Dutch Oven Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch Oven Table

I've been looking around online trying to get ideas on making a table for my dutch oven cooking. What I'm wondering is how thick the steel needs to be. I've seen 10 ga., 3/16", 1/8" etc. Kinda all over the place.

I'd like to keep it as thin as possible (for weight), but not so thin that it warps or burns through easily. Anyone have a table, and if so how thick / heavy is it?

Another approach I'm thinking of is maybe using expanded steel for strength and then just covering that with a real thin sheet of metal to keep the weight down. But I have a feeling that would burn through pretty easy.
    Mike
    Life In Pit Row

Mine is 3/16 it sit's on top of my fish cooker. Works good, now ya reminded me I need to finish a wind fence for it!
    Sunset Eagle Aviation
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Another consideration is that if you go too heavy on the steel, it will become a heat sink. Have you considered maybe tile? Some of the guys have used them to cook on successfully. Just a thought.
      JT

Comment

Hmmmm..... I'm currently redoing the counter tops in my kitchen with porcelain tile, and I might just have enough left over to make somethin' up!

Thanks for the idea!
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Why do you need a "table"? I just put mine right on the fish cooker. Now I can see the need for wind break...
          Mark
          sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
          Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
            Why do you need a "table"? I just put mine right on the fish cooker. Now I can see the need for wind break...
            Cause I still do it with charcoal...my bestest answer. Set the plate on top of the cooker & get the coal's hot with da weed burner.
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

This may give you an idea. It gives the dimensions, just not the thickness. If I get in to Sportsman's Warehouse in the next couple of days, I'll look at the one they have there and let you know on the thickness.

http://www.campchef.com/store/item/2...h_legs_38.html
              sigpic
              Smoke Vault 24

Comment

MY Dutch Oven table is 14"W X32" L and 29" H the Table is about 1/4" thick and has a lip on it of 1" angle tacked to the table...has legs that plug in and thumb screw to tighten....got it at Cabella (?) FT. Worth last year about 100 bones. I probly could have made it or had it made for me by one of my buddies...but as the wife said, "Ya wanted it ,ya got it and Your happy ".and she is right I love it and use it and have it set up ....next to my Drum. Hope that this helps.
                sigpic

Comment

Cause I take mine camping alot, and usually the only suitable spot on the ground to put it is right next to the camp fire ring, which really sucks when the fire is smoking really bad and making your eyes, nose and throat burn. Plus it messes with the temperature of the DO.

So, a table that I can put up where ever I want, plus not have to get down on the ground to stir/mix/pour/etc. is just what the doctor ordered.
                  Mike
                  Life In Pit Row

Comment

I put the charcoals in a metal oil pan and put the dutch oven in that for cooking. I put the oil pan in the bottom of my weber. It's above ground, so no bending over and when I'm done I can use the weber for bbq later.

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                      Cause I take mine camping alot, and usually the only suitable spot on the ground to put it is right next to the camp fire ring, which really sucks when the fire is smoking really bad and making your eyes, nose and throat burn. Plus it messes with the temperature of the DO.

So, a table that I can put up where ever I want, plus not have to get down on the ground to stir/mix/pour/etc. is just what the doctor ordered.
                      Gotch - that makes sense to me. DO you put the coals on it also?
                      Mark
                      sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Gotch - that makes sense to me. DO you put the coals on it also?
                        That's the plan.
                        Mike
                        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                          That's the plan.
                          Way cool way to cook!
                          Great idea for the hunt camp.
                          I learn, I learn, I learn..now if I could just quit forgettin.
                          Mark
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah. I heat up the coals in the pan, then use long tongs to put the coals on top, then set the dutch oven on the coals. Makes everything nice and tidy. The sides of the weber act as your wind break. Also check out Byron's dutch oven recipes for alot of good recipes. They even tell you how many charcoals to use on top and bottom for cooking.

Comment

This is the design I was gonna basically follow: http://www.camp-cook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194 Haven't gotten around to the build yet, but yeah, ya gotta have a good work station to stand at that's up outta the dirts and dust, and be comfortable working at. You can get leg sets from Northern tool or Harbor freight too.
                              sigpic

Beef. It's whats for dinner.

Comment

Working...
                              X