No announcement yet.

KCBS Judging Class - Feb 21st, Bixby, OK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see you and Tim, but why not put names to the folks in the pic. It would be great whether they are members here or elsewhere!

Oh yeah, nice job on the walks last year!
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Originally posted by flyin' illini View Post
      Will definitely report out. Watch that kilz.
      Merl Whitbook was our instructor. (his wife Carol and many others helped out - local Bixby folks - just south of Tulsa) He does a great job with adding context in his presentation of the material. I enjoyed it a lot.

Getting to go through a mock contest was very helpful. I found it challenging to put aside my personal taste preferences and also to not 'compare' entries to each other but instead to a 'standard'. (some of you know I am an engineer by training so I can get into the mindset of a 'standard' pretty easily - I give KCBS credit they do not have a lot 'paper' to define this standard.)

Plus, since I am personally least experienced with brisket, I feel like it was harder to judge that than ribs, chicken or pork which I have some experience with. I realize that should be irrelevant when comparing something to a standard but I think it is. Sort of like, when Merle asked if anyone in the class 'did not like BBQ' one person raised their hand. I found that quite amusing and 'relevant'.

I may try to go judge a comp since several are close by as I have little time for providing true help to a team at a comp. We will see.....

It was good to de-brief with some other students for a bit afterwards too.....
      Glen
      Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
      KCBS CBJ
      Blue Thermopen
      Profile:
      http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

Working...
      X