No announcement yet.

Brown Sugar ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This might be a weird question but what type of brown sugar do you use dark or light brown sugar. My wife does a lot of baking and it seems like most of the recipes call for dark brown sugar instead of light for moisture reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
      i was watchin triple d (diners, drive-ins and dives) with ol guy feiri and he was doin' a kansas city bbq deal, anyway... two of the restaurants featured used rubs that included brown sugar. yea i kno' nothin' new there.

however both places baked the brown sugar dry and then they ground with a spice grinder until it was a fine powder.

so the questions are?

1. what purpose does this process serve?

2. is anyone here doing this with the brown sugar in your rubs?

thanks for the info
      my rib rub contains a good amount of b.s.- the real B.S. is what makes it what it is.. i try not to thin,grind, or water down my b.s.....i add my b.s. straight.....
      people love my B.S. based food.lol
      brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
      18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
      cast iron Hibachi
      22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
      & rotisserator
      12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
      stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
      Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
      http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
      my music recordings-
      http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

Originally posted by smokinghew View Post
        This might be a weird question but what type of brown sugar do you use dark or light brown sugar. My wife does a lot of baking and it seems like most of the recipes call for dark brown sugar instead of light for moisture reasons.
        I use dark. If you are going to use brown sugar for flavor, you might as well go balls deep or go home. Lol
        Current babies:
        -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
        -RichTee's Lang :)
        Former Lineup:
        -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
        -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
        -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
        -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
        BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Interesting....I just use turbinado sugar and have not encountered any problems.
          sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

I think this may be a topic for myth busters. Never considered drying brown sugar. Just my 2 cents but once it hits the meat it gets hydrated and all the salts and sugars start their voodoo and the spices start to adhere and/or penetrate as best they can. I can appreciate the effort, but I can't see myself ever going through the process of dehydrating some thing before I rehydrate it
            JT

Comment

I mix all of my spices and only add the brown sugar to the spice mix when I need it. That way I can alter the sugar to spice ratio if needed.
              "We were mostly a drug addled band of misfits, and dreamers".

Comment

Working...
              X