No announcement yet.

Water vs. Sand vs. Ceramic ?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago I started with water in the pan. Then about 5 years ago I went to sand, added about a cup of water and covered it in foil to make clean-up easier. Then a couple years later I switched to that ceramic rock crud for propane grills, still added the water and foil. Now, I don't use anything in there. But, also, now all I have is uprights. UDS, cabinet, mini-drum made from and ECB and a Gourmet Electric converted to charcoal/lump. In uprights, sometimes you need a diffuser and its best just to let the drippings fall on there and steam/flavor up into the smoke area.

But as been said, a well made smoker doesn't need added moisture. Just keep it closed as much as possible. All that moisture will stay right there in the smoke area giving ya alll ya need. Especially if you have the exhaust ducted down with an extension to the food grate or a quarter inch below. With it ducted down the excess smoke is exhausted and just enough stays in the smoke chamber along with the moisture to give your meat the smoke ring and moistness that your after.
    sigpic

Comment

For me the number one thing i want to avoid is the fat coming off my meat to be vaporized/burned inside my smoker. An empty thin pan in a vertical will get hot enough to do this i believe?

I have always used sand or water in a drum style smoker for this reason. That and the indirect heat aspect.
      "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

Working...
      X