This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sourdough starter in action

There are as many ways to make sourdough as there are to smoke ribs or butts. This is just my way, for right now. It is always changing as I learn more from others.

Meet Carl

This is my 'firm' starter. If you want to read about Carl's origins google "carl griffith sourdough". Carl is hydrated to about 66% right now. He lives in the refridgerator until I want to bake, then I feed him and we make sourdough/wild yeast bread.

I measure my bread formulas/recipes in grams, but you can convert them to ounces. It is the ratio that is important.

Today I made bread with this 72% hydration formula
    130 gr starter (Carl)
    305gr H2O
    1 1/2 tsp toasted seseame oil
    1/4 cup toasted seseame seeds
    400gr bread flour
    50gr whole wheat flour
    10gr salt

I started by weighing Carl last night.

He weighs 88 gr and I need 130gr. Carl has been in the fridge for a few days so I need to feed him so he has enough strength to raise my dough. From my understanding of sourdough you always want to feed at least twice the amount of starter with flour. The amount of water is unimportant to the starter, it only needs to hydrate the dough. Water only matters to the baker and recipe. The starter doesn't eat water.
    So, unless I want extra starter (today I don't want too much) I have to get rid of some of the old starter and feed what is left.

This is what I fed, with the container I start with 30gr, not much huh?
    I use a 1-2-3 feeding method. One parts starter, two parts H2O, three parts flour. I like to give my starter lots to eat! I have read, and believe that the more you feed it, meaning ratio of flour, not water, the more active the starter is and the more flavorful it is.

Here I have the 30gr of starter with 60gr of H2O

Now, 90gr of flour

I like to use a chopstick to mix it with. It minimizes the mess. I do all the mixing in the pint container. The chopstick cleans the sides and does a really efficient job.

This is Carl after a good nights work.

It's kind of like muffin mix

When I make my dough I mix everything in one bowl and just tare out the scales after each addition.
    Here is 130gr of Carl with the seeds, oil, and H2O.
    I saved the extra fed starter/Carl and put it in the fridge for the next bake/build.

add the flour.

The only tool I use to mix is a bowl scraper, I don't take the dough out of the bowl and I don't add any more flour and my hands don't touch the dough or get dirty. I do use my hands later, after the dough is developed. But my hands stay clean and so does the counter. The only thing that I have to wash is the bowl and my bowl scraper.

I fold the dough onto itself, in the bowl about 20 turns, until it is just hydrated and leave it for 20 minutes, then I fold it onto itself again two more time, about 20 times each time. Again, I do that two more times at 20 minute intervals. I added the salt after the second 'bowl fold'. I guess the salt interfers with the yeast development if you add it too early I just do it out of habit at this point.

Here is fold 2 and 3

You can see the dough coming togeather and the gluten starting to form.

Here is is turned out onto the counter after 1 hour of folding the dough onto itself in the bowl.

Next I do a series of two or three "stretch and folds" instead of the traditional 'kneading', on the counter...don't know if anyone is still awake to want to see that...if so I can post. I won't assume so.
    Thanks for looking at how I do my sourdough mixing.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by moselle; 03-10-2010, 09:10 PM.
    "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Hey MO, Nice post. Your right about the number of ways of keeping starters. On a bread baking forum I belong to there is a non SD method which sounds real interesting to me. It's a water roux formula which I am looking forward to trying. As for me anymore, I will get a starter going and keep it up for a couple months and let it die ( BAD) so mostley I make sponge type breads now which really is just a young starter as you know. I did post on here awhile back on how to convert any bread recipe into a sponge method. I am gonna give you for the well defined post.

Comment

Awesome post MO! Gimme Mo!
      I have some precioust to me starter I am just waiting to start! I love the post, sourdough has been a bit intimidating for me. You have broken it down wonderfully! Thank you for the amazing post!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Thanks for the tutorial MO....I appreciate these threads....
        Last edited by ALX; 03-11-2010, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Appreciate that....still work in-progress with my starter. It works just wanna get better. Thanks!
          Sunset Eagle Aviation
          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great show MO. My wife makes our sourdough, took her years to get it all figured out. I go crazy for a couple of days waiting for it to be turned into cinnamon rolls. She never makes enough. They always dissappear between me, the boys and the grandkids before I get tired of them. But sourdough is a real delicacy that is cheap to make, ya just need patience and a fine tuned skill. A skill which looks to me you got going on. You gotta be a hero in your house when ya make this stuff. I don't know anybody that doesn't like it.
            sigpic

Comment

I like that bowl folding method. Great post and from me.

Now do we get to see that baked loaf?
              Keith

Comment

Great post Mo, looks as if you're doing great with it, keep us posted on your skills.
                20x36 BYC by Klose Modified
                36" Jenn-Air NG Grill
                22" webber
                several burners
                pool/spa (of course)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kingudaroad View Post
                  Now do we get to see that baked loaf?
                  Thought you'd never ask

I wanted to show one more thing I've learned. Most books tell you to put a pan in the bottom of the oven and either put ice cubes, or water in the pan to make steam. That or spray the sides of the oven to make steam. Both these methods are very hard on the oven and can short things out or break glass. Someone on a breadmaking forum I am on figured out that if you cover your loaf with an oven proof bowl during baking it provides enough steam through evaporation to give the needed effect.

Here is my fully risen loaf, slashed and ready to go in the oven

Covered with SS bowl, in the oven for 20 minutes

after 20 minutes half baked

20 more minutes uncovered to brown and for crunchy crust

There you go...bread.
                  Thanks for looking. I love making bread and it was fun to share a bake!
                  "And I SWORE I would not read, much less post in that thread, dammit!

Comment

Just amazing Mo. to ya...
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    I plan ahead, that way I don't do anything right now.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    KCBS CBJ

Comment

Madame Moselle, what a wonderful tutorial you shared with us. Amazing work Your bread is quite beautiful. And a kick ass tip, with the oven proof bowl ! Fantastic thread Mo! Thanks for sharing.
                      Ryan

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
                      Clint Eastwood

sigpic

Comment

That's more work than I'm willing to put in for a loaf of bread, but it sure looks good!
                        sigpic
                        Smoke Vault 24

Comment

[QUOTE1/4 cup toasted seseame seeds

add the flour.
                          [/QUOTE]

Mo - I like the sounds of toasted seseame - great idea and good looking round of bread.
                          Tracey

Comment

Just amazing! Thanks for sharing!!
                            Keith

Comment

That's just awesome. Great thread, great tutorial, just awesome!!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
                              X