Flax oil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
    Is that a NO on bacon grease/pork fat Paul?
    I will consult my legal team on that.
    Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

If my store has flax, I'd be happy to send ya a bottle Craig.
      jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
        I will consult my legal team on that.
        I think I have done some in the past with bacon grease, just not 100%'sure
        sigpic

Comment

Please do not use evoo as some have suggested. Go by smoke point here's a guide for that. I personally use peanut oil, but safflower seems to be the best and I have seen it cheap in local grocers.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/c...it-matter.html

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
            I think I have done some in the past with bacon grease, just not 100%'sure
            Hey Bud, don't make me show you how to reheat Texas gator chili in CI........
            Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
              Hey Bud, don't make me show you how to reheat Texas gator chili in CI........
              Keep it Kosher bud, Ok..... Check oot my blog bud, see how its done Texass style, in Michigan
              sigpic

Comment

Everbuddy has their way of doing things... right or wrong. I'd like to try the flax oil if I could find it.

How aboot Mobil 1?

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Im a Quaker State man myself...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                    In my little ol town I cant find flax...
                    This seems to be the most recommended oil for seasoning my pans...
                    What would be my next best choice....
                    I buy flax seed oil in a health food store, try that. It's the best for seasoning CI and gives them the hardest finish.

Comment

I just use Pam most of the time. I think eDJ finds flax oil in the health section of stores...if I remember correctly.
                      Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                      Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                      1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                      Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                      Weber Smokey Joe
                      Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                      Pink Thermapen
                      Purple Thermapen

Comment

You guys were joking about using motor oil, but that is exactly what my dad uses on his. He uses whatever straight, non-detergent 30 weight oil he can find. He pours a little in the pan and heats it smoke hot. Then he pulls it from the heat and scrubs it with table salt and a towel. When it looks good to him, he wipes it with another clean towel. He has done that for years. The CI at his cabin has been left for over a year without climate control and was still rust free. A little dusty, but not rusty! I have always used whatever was last cooked and a salt scrub before putting in the cabinet. For long storage, I coat with WD-40 and then burn it off, outside on my grill before re-use.

Comment

Originally posted by rpmorey View Post
                          You guys were joking about using motor oil, but that is exactly what my dad uses on his. He uses whatever straight, non-detergent 30 weight oil he can find. He pours a little in the pan and heats it smoke hot. Then he pulls it from the heat and scrubs it with table salt and a towel. When it looks good to him, he wipes it with another clean towel. He has done that for years. The CI at his cabin has been left for over a year without climate control and was still rust free. A little dusty, but not rusty! I have always used whatever was last cooked and a salt scrub before putting in the cabinet. For long storage, I coat with WD-40 and then burn it off out on my grill before re-use.
                          I suppose in the end, you're turning whatever oil you use in to carbon anyway so it shouldn't matter much what you use, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't trust it. YMMV.
                          Mike
                          Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
                            Please do not use evoo as some have suggested. Go by smoke point here's a guide for that. I personally use peanut oil, but safflower seems to be the best and I have seen it cheap in local grocers.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/c...it-matter.html
                            That would be me... sorry if I mislead anyone. Been using it for years tho, and never had a problem. Good link Cheryl, thanks for the info.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Aight...just wondering...P-Nut oil likes high heat...just trying tooo understand all the doofer recommenders...i use it...Natty Up! You scientific Cat's get it on!
                              Sunset Eagle Aviation
                              https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Flax oil...

What world did I just stumble into... Hilarious love this thread and cast iron rocks. Never would this guy consider motor oil but to each their own. And in cooking, BBQ and smoking I say do what works best for you. From my understanding EVOO has a low smoke point so burns and also can mold if left for long periods whereas Canola, grape, Flax don't. But who waits that long to use there iron again anyway. The bummer with Flax is it spoils so if you don't use it it does supposedly go bad. But we use microwaves, Tupperware, plastic water bottles and cell phones the size of bricks so I think there are bigger things to sweat than a bottle of bad Flax. Remember when a phone the size of a brick was bad? Then you wanted a smaller one? Now? Off topic sorry... Come zombie apocalypse we'll all be using motor oil to season and clean our pans. Cheers!
                                Last edited by oil99; 09-23-2014, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X