This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Looie style trimming

Ok, here's how I cut my St. Looie ribs. Remember that I trim mine to "competition" style, removing end bones and meat many leave on.

A smallish rack of full spares here. The knife is a good quality thin blade boning knife, and yes, it's SHARP!

First off, I trim off the small end bone/meat flaps at both ends of the rack:

Then trim off the skirt meat. I save all this and the tips for sausage making, or other uses.

Next, grasp the slab at the breastbone end, and locate the cartilage/rib bone connection point. You will feel the "bend" starting in the hunk there.

Once located HERE:

Lift the slab and 2 bones down make a cut thru the rack as shown. Make the cut thru the next cartilage joint down, and long enough to allow your finger thru the cut and the knife blade to be inserted below it.

Firmly pull the knife blade straight down, cutting thru the cartilage tips.

Lay the rack down- here's what they should look like:

Then make the cut severing the tips from the rack.

Next, the membrane is removed from the back side of the rib. Use a clean, dry paper towl to do this. "tease" and edge of the membrane up and work the flap across the whole width of the membrane.

Then, using a smooth, firm motion, pull the membrane from the slab.

Next, trim off any fatty spots/pockets

And there you have a nice slab of St. Looie style ribs!

Now- just a few words on how to prep for smoking:

I use a mustard slather. Any old mustard is fine...the idea is to allow the rub to adhere better and more to stick to the meat. Then SHAKE the rub on in a solid, even coat. DO NOT RUB! It's just a noun, not a verb...LOL!

Flip the slab and treat the bone side the same. You can go a bit lighter on the rub on this side, as most of the meat is on the other. Wrap and chill if possible for a couple hours before hittin' the smoke!

Last edited by DDave; 09-16-2017, 05:34 PM.
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

just shameless shots of hunky rub.... where's the beef?????
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Was not MY idea... ask the photographer. Heh... Hmmm are there St Looie beef ribs?!?
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

hey, here in N.M. we take em any way we get em..

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Nicely done there Rich.
          Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

I'm confused, do you boil them before or after you apply the rub???

Comment

Originally posted by Earache_My_Eye View Post
              I'm confused, do you boil them before or after you apply the rub???
              DURING- That's the trick to award winning ribs!

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                DURING- That's the trick to award winning ribs!

SHHHHH....don't tell Bubba...just keep beatin' him at the comps!!...

Comment

Originally posted by Earache_My_Eye View Post
                  SHHHHH....don't tell Bubba...just keep beatin' him at the comps!!...
                  We need a dying gasp kinda laughing ico...ooops..I peed myself I think...

BRB!

Comment

Good job,
                    Could you show me again.? I know alot of people think; look at al that waste. But it's not, the ribs are much better and just look at what you can do with the trimmings. The last time I trimmed four slabs here, I ended up with 3.5 pounds of clean ( after trimming trimmings) Trimmings hmmm. Made 2 real nice fatties out of it. And I want to thank you and Capt. Dan for all the trimmings from the 10 slabs from the Flushing rib burn. I see Sausage, Fatties and some fresh ground pork for a big mess of potstickers in the near future.

Comment

Only thing i might change is try peanut oil instead of mustard for rub to stick too.I know some folk who have won some ching who use it/champs of the whole kcbs deal...

Saw a show while back where a 5 star chef used the peanut oil on a planked smoked fish.His quote was that it allows maximum smoke/flavor penetration on a quick hit like fish smoking....My 2 cents...Each his own!!!

Nice job on the pics.I must have 50 pounds of trimmings from comps this year

Lots of sausage etc. this winter.....
                      Last edited by ALX; 10-13-2009, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ALX View Post
                        Only thing i might change is try peanut oil instead of mustard for rub to stick too.I know some folk who have won some ching who use it/champs of the whole kcbs deal...

Saw a show while back where a 5 star chef used the peanut oil on a planked smoked fish.His quote was that it allows maximum smoke/flavor penetration on a quick hit like fish smoking....My 2 cents...Each his own!!!

Nice job on the pics.I must have 50 pounds of trimmings from comps this year

Lots of sausage etc. this winter.....

great. I have read that layering flavors help also. one of the so called secerts of winning comps.
                        for example using a sauce that is not going to burn and that is fiiiiine tasting as the base then put the rub on instead of mustard ect.
                        I like your idea more then the mustard.. thanks ALX..

Comment

Still my favorite...I'll take a good St Looooooie anyday over the rest.

2 Weber Kettles
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Chargriller Smoking Pro Offset
                          Brinkman ECB
                          Charbroil 940X
                          Project UDS
                          Brinkman Turkey Fryer

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                            great. I have read that layering flavors help also. one of the so called secerts of winning comps.
                            for example using a sauce that is not going to burn and that is fiiiiine tasting as the base then put the rub on instead of mustard ect.
                            I like your idea more then the mustard.. thanks ALX..
                            I have a thread i did on the average triple layering for ribs-nothing speacial in comp world....Maybe i should post.....I would suggest the peanut oil on anything .......For comps you better layer...i would not eat comp food everyday-done for the 1 bite of judges....
                            Last edited by ALX; 10-13-2009, 10:41 AM.

Comment

I have a thread i did on the average triple layering for ribs.Maybe i should post.....
                              I would suggest the peanut oil on anything say compared to olive oil.For instance you would not use olive oil when deep frying a turkey.Peanut oil has a higher burn/quality to it....Try it....-the mustard has no benefit outside stuff sticks to it.Peanut oil is Excellent on the poultry as well...................For comps you better layer...I am a grower of quality produce etc...i understand layering my friend....My soil i work hard to build is my flavor-but,like the HUNKY might say,not everyone can be exposed to this quality in a fast food world-i have to sell to high end restaurants went i want too-right now im bustin my chops in government land to get away from the fast food world i live in brother............

ALX, please do. anything to help make things better. that is what I have always tried to do. I am new at this and have been taking it all in. so far so good. everything off the smoker is gobbled down with words uttered "good stuff, man this is great, the best I have ever eaten" I get encouraged with that and strive to do better.
                              your garden sound sweet. and layering soils is key to any good gardening. that is what I am trying to do to my new garden. which seems to be on the back burner right now.
                              thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X