast iron and the Rachel Ray set but what do you guys prefer? Cast iron or a good quality teflon pan or a mixture of both. I think I better start a poll on this?
    Cast Iron is the only way to go.
    36.49%
    I prefer a good quality teflon pan.
    4.05%
    I use a mixture of both cast iron and teflon pans.
    59.46%
    Propane Smoke Shack
    UDS
    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
    sigpic

i've got two 12-inchers, two 10-inchers, a 12-inch, 6qt CI dutch oven, and a 6.5 qt enameled cast iron dutch oven. love 'em all, use 'em all whenever i can. food just seems to cook better and taste better out of them.
    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
    Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

I only have one, a 10" lodge, but I love it (oh and a 10" lodge camp D.O. for camping but that don't count). There will be plenty of C.I. in my future. There's not much that I don't cook in it.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

One other question I will throw out there. How long would you say on average it takes to get a really good season so nothing sticks in a cast iron pan?
        Propane Smoke Shack
        UDS
        sigpic

Comment

Cast Iron will outcook any teflon pan.
          "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

>>>a 10" lodge camp D.O. for camping but that don't count<<<

mike - it can count, if you want it too ~ naturally, they can be used in the oven (simply set it on the oven rack so that the legs "fall" through the rack, and the bottom rests on the rack). also, when used carefully, they work great even on glass stovetops. just PICK THEM UP, rather than slide them, and use a slightly-higher heat setting. i've been using mine almost 3 years on the stovetop with great-tasting food, and no ill effects to the stove top.

>>>How long would you say on average it takes to get a really good season so nothing sticks in a cast iron pan? <<<

good question! normal use and care, of course, will build up a great seasoning, but i had perfect results helping the process along after devising this method:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards....cast-iron-pans

some good notes/research there. i had fine results with plain, ol' olive oil, but as it turns out, it looks like flaxseed oil is the ebst way to go ~ take a look ~
            Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
              One other question I will throw out there. How long would you say on average it takes to get a really good season so nothing sticks in a cast iron pan?
              Make some blackened catfish outside on a campstove or turkey fryer.

You get that slick carbon layer built up quickly.

And some killer fish.

With cast Iron you will get less sticking if you remmeber hot pan and cold oil.
              "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

I have a 10" CI fry pan. It is my go to pan for scrambled eggs and bacon. Once I learned how to clean it properly a few years ago it has been easy to keep seasoned.

Comment

I would have traded ya a seasoned cast iron pan for a unseasoned disk.....

I am still unable to find an old disk that is made in USA.

Comment

disk?
                    Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                      everything I have read on here is you don't want to use a old used disk..sounds like you cant cook out the rust or something.I know there is a thread on here about it somewhere.

on edit I have 3 ci fry pans and have found the more hash browns I fry the better the pans get
                      sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                      members mark upright propane smoker
                      kingsford bbq
                      23"weber kettle

Comment

I have been wanting to get a cast iron fry pan for a long time now and last week I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a 12" Lodge cast iron fry pan.
                        You'll love it!

Good question...some where on here I remember DDave saying that frying a pound of bacon once a week in an old CI skillet he had put a nice seasoning on it fairly quick.
                        Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                        Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                        1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                        Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                        Weber Smokey Joe
                        Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                        Pink Thermapen
                        Purple Thermapen

Comment

The Lodge Pans come pre-seasoned...not fully seasoned so it will take a few times to bring it up to speed. However it's more about learning the intricacies of the vessel than the seasoning. Just make sure you bring the pan up to temp before adding ingredients, also when browning or frying make sure you leave the food alone. Once the food has browned it will release from the pan, move it around to soon and it will continue to stick. Cast Iron retains heat quite efficiently so don't be afraid to turn the knob down as you begin. I use mostly cast iron, I have a few pieces of stainless steel for acidic dishes as well as enameled cast iron, just don't get frustrated you'll pick it up fairly quick.

Good Luck with the pan and the upcoming CI Addiction...:-)

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                            I would have traded ya a seasoned cast iron pan for a unseasoned disk.....

I bought my disk already done from http://www.southwestdisk.com/
                            They are only around $65 if you just need the disk.
                            Propane Smoke Shack
                            UDS
                            sigpic

Comment

After cleaning a pan down to bare metal I wash it a coupla times in cold water and soap, dry it and into the oven or grill for a few minutes to remove any more moisture. Lightly coat with Pam and on the grill at 400 for an hour. I coat it and grill it three times and start using it. Never had any sticking problems tho it still needs more seasoning.

The newer Lodge pans are rougher than a corn cob but they come pre-seasoned. I've used them right out of the box without any problems. That must be one helluva seasoning. As far as how long it takes to get a good seasoning I can't say. Guess it depends on how you do it and the pan itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X