Brown Sugar ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brown Sugar ???

i was watchin triple d (diners, drive-ins and dives) with ol guy feiri and he was doin' a kansas city bbq deal, anyway... two of the restaurants featured used rubs that included brown sugar. yea i kno' nothin' new there.

however both places baked the brown sugar dry and then they ground with a spice grinder until it was a fine powder.

so the questions are?

1. what purpose does this process serve?

2. is anyone here doing this with the brown sugar in your rubs?

thanks for the info
    Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

That is pretty interesting. I wonder why one would do that? Maybe so the rub doesn't clump up? Good question for our rub experts
    https://youtu.be/ZcqprrIlbcIli

Comment

i believe that guy posed the question, the answer seemed to be just as simple as you stated. even distribution thru out the rub... but it seems to be alot of work?

sigpic

Comment

I think Meat-Hunter is dead on. It allows them to add it to the rub and not have it clump. Other wise they would have to put rub on the meat then the brown sugar in a two step process. This sound like a pretty nifty trick. Once on the meat moisture from the meat will rehydrate it and it will glaze.
        Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
        Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
        SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
        Yoder Wichita
        Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
        Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
        Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

So how would you do this? What temp, and for how long?

GOSM
          K.C.B.S Member # 60786
          Digital Thermometers
          Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
          140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

I use brown sugar in my homemade rub and just mix it really well. I can see doing it the way they do on the show where they are making lots of rub, but for me I only make like 2 cups at a time so my fingers separate it well enough.

Comment

Interesting. That is one of the reasons I like to use turbinado sugar in my rubs. I saw a show recently where a guy made his own brown sugar by adding molasses to white sugar.
              sigpicTrying to fit.....in the misfits....

Comment

I use the raw sugar but I grind it fine so it will stick better to the meat...and it stays blended better with the other stuff...
                Craig
                sigpic

Comment

I use a lot of brown sugar. Harder to work with in respect to it clumping are having little balls in it that need to be broken up. I used to put it in a sieve and use a spoon to crush it/ push it through the screen and found that some times it was still to moist and would ball up again our cake up.

Now I just set it out on a sheet (it is so dry in my area) and in minutes it is dry. then I add it to the blender or food processor. just to break it up. I have also found leaving it in to long turns it to dust or powder. I believe that is not good as it melts faster in that form and does not make a bark that is consitent with what I am used to.

the anti christ has clay bears and such that she soaks in water then put into the tubs of B. sugar to keep it moist. and I see they sell such things at Bed bath and beyond for that purpose. I guess baking and Qing has a need for two types of brown sugar.
                  sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                  nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

i use dark brown sugar in my pork rubs, and i make it with full 2-lb bags at a time. after it's mixed well, i can sit there and watch it "flow"... kinda creepy, but it does the trick. I will also let the lid stay "cracked" a bit for a couple days, mix it, let it sit, mix it , etc until it dries out a bit. between the drying process, the extra plain sugar that i add, as well as the salt, it seems to do okay. i still need to mix it well and break apart the "shell" every time i go to use it from the storage bowl, but it's not really an issue. I never thought about the baking... i wonder how it would turn out if one were to cold smoke a bag of it at about 100-120*F for about an hour... maybe a bit-o-apple or cherry...

Later,
                    Andy
                    Current babies:
                    -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                    -RichTee's Lang :)
                    Former Lineup:
                    -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                    -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                    -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                    -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                    BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

I have Paul Kirk's "Championship BBQ", and in many of his rub recipes, he dries the brown sugar used in said rubs. Helps the clumping. The extra moisture is evaporated, but like stated earlier, the moisture from the meat is drawn out and helps the rub make a good glaze.
                      sigpic

Comment

Never had a problem - but then I always grind my spice mixs up very fine. so the sugar is extremely evenly distributed and doesn't seem to have any effect.

I guess if you don't grnd your spice mixes down fine - drying the sugar might be a good idea.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Time2Eat View Post
                          Interesting. That is one of the reasons I like to use turbinado sugar in my rubs. I saw a show recently where a guy made his own brown sugar by adding molasses to white sugar.
                          since we are not in the land of academia i can use a wiki link as a reference here? i think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

it states there that mot only can you make you own that way but some manufactures do it that way for better quality control

sigpic

Comment

I tried this before. It's OK and good in a pinch if your out. It would probably help to do the above to it as it becomes one pretty fast.

Originally posted by Time2Eat View Post

Comment

Re:

For what it's worth, I've noticed the brown sugar I buy at ALDI's grocery store seems to be drier by it's nature than any other sources.

You might try a bag from there an see what you think.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Working...
                              X