Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you use Cast Iron fry pans? (Poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All depends on what I'm cooking.
    I love cast Iron but also use non-stick and stainless.
    When doing things like beef bourguinon I break out the enamel.
    There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Good thread Ross

I mostly use non stick in the kitchen, but CI around & on the grills. I have a couple of CI "muffin" pans, that are the perfect size for Oysters on the BBQ

That said..... Honestly, I don't think I know how to use them correctly, season them correctly, clean them correctly, etc...... I just keep em around for the grill & maybe sometime in the future I will get after it the right way......

Hot Pan & Cold Oil (Thanks Hippy)......... I think I had it backwards all these years
      sigpic

Comment

I use a large Lodge cast iron grill for days when it is too cold/rainy/lazy to head outside. I made steaks on it right out of the box. I brought it up to temp and sprayed it with pam. No sticking at all. It took a few uses for it to become fully seasoned but it was definitely seasoned enough to use from the factory.
        Weber Smoky Joe
        18" Weber Silver
        22.5" Weber Gold
        22.5" Weber Silver
        UDS X 2
        Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
        Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
        Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
        Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
        Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
        Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
        Blackstone three burner flat top
        5" AMZNPS
        Vortex x 2
        Maverick ET 73
        Maverick ET 732
        Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
        Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
        Pitmaster iQue 110
        sigpic

Comment

You'll love the CI! I have four pans, 2 DO's and one large griddle I boosted from mom & dad's camping mess box...

My buddy swears by Cajun blackened fish, as mentioned above for fast seasoning. Don't use soap to clean; I use warm water -- usually a wet paper towel to wipe while hot. If you need to scrub, use sand or salt as the abrasive.

The best thing about CI is thermal mass -- those baby's are so stable. And what's cooler than cooking over an open fire or a bed of hot coals???

Edit: oh yeah -- I forgot that little CI kamado-style cooker in my avitar! Also rescued from my dad and restored.

Comment

Originally posted by Adiochiro3 View Post
            Edit: oh yeah -- I forgot that little CI kamado-style cooker in my avitar! Also rescued from my dad and restored.
            I DO remember that process & the thread ..... Really cool
            That is a really cool cooker Adio
            sigpic

Comment

love my CI pans
              sigpic
              homebuilt verticle ( aka the q-bottle )

Comment

No better way to make a good roux for gumbo than in CI.
                Rudy

sigpic
                GOSM Big Block
                SnPP - Rehab'd after 16 years
                22.5" Weber Kettle
                Smokey Joe for the RV
                Assorted Digital Thermos
                and a ugly BROWN thermapen cuz it was on sale!

Comment

Re:

I have loads of CI, but I also have a few Teflon fry pans too. There are just a few things I use the Teflon pans for and mainly that's frying eggs
                  if I'm microwaving sausage patties I've made in advance.

Most of my CI stuff is Griswold, Wagner, and Lodge. My largest is an 14"
                  Wagner from the late 1920's that's nickle plated.

The older ones have smooth cooking surfaces in the bottoms where the newer stuff is kinda rough. My Uncle once spoke of taking skillets into the plant where he worked and having the machinist there surface the bottoms of the skillet that were rough.

But here in Appalachia I see plenty of old Griswold, and Wagner skillets and lids. Some of my skillets don't have lids so I use tin pie plates for covers that fit over the top of them. Often pierce a hole in the center and
                  use an old thread spool to put on top and attach it with a lag bold with a fender washer under the bolt. Works fine on the 8" skillets if you don't have an CI lid for them. If you want to use this to bake in the range oven with just use a bare pie plate. I save my frozen pie tin's for doing this.

I often use the 8" for making corn bread and the pie tin cover to keep it warm after it comes out of the oven.
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
                    I bought my disk already done from http://www.southwestdisk.com/
                    They are only around $65 if you just need the disk.
                    I have the same one and love it - also have 2 CI pans that really cook well
                    Scarbelly

Comment

Straight up Cast Iron...Might be hard headed...Louie has her fav's...N' OMG don't wash that n' he'll do it after it cool's & some Natty's!
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Depends, like those things Fishbreath wears!
                        For everyday in the house Teflon. Anything requiring braising, a sauce or roux is in CI or CA!
                        Outdoors is all CI. Except my SS griddle.
                        Mark
                        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

My wife is funny about her pans,she won't eat out of a pan that I have cooked wild game in. Therefor,I use a deep 12" pan that used to be my grandmothers. My mom got all her cast iron pane and wanted me to have this big one,I cook all of the wild game in it.

Comment

I love cast iron cook ware. I have a 18",16" 12",four 9" a 6" a 2" and a qt sause pan.o'yea and a flat griddle or 2. One of the griddles is double sided. Yea I know I have a problem but I'm not low in iron in my diet.

Comment

If you have the money get a grizwold. Spendy but great quality.
                              Last edited by michael ark; 03-13-2012, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Whenever I need to re-season my cast iron, I make a batch of gumbo. There is something about cooking flour and oil with constant stirring that puts a great season on your cast iron cookware. Plus you get the gumbo!
                                Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X