To buy a smoker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To buy a smoker...

Hey all, im not exactly sure if this is the thread to post for this but maybe i can get some advice.. Im looking to buy a smoker but i dont have to much money to spend i saw 2 online for pretty cheap and wondering if i can get an opinion. Or if there are ones I haven't seen id love to know Thx!

http://www.lowes.com/pd_332738-42600...d|1&facetInfo= <-- This one seems nice.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Gr...atalogId=10053 <-- But this one is also nice :x Help!

In my opinion... If 100 bones is your limit, look at building a UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker).. You can read how they are built in the UDS Forum, scroll about 1/2 down or so..

They are a most efficient unit.. And boy they can cook..
    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Weber Silver Kettle, 22.5" goes for about $90 at Home Depot. Gives you a grill and a smoker. And will last damn near forever.
      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

Thx!! ill go take a look.

Comment

Or check Craigslist..... As noted a 22.5" kettle is quite the weapon to have ...... In my area, they can be found almost daily on CL for anywhere from free to say $75 for a new one in box.... I cook on one probably 2-3 times a week.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by IrishChef View Post
            Weber Silver Kettle, 22.5" goes for about $90 at Home Depot. Gives you a grill and a smoker. And will last damn near forever.
            ^^^This One^^^

Plus you can get add-ons as you want like rotiserie, charcoal baskets, all kinds of stuff.

Comment

Or..... you could go this route

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/sho...threadid=15479
              sigpic

Comment

I vote for building a drum smoker. If you can find a Weber lid in the scrap yard or set out to the curb you can build one that will cook twice what the Weber grill will plus give you 12-16 hour smokes mostly unattended.
                UDSs are super easy to build and even easier to use.

Comment

seriously for $50 I'd be down to lowes so fast it's scary.

That'sa great looking unit, some sensible and experienced reveiwers (unlike the home depot reviews: 'the idea is to dry out the meat and kill the bugs not cook the meat' who let that man near a smoker lol)

Get the lowes one and while you're playing with that think about building one - if you need to.
                  If there was anywhere selling anything like that over here I'd definitely have one.

But I would add an of adjustable vent in the lid - that way all you need to do is add an amaze-n smoker or make your own smoke-vark cold smoke generator and it's a decent sized cold smoker as well. Plus I'd not be happy without a top vent on any kind of smoke, smoke that stays in the smoker and condenses out can give that creosote taste to your food.

But for $50 and a couple minor mods, that does look like a great little unit. Can't see how you can go wrong.
                  Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                  Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

This is really a tough question.... I am pro electric because of the ease of use, but hear the drum smokers are awesome & have a friend that also tells me so, then there is the case for propane, the charcoal guys, stick burners, BGE's, Kamados, Kettles, etc........ IMO, choose the one that best fits your lifestyle & learn how to make the best food off it that you can. Once you have "mastered" that method, you might decide you want to try your hand at something different......Some questions you might want to ask yourself:

1. Do you have the time & patience to tend a charcoal or wood burning smoker?

2. Are you looking for ease of use when starting out?

3. Do you want to smoke cured sausages/snack sticks, etc. in it? which typically require a higher degree of heat control from say around 100* up to about 225* & some even go higher

4. Size matters & how many you will be cooking for. If just a small family, then you don't need much for size, but if you are thinking parties or gatherings with more people, you might wanna think bigger.

5. Do you want your smoker to be portable?

6. What kind of design is visually appealing? Not that that is a huge factor, but for some it is.

7. Some smokers have limits on their heat settings, which in turn may limit the quality of your finished product. ie: many folks like to cook/smoke poultry at higher temps, to crisp the skin, etc...... I have an electric smoker that I love for lots of things (Butts, briskets, cured sausage) it has its place because of the heat control dial setting from 100* and up, but it has a temp dial limit of 250* and I personally don't like chicken cooked at that temp, as the skin tends to be rubbery.

Just some thoughts I had in a 10 minute period..... Anyone else please add to these if they come to mind....
                    sigpic

Comment

When in doubt!...ECB! Still use mine when just me & Louie! Got it jacked up to grill on...
                      Sunset Eagle Aviation
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Thank You all very much for the advice and different kind of smokers, I have to get some $$ up bills have been killing me, so many to choose from i have to think. But P.S. all of you on this site are fantastic and have some great knowledge thx again!

Comment

my first smoker ecb craigslist
                          the second one gosm charcoal craigslist
                          the third one ecb electric, yes sir craigslist too
                          now the forth one chargriller snp, yeppers another craiglist find
                          and last but not least my new braunfels bandera you got it craigslist

the ecb's 15 to 25, gosm and snp 75 to 80, and the bandera was 90 or 100. i know someone has aready mentioned craigslist, all i can say is one mans trash is another mans treasure
                          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

i think fishawns questions would get u the right answer.

regardless of ur choice, a weber kettle will always be a good thing to own

Comment

Re:

There is this thread in "Where To Buy It"

Walmart Brinkmann on sale for Fathers Day this week $38

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15420
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc1URQgQWNo

Comment

Working...
                              X