Elk Italian Sausage, Elk Bacon Burgers. and Elk Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elk Italian Sausage, Elk Bacon Burgers. and Elk Jerky

I was lucky enough to bag a decent little bull this year. I do all of my own butchering so I know what I get and the quality of the meat. I set aside the chunks and trim pieces into 10 pound vacuum bags for future grinding projects, then into the freezer they go. I pulled a few bags out last weekend and commenced to making some good stuff. I ground 10# of elk and a 10# pork shoulder (Boston butt) along with 5# of pork belly trim from my last bacon project then mixed it all together for a few minutes to get an even distribution then I added some commercial Italian sausage seasoning from Checkered Past via Rich. I mixed the 25# batch for another 5 minutes or so then I ran the seasoned meat through the grinder again. I packaged it in 1.25# vacuum bags and stacked them in the freezer.

Next I ground and mixed 18# of elk along with 6# of bacon ends and 5 pounds of 80/20 beef burger. This gave me a final product of 80/20 lean/fat elk bacon burgers. These things are outstanding. I bagged all 30# in 1.5# bags and added them to the freezer.

Since I had a few hours left with nothing to do , I sliced 5# of elk and 5# of pork loin to make jerky. The elk was treated with some Mad Hunky Jerky Cure and Seasoning and the pork loin jerky was made with Owens BBQ Honey BBQ Jerky seasoning. I used a half cup of Guiness Blonde beer to add a tad more flavor to the jerky for both kits. I coated each slice individually in the seasoned beer and poured the leftover in the bag to let it cure overnight. Next day they went into the dehydrator at 150° and within a handful of hours it was ready for eatin. Both of the seasoning kits are outstanding. They add nice taste without overpowering the natural meat flavor. I highly recommend them both.

Last edited by AJ; 11-02-2017, 09:52 PM.

Glad to see you put that elk to good use. One more thing I'd recommend is the onion sausage seasoning that you can get from Rich if you haven't already tried it.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

That looks great, wish I had some to chew on this weekend for the opening of gun season here in Texas.. Outstanding!!
      Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

WooHoo! Dat’s some good eating right there..Fine work! !
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Dang it man that sounds good,,,I like your burger recipe,,,,,

Hopefully Muzzleloader season will do us the same,, starts in a couple weeks,,, going to sight in this weekend,,, Hoping to get a nice Cow or spike bull.
          Desert Storm Vet - USS Midway CV41 - decom crew.
          1930 Fridge Build
          MES 30" With Mailbox Mod
          Therma Pen
          Maverick 732
          Mini Therma Pen
          Frog Mats
          Weber Junior
          AMPS & AMPTS

Comment

Awesome!!! ---

Now I'm Jonesin' And Jealous!!!

Thanks AJ !!

Bear
            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

That looks great AJ - Need to try making some of that pork jerky
              ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...08143#poststop
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Very nice indeed.

Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
                  My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
                  @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Awesome job!
                    sigpic

Comment

Excellent! Great job...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post

Works for me...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                        Paul

Comment

Nice work, nothing like doing it up yourself. At least then you know what you got. That's why we do all of our own processing as well. Good looking jerky as well!
                          Charbroil SFB
                          GOSM
                          MES
                          Dutch Ovens and other CI
                          Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                          Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X