What's your go-to hot weather meal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
    I'm with Ken on the chicken salad. I love that stuff. A good, cold pasta salad is always refreshing. I also love watermelon, basil and fresh mozzarella. You can't beat a good sub with lots of cold cuts and fresh tomatoes. Mmm....

It's hot and humid here in Georgia. The sad thing is we haven't had any rain to speak of in weeks. The farmers are hurting something aweful. You can expect cotton prices to soar as many of them can't even get a stand and may resort to growing soybeans. I guess I better get out there and do a raindance.
    Don't forget the pix...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Cheryl, is the watermelon, basil and mozzarella a salad?.... Sounds good, can you expand on it a bit please.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        Cheryl, is the watermelon, basil and mozzarella a salad?.... Sounds good, can you expand on it a bit please.
        Actually, I do them on wooden skewers, makes for a nice presentation. I also use balsamic vinengar to drizzle over them. Very yummmmmmmm. Sometimes I add strawberries and prosciutto if I have it. Homemade poppy seed dressing works well when I use the prosciutto too.

Comment

I only do a few changes to the menu during the hot weather. I avoid fried foods, & things that require the oven.

Otherwise grilled, and smoked foods are ok. As are some lighter ethnic items(thai, vietnamese, etc.) that are popping with heat and sweet.
          Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

I like a good grilled chicken salad: http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14531

Originally posted by aczeller View Post
            Beer... just beer. lol

Originally posted by Squirrel View Post
            Actually, I do them on wooden skewers, makes for a nice presentation. I also use balsamic vinengar to drizzle over them. Very yummmmmmmm. Sometimes I add strawberries and prosciutto if I have it. Homemade poppy seed dressing works well when I use the prosciutto too.
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Besides me vodka and mellon, I do a lot of grilling, usually served with a fresh salad, or fresh sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzerella, and basil, drizzled with balsamic vinegar.

Of course, corn on the cob isn't out of the question. What I like to do is peel the husks back and remove the silk. Then sprinkle with some Mad Hunky, add a pad of butter, close the husks and wrap in foil, sealing it except for one end. In that end, pour a bit of beer, then seal that end, and place on the grill. Let it cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning the husks a few times during the cook.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Grilled Chicken Caeser Salad(and real anchovy paste) with crusty buttered rolls.

Fruit Salad and Crangrape Juice for a drink.

Comment

Originally posted by GOT14U View Post
                  First that looks great Dave, and Ken thanks for the recipe. As for mine I would say it is a new one for me that I got from a cook book just last month. It's a hungarian cucumber salad with vinegar and sour cream in it. Man is it refreshing.
                  my grandma always made that... still does. i never liked anything with creme in it, so i never had it, but the people in my family that did loved it.
                  Current babies:
                  -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                  -RichTee's Lang :)
                  Former Lineup:
                  -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                  -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                  -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                  -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                  BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                    Mine is lettuce wraps... Cold, Crisp, easy to make... You can use almost any leftover smoked meat.. Pulled pork, brisky, smoked fish.. And my favorite.. Smoked Chicken..

Here's my recipe for the chicken salad.. All you need to add is some fresh crisp romaine lettuce..

2 C's chopped smoked chicken
                    1/4 C chopped celery
                    1/4 C chopped green onions (stalk and all)
                    1/4 C chopped bell pepper
                    1 small can of black olives chopped
                    1 to 2 TBS dill pickle relish (this is to taste, add more if you like)
                    2 hard boiled eggs
                    1 fresh or pickled jalapeno fine chopped
                    1/3 to 1/2 cup of Mayo (Not Miracle Whip) as needed
                    Few squirts of mustard (To your taste)
                    Salt & CBP to your taste

Mix all ingredients except the chicken in a bowl.. Adjust to your taste.. Then fold in chicken when you are happy with the flavors..

Cover and let set in the frig for a few hours for the flavors to meld..

Everything chopped and ready to mix..

Mixed everything but the eggs and S&P...

Fold in the Mayo, Eggs, and a bit of Mustard we are ready for the frig..

that looks good.
                    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Stay inside with a/c kicking! Any kind of cold sammies, beverage of choice, jeremiah weed sweet tea vodka with water and a slice of lemon...

I also made a watermelon sherbert two weekends ago, it is sooo refreshing, I'll be going that one again and probably trying a cantelope one later this summer! The heat index here today is 103*!!!
                      Mustang electric smoker
                      King Kooker vertical gasser
                      Charbroil silver smoker
                      Earnhardt Jr smoker
                      Brinkman smoke n' grill
                      a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

My stomach tends to shut down when it gets hot out. I don't eat much in the summer time.

I do still like to drink, either an ice cold Oberon of sweet tea vodka and lemonade.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt View Post
                          My stomach tends to shut down when it gets hot out. I don't eat much in the summer time.

I do still like to drink, either an ice cold Oberon of sweet tea vodka and lemonade.
                          ooooooo... Oberon and a slice-o-orange. i need to get me a case when i am up there next time. a buddy and i went drinking one night when i was back in Grand Rapids... i just said i'd have what he was having and they brought me one of them... hot DAMN it was one of the best beers i ever had, by far.

Later,
                          Andy
                          Current babies:
                          -Daughter's 10"x24" RF smoker
                          -RichTee's Lang :)
                          Former Lineup:
                          -Charbroil Santa Fe grill
                          -1954'ish Philco fridge smoker
                          -1950's GE electric fridge smoker in progress (Went to WuTang and will probably never be completed. lol)
                          -enough beer to drown any problem/ailment you may encounter

"if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"
                          BTW, U of M sucks, Go Big Red! I have bragging rights to 2018!

Comment

Got a quart mason jar in the freezer filled with dried mango slices soaking up some dark Costa Rican Rum. It's just waitin.
                            A great trick from my neighbor back in New Orleans.

Then firing up the boiling pot under the shade tree. With some spicy boiled shrimp, corn and potatoes. Good hot weather eatin!
                            Last edited by Hippy; 06-09-2011, 01:16 PM.
                            "Because without beer, things do not seem to go as well"

Comment

I love Watermelon salsa...No cooking. I postedx the recipe in the side dish section.

Comment

Natty's & Shrimp!
                                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                                X