No announcement yet.

questions for the CI crowd about flax seed oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unless the lard you buy is refrigerated then it is hydrogenated and is no better than Crisco...Well that's how I understand it anyway...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

No, this stuff is on the shelf alongside all of the other oils and crisco, etc. Not refrigerated.
      A few of my favorite things:
      Good Whiskey
      Good Food
      Bad Girls
      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Up here we get "SnowCap Lard on the shelves of the refrigerated section.

It probably has ZERO flavor, due to all the processing etc., but I rub down the firebox of my offset with it now and then, and it looks as nice and new as the day I got it.
        Fundamentals matter.

Helfen, Wehren, Heilen
        Die Wahrheit wird euch frei machen

Foods of the World Forums - From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, it's all good

BaitShopBoyz.com - Shoot the bull with the boyZ

Comment

Leaf lard, fatback, and supermarket lard - Wikipedia

Lard production

Lard can be obtained from any part of the pig where there is a high concentration of fatty tissue. The highest grade of lard, known as leaf lard, is obtained from the "flare" visceral fat deposit surrounding the kidneys and inside the loin. Leaf lard has little pork flavor, making it ideal for use in baked goods, where it is valued for its ability to produce flaky, moist pie crusts. The next-highest grade is obtained from fatback, the hard subcutaneous fat between the back skin and muscle of the pig. The lowest grade (for purposes of rendering into lard) is obtained from the soft caul fat surrounding digestive organs, such as small intestines, though caul fat is often used directly as a wrapping for roasting lean meats or in the manufacture of pâtés.

Lard may be rendered by either of two processes: wet or dry. In wet rendering, pig fat is boiled in water or steamed at a high temperature and the lard, which is insoluble in water, is skimmed off the surface of the mixture, or it is separated in an industrial centrifuge. In dry rendering, the fat is exposed to high heat in a pan or oven without the presence of water (a process similar to frying bacon). The two processes yield somewhat differing products. Wet-rendered lard has a more neutral flavor, a lighter color, and a high smoke point. Dry-rendered lard is somewhat more browned in color and flavor and has a lower smoke point. Rendered lard produces an unpleasant smell when mixed with oxygen.

Industrially-produced lard, including much of the lard sold in supermarkets, is rendered from a mixture of high- and low-quality fat sourced from throughout the pig. Lard is often hydrogenated to improve its stability at room temperature. Hydrogenated lard sold to consumers typically contains fewer than 0.5 g of transfats per 13 g serving. Lard is also often treated with bleaching and deodorizing agents, emulsifiers, and antioxidants such as BHT. These treatments make it more consistent and prevent spoilage. (Untreated lard must be refrigerated or frozen to prevent rancidity.)

Consumers seeking a higher-quality source of lard typically seek out artisanal producers of rendered lard, or render it themselves from leaf lard or fatback.

A by-product of dry-rendering lard is deep-fried meat, skin and membrane tissue known as cracklings.
          sigpic
          Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
          -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
          -AMNPS
          -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
          gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

And there you have it.
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

After all is said and done, while I still own a few cast iron skillets, I haven't used one in since I bought a set of carbon steels. I liked these so much I also bought a couple of deep sauté pans. The larger one has replaced my wok.

Carbon steel has never really caught on in the US but they are a standard in European communities. They season like CI and become non stick like CI but have 2 distinct advantages. They are lighter (but not by much) and the cooking surface is as smooth as glass. These pans turn black as the seasoning builds and they must be cared for in the same way as CI. They love high heat but you will notice eggs slide around on the polished cooking surface.

My set of 4 pans when they arrived. The 14" is a monster with a helper handle.

Chilaquiles are an example of a delicate cook.

Check the high temp sear on these steaks.
              sigpic
              -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
              -AMNPS
              gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

I have often wondered about the carbon steel pans...Thanks for the input...More research is in my near future...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gracoman View Post
                  Leaf lard, fatback, and supermarket lard - Wikipedia

Lard production

Lard can be obtained from any part of the pig where there is a high concentration of fatty tissue. The highest grade of lard, known as leaf lard, is obtained from the "flare" visceral fat deposit surrounding the kidneys and inside the loin. Leaf lard has little pork flavor, making it ideal for use in baked goods, where it is valued for its ability to produce flaky, moist pie crusts. The next-highest grade is obtained from fatback, the hard subcutaneous fat between the back skin and muscle of the pig. The lowest grade (for purposes of rendering into lard) is obtained from the soft caul fat surrounding digestive organs, such as small intestines, though caul fat is often used directly as a wrapping for roasting lean meats or in the manufacture of pâtés.

Lard may be rendered by either of two processes: wet or dry. In wet rendering, pig fat is boiled in water or steamed at a high temperature and the lard, which is insoluble in water, is skimmed off the surface of the mixture, or it is separated in an industrial centrifuge. In dry rendering, the fat is exposed to high heat in a pan or oven without the presence of water (a process similar to frying bacon). The two processes yield somewhat differing products. Wet-rendered lard has a more neutral flavor, a lighter color, and a high smoke point. Dry-rendered lard is somewhat more browned in color and flavor and has a lower smoke point. Rendered lard produces an unpleasant smell when mixed with oxygen.

Industrially-produced lard, including much of the lard sold in supermarkets, is rendered from a mixture of high- and low-quality fat sourced from throughout the pig. Lard is often hydrogenated to improve its stability at room temperature. Hydrogenated lard sold to consumers typically contains fewer than 0.5 g of transfats per 13 g serving. Lard is also often treated with bleaching and deodorizing agents, emulsifiers, and antioxidants such as BHT. These treatments make it more consistent and prevent spoilage. (Untreated lard must be refrigerated or frozen to prevent rancidity.)

Consumers seeking a higher-quality source of lard typically seek out artisanal producers of rendered lard, or render it themselves from leaf lard or fatback.

A by-product of dry-rendering lard is deep-fried meat, skin and membrane tissue known as cracklings.
                  YUP!
                  That's what I thought...
                  The lard I can buy has little of the great attributes of the lard I have read about...So I don't use it anymore...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Good call Gracoman. I used the Sheryl Canter method several years ago with good results.

Comment

Soooooo. Tthere's lard and there's lard...
                      A few of my favorite things:
                      Good Whiskey
                      Good Food
                      Bad Girls
                      sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
                      Certified Glock Armorer

Comment

Originally posted by Snarlingiron View Post
                        Soooooo. Tthere's lard and there's lard...
                        Well put Roscoe...Well put...

I figure ya gotta make yer own to get the good stuff and I'm just too lazy to do that...
                        Craig
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                          Well put Roscoe...Well put...

I figure ya gotta make yer own to get the good stuff and I'm just too lazy to do that...
                          The “wet” method ain’t too bad..especially with cold weather. Just set the pot outside overnight and harvest the lard in the AM.
                          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                            The “wet” method ain’t too bad..especially with cold weather. Just set the pot outside overnight and harvest the lard in the AM.
                            Looks like I need to learn about this
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Leaf lard is what my grandparents used. You can buy it online but its kinda pricey.

Here's a page from my Grandmother's Fanny Merritt Farmer's Boston Cooking School cook book that she received as a wedding present in, I think, 1915.
                              sigpic
                              -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                              -AMNPS
                              gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

Here,s a good read on seasoning fat, and an excelent CI site in general.
                                http://www.castironcollector.com/seasoning.php
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X