No announcement yet.

This thread almost answers a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems to me there is a time and place for all of them...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

Jut my 2 cents:

There are only two advantages to enameled; they look pretty and they clean up like regular cook stuff. In short, low maintainence.

The open question on the Chinese product is durability. We have a Le Creuset kettle given us as a wedding gift nearly 50 years ago that's still going strong. Will the same apply to the Chinese-made enameled CI?

Daddy always said, "don't be afraid to buy the best. You'll never be disappointed." If I were in the market for coated CI, I'd keep that in mind.
      But we hae meat and we can eat
      And sae the lord be thanket

Comment

There were a lot of questions about enameled cookware, so I tried to start an informative link on the topic. Not that many people wanted to chime in, but here it is in case you missed it. BTW, I still love my Kirkland Signature enameled cast.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20226
        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

All of my iron came from antique shops and flea markets... all un-enameled and OLD, refurbished by me. I bought a cheapo Chinese 8" skillet once that lasted aboot 2 years before it cracked in half.

Bottom line, buy the good stuff. Haven't bought the enameled ware... yet...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

All of my CI is either Griswold or Wanger and all "vintage". Enamel
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
            Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
              All of my CI is either Griswold or Wanger and all "vintage". Enamel
              Yup, Griswold and Wagner here too...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

No Griswold on my end, cuz the collectors have driven the prices out of sight. But, with the exception of the previously mentioned Le Crueset, and a Calaphon 12-qt oval, all my CI is uncoated. Some of it goes back to the 19th century. Some were acquired new, such as the 14" Dutch oven (real DO, that is, not the kettles most call DOs). Most came from estate sales, antique malls, etc. Last time I checked I had something like 30 pieces.

When I worked at Fort Boonesboro, demonstrating 18th century cooking techniques, I had access to one piece we'd dated to ca 1790/1810. Collectors would go ga-ga when they saw me toss it into the fire. But, hell, that's what it was designed for. And had been doing just that for 300 years.

But the OP asked about enameled pieces, and which brand to get. Bragging on the uncoated stuff we have may make us feel warm and fuzzy. But it doesn't answer his questions.

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
                  ...But the OP asked about enameled pieces, and which brand to get. Bragging on the uncoated stuff we have may make us feel warm and fuzzy. But it doesn't answer his questions.
                  True dat... sorry...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Wasn't intending to brag, just don't have enamel or understand it. And if you go back to the origin of the thread, it was a question of enamel or not, CI.
                    CI is so east to clean that I don't understand the need....just me.
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Obviously I don't disagree with you, Mark. Properly cured CI is easy to clean (just keep soap away from it), and is the original non-stick cookware.

I do understand why some folks would prefer the enameled versions; especially if they're not into CI per se. It's aestethically pleasing and comparatively low maintainence. Plus there are people who store food in the pot, and that doesn't work with raw CI and acidic foods.

For many folks, that's an appealing package.

Of course, I don't reckon I'd use enamaled CI on a live fire. But what do I know?

BTW, I'm curious how many of those wangers you have.

Comment

Originally posted by HistoricFoodie View Post
                        Obviously I don't disagree with you, Mark. Properly cured CI is easy to clean (just keep soap away from it), and is the original non-stick cookware.

I do understand why some folks would prefer the enameled versions; especially if they're not into CI per se. It's aestethically pleasing and comparatively low maintainence. Plus there are people who store food in the pot, and that doesn't work with raw CI and acidic foods.

For many folks, that's an appealing package.

Of course, I don't reckon I'd use enamaled CI on a live fire. But what do I know?

BTW, I'm curious how many of those wangers you have.
                        Okay, I get that.
                        I only have 3 or 4 Wagners, most of the rest (40ish) are Griswold with a few BSW, 1 Lodge and 1 Cabelas (Fish frier). All different sizes and 16 corn bread molds.
                        I mostly only use 4 or 5 of them....butt they are there!
                        Mark
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X