True 911 Brisket IT Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True 911 Brisket IT Question!

I have a brisket in the smoker now, two electronic probes... One reading 198 the other reading 192, both inserted horizontally into the flat with the fat side up.

I know OF the probe/toothpick test but am not positive where to be testing it. Obviously the point is done and nice and tender with the fats melted but do I do the probe test in the point or the flat? I tried in the flat horizontally inserting but the meat felt somewhat tough.

Hoping someone can help me so I don't overdo this brisket... Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Don't worry about the point at all. It's the flat you want tender, take it higher. I cook at 250 and always foil them, so usually around 203 they are good. Also a low quality brisket may never prove tender. That's what I'm faced with in Canada so I usually go 203 and let it rest in a cooler a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds as if your almost there I'd take it to 200 then wrap in foil then into a cooler with some warm towels over it for at "least" an hour or 2 if not more.
      Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
      Weber 22.5" WSM
      Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
      Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
      Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
      Weber 18.5" Kettle
      Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
      Weber Smokey Joe
      GMG Daniel Boone
      Pit Barrel Cooker
      Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
      6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
      Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
      The Vortex

Comment

Yeah I started it last night at around midnight and it's almost 11a now so coming up on 12hour mark makes me feel good that it's at least "on schedule" for the most part.

This brisket came from the local supermarket so might not be as tender as upper quality ones, but I need it for 6:30pm, so I planned on letting it rest foiled in the cooler for a few hours until 2-3 or so, then into the oven set to 170 still foiled for the next 3-4 hours to hold.

Is that all doable with the brisket coming out alright?

Comment

Also, should I go by the temp of the lower prove or the higher one?

Comment

Originally posted by grantw View Post
            Don't worry about the point at all. It's the flat you want tender, take it higher. I cook at 250 and always foil them, so usually around 203 they are good. Also a low quality brisket may never prove tender. That's what I'm faced with in Canada so I usually go 203 and let it rest in a cooler a couple hours.

Once it's all done, should I take the point and flat apart and cut them separately or just cut the whole brisket at once? I've usually taken them apart before smoking but wanted to try the method of all together.

Comment

You should be fine I'd probe it in a few places and take the average
              Masterbuilt Stainless Steel 40"
              Weber 22.5" WSM
              Weber Performer W/rotisserie X2
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Silver
              Weber 22.5" Kettle Gold
              Weber 1990 22.5" 3 Wheeler
              Weber 18.5" Kettle
              Weber 18.5" Bud Light Kettle
              Weber Smokey Joe
              GMG Daniel Boone
              Pit Barrel Cooker
              Maverick ET 73 and ET 732
              6X8 A Maze N Smoker and Tube Smoker
              Fastest Themapen on the market BLACK
              The Vortex

Comment

Basically pick a thermometer you trust like a thermopop or thermapen, I don't myself use the leave ins as a final temp. I have easily just held them in a cooler that long, just don't want it below 150. And as far as separating it, personal choice It's good all ways.

Comment

Basically pick a thermometer you trust like a thermopop or thermapen, I don't myself use the leave ins as a final temp. I have easily just held them in a cooler that long, just don't want it below 150. And as far as separating it, personal choice It's good all ways.

Can I leave it in the cooler for 6 hours or would it be better to just put in over at 170 after resting for several hours?

Comment

I honestly think you will regret less than 203 on a grocery store brisket

Comment

True 911 Brisket IT Question!

If the cooler is pre warmed with hot water or boiling water I have had them go that long. Use towels to pack it in there too. Then you can use your probe to make sure it stays above 145 then if you have to put it in the oven.

Comment

If the cooler is pre warmed with hot water or boiling water I have had them go that long. Use towels to pack it in there too. Then you can use your probe to make sure it stays above 145 then if you have to put it in the oven.

No it's just a standard white and blue cookout cooker. I was going to let it rest in there and then move it to a preheated to 170 oven still wrapped to maintain its temp after the first hour of resting.

Comment

Obviously don't keep opening the cooler , it sounds like you a remote probe. And the temp you want is the thickest part of the flat

Comment

That's all I have for a cooler. I dump a pot of boiling water in it to pre warm it and have had it go forever. One time I catered a wedding and the wedding part took way longer than I was told. Everything was all good when I opened the cooler though

Comment

That's all I have for a cooler. I dump a pot of boiling water in it to pre warm it and have had it go forever. One time I catered a wedding and the wedding part took way longer than I was told. Everything was all good when I opened the cooler though

So cooler, pour pot of boiling water in, then place double foiled brisket in there to rest will be fine to keep it resting at good quality for 5 hours?

Comment

Working...
                              X