Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And this one -- 38,632 views -- probably ought to be a Sticky as well.

Dave
    CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
    UDS 1.0
    Afterburner
    Weber Performer
    Blue Thermapen
    Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
    Thermoworks Chef Alarm
    Auber Smoker Controller
    Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
    -
    "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
      And this one -- 38,632 views -- probably ought to be a Sticky as well.

Dave
      Now that you have the authority, you should
      sigpic
      New Braunfels Bandera
      New Braunfels Hondo
      4-22.5" Weber Kettles
      1-26" Weber Kettle
      24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
      Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
        Now that you have the authority, you should
        Already did.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post
          Already did.

Dave
          sigpic
          New Braunfels Bandera
          New Braunfels Hondo
          4-22.5" Weber Kettles
          1-26" Weber Kettle
          24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
          Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Cat Daddy Airplane Engineer is over 42k peeks!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

What an amazing build!! That is some amazing craftsmen ship!

Comment

Yes it is. I am gathering supplies for a build based off of this build.

Take note of exhaust placement and size compared to total cubic inches of space.

Comment

Man damn...Cat Daddy Engineer is 51k...gig looks!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

I have seen the ol girl in action...Up close and personal...The Maiden kicks ass...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                      I have seen the ol girl in action...Up close and personal...The Maiden kicks ass...
                      Mmmmmm... I'm telling Lena...

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                      Paul

Comment

A couple of years ago I did an upgrade on the Iron Maiden adding a couple of features that I originally envisioned but didn't have the time. Then once it was up and running, I just made due without...I can tell you that the upgrades make a big difference in convenience for me...I thought I would add them here to keep this thread up to date. originally posted in this thread...LINK

I wanted to add a few things to the Iron Maiden that I have never gotten around to during the initial build.
                        1. Drop Down Step
                        2. Pull out shelves

These two things will aid me greatly in cooking massive quantities of BBQ.

I design criteria that I incorporated into the shelves was to be as low profile as possible, to pull out without coming out or tipping, and also be completely removable. Here's how I did mine.

I mounted angle iron for shelf brackets. At the rear of the brackets I cut out a profile that would receive a tab from the shelf.

On each side of the shelf I mounted a tab made from angle iron that would captivate the shelf into the shelf bracket.

Here it is grabbing the shelf bracket as the shelf is slid out.

At the front of the shelf bracket I welded a hard stop on each side so you can't pull the shelf out the front.

Here it is with all the shelves extended...I just need to clean everything up and tack the expanded metal on the shelf frames.

I also added a drop down step that folds up for travel.

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                        Dana, those pull out shelves in the cooker. All the ones I've ever seen that pull out like that were made out of angle iron for support. You sure they not gonna bend under weight???

BTW, nice werk!
                        Mark,

The 1 1/2 x 1/4" metal bar stock I used for the shelves is very rigid at the distances that they cantilever over the front of the shelf bracket. You would be hard pressed to bend these. They are also supported by 2 1/2" angle.

I know in my pictures they look small and light compared to the massiveness of the smoker, but they aren't. They are solid and tight.

Also on the step, I used massive hinges since the step acts as a huge lever arm.

I also Gusseted the 3"angle I used for that with 3/8" plate steel.

I built this step super solid...I am a big guy...NFL linebacker big. I would hate for this thing to drop me on my head so I made sure it would handle the stresses of a big cook.

Finished up my project this AM...looks pretty good. I've gotta finish shining it up and then a quick pressure wash and season for the grates. I did use some new grates and recycled a couple that I have to hit with a wire brush on the angle grinder, but this is gonna make it nice and I'll have much more useable rack space.

Last edited by DDave; 09-17-2017, 11:37 AM.
                        BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                        Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                        I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Making grown mean jealous with every view!

One day maybe I'll build something to This extent

Your craftsmanship and skill continue to amaze

Comment

Looks like I was too late to witness this greatness. I just started cruising the net looking for ideas for an insulated smoker. I noticed several references to the Iron Maiden build. Unfortunately photobucket isnt cooperating with my search. Is there any way to have the pictures posted again?

Comment

I tried to PM the Engineer but seems his inbox is full up
                              Craig
                              sigpic

Comment

The iron Maiden is a thing of beauty. Sorry that PB went on the war path.
                                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X