Picanha SV style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picanha SV style

After checking a couple of Butcher shops and grocery stores, I finally got some Picanha (Sirloin cap) at a local Butcher Shop, Hobe Meats in Phoenix. They cut me 2 of them, but they didnt have the fat cap on them. After I explained that I wanted to smoke it Briskit style, they threw in some thin slices of fat to put on top to render. I've been following those goofy Brazilians on the Youtube channel, Sous Vide Everything for a while now and they positively rave about Picanha, so I had to give it a try.

I seasoned them with S&P, J.A.B, and Garlic powder and vac packed

IMG_20170917_094941449.jpg

Then into the SV for a bath. I did some more checking on the interweb about SV & smoking Picanha and found a method I hadnt heard of before. They called it "warm aging" Idea is that you bring the water bath up to 103 for 1 hour and then 121 for 5 hours, so I thought I'd give it a try.

IMG_20170917_101959641.jpg

Ugly gray meat after the water bath.

IMG_20170917_155720609.jpg

Went into the Yoder for about 3 hours at 225 with Hickory pellets to 135 IT. Looks much better now, eh?

IMG_20170917_175929393.jpg

Sliced up. It went up to about 140 but was still good and juicy.

IMG_20170917_181909194.jpg

Here's the finished plate with some deviled eggs, sauteed Asparagus, and Mrs. Otis' Cheesy taters.

IMG_20170917_182551867.jpg

The final result was very good. This was my first time with Picanha and I cut the 2nd one up for Coulette steaks and froze them. I do think I will do a more traditional SV cook on them then the "warm aging" process that I tried here. The meat did turn out tender, although not as much as I had expected it would after 6 hours in the SV. But those Brazilians are onto something with this cut of meat. The flavor was very rich and beefy. I didnt go heavy with the seasonings and just did a light dusting of JAB, so I am convinced the rich flavor was from the meat itself and not a result of the seasonings. I have GOT to try this again.
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
    After checking a couple of Butcher shops and grocery stores, I finally got some Picanha (Sirloin cap) at a local Butcher Shop, Hobe Meats in Phoenix. They cut me 2 of them, but they didnt have the fat cap on them. After I explained that I wanted to smoke it Briskit style, they threw in some thin slices of fat to put on top to render. I've been following those goofy Brazilians on the Youtube channel, Sous Vide Everything for a while now and they positively rave about Picanha, so I had to give it a try.

I seasoned them with S&P, J.A.B, and Garlic powder and vac packed

[ATTACH]27937[/ATTACH]

Then into the SV for a bath. I did some more checking on the interweb about SV & smoking Picanha and found a method I hadnt heard of before. They called it "warm aging" Idea is that you bring the water bath up to 103 for 1 hour and then 121 for 5 hours, so I thought I'd give it a try.

[ATTACH]27938[/ATTACH]

Ugly gray meat after the water bath.

[ATTACH]27939[/ATTACH]

Went into the Yoder for about 3 hours at 225 with Hickory pellets to 135 IT. Looks much better now, eh?

[ATTACH]27940[/ATTACH]

Sliced up. It went up to about 140 but was still good and juicy.

[ATTACH]27941[/ATTACH]

Here's the finished plate with some deviled eggs, sauteed Asparagus, and Mrs. Otis' Cheesy taters.

[ATTACH]27942[/ATTACH]

The final result was very good. This was my first time with Picanha and I cut the 2nd one up for Coulette steaks and froze them. I do think I will do a more traditional SV cook on them then the "warm aging" process that I tried here. The meat did turn out tender, although not as much as I had expected it would after 6 hours in the SV. But those Brazilians are onto something with this cut of meat. The flavor was very rich and beefy. I didnt go heavy with the seasonings and just did a light dusting of JAB, so I am convinced the rich flavor was from the meat itself and not a result of the seasonings. I have GOT to try this again.
    That's a lot of processes. Good on ya.
    My butcher gets Picanha in from time to time. I usually put it in a citrus marinade and cook it hot and fast, really close to the coals. It's a strange cut of beef. 1 I did turned out great. The next time. Not so good. Maybe just bad cow. I make fresh chimchurri to go with it.
    Cheers. Keep on keep in on.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Comment

That does look very good, nice work!
      --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
      www.OwensBBQ.com

Comment

works for me :-)
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Yup! Looks great!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by canadianshark74 View Post
            That's a lot of processes. Good on ya.
            My butcher gets Picanha in from time to time. I usually put it in a citrus marinade and cook it hot and fast, really close to the coals. It's a strange cut of beef. 1 I did turned out great. The next time. Not so good. Maybe just bad cow. I make fresh chimchurri to go with it.
            Cheers. Keep on keep in on.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
            Thanks Cshark74. The SV process was pretty easy, and worth a try, but Im not convinced on the "warm aging" method. Although I dont know much about aging and what that does to meat flavor, so maybe that would have some effect on why the meat had such a rich, beefy flavor,....or maye not. Could be the cut or meat quality??

The SVEverything guys do it SV for a set period of time, cut it into steaks and torch sear it. I think that will be my next method.

Originally posted by MossyMO View Post
            That does look very good, nice work!
            Thank you sir. Any progress on the new version of Tatonka Dust? I love that stuff!!
            Mike
            Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
              works for me :-)
              Thanks CA.

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
              Yup! Looks great!
              Thanks Phil. It was very good and the ONLY issue was that we thought it could have been a little more tender. Im happy with my first attempt.
              Mike
              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                .............. at a local Butcher Shop, Hobe Meats in Phoenix.
                ...off 16th st?
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                  ...off 16th st?
                  Yep, my first experience with them. I only talked with them by phone and my daughter picked up the meat (she works by there), but they seem like good people and very helpful.
                  Mike
                  Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

they've been there for years..........used to live around the corner...........
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Never heard of Picanha but it darn sure looks tasty Otis! if I got 'em
                      ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Man, that's a sweet looking plate!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sauce View Post
                          Never heard of Picanha but it darn sure looks tasty Otis! if I got 'em
                          Thanks Uncle for the points and it was tasty. Much richer taste than I was expecting.

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                          Man, that's a sweet looking plate!
                          Thanks Fish. I was curious after watching the goofy Brazilians on the SV Everything youtube channel rave about it. Will definitely be trying it again.
                          Mike
                          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Looks Awesome, Mike!!! Aunt Bee would be proud of you!!!---

Those guys are my favorite & the first place I check when doing SV on something new.

I didn't know they were Brazillians.
                            We don't get to see many here, so I can't tell one Hispanic from another, but they seem like nice guys & their videos are Great !!!

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Thanks John. Those guys are fun to watch and informative. I saw one of their videos where he (Guga) talked about their nicknames. Guga is a common nickname in Brazil for Gustavo. Mau Mau got his nickname as DJ Mau Mau some years back in Brazil, and it stuck. I dont know how Ninja got his. Certainly not from his physical stature.
                              Mike
                              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Working...
                              X