OH MIGHTY M-HUNKY I NEED HELP! or anyone else

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH MIGHTY M-HUNKY I NEED HELP! or anyone else

In all fairness I figured I would put this in a public forum to...
    1. Show how big of an idiot I am.
    2. By posting here maybe the answers I receive will help others.

So I have 1 lb of this wonderful Mad Hunky brine. I read the instructions and they are quite clear 1lb/1 gallon cold water for 50 lbs meat. 8oz/.5 gallon water for 25lbs meat.

Here is my trouble I have a 5 lb chicken so by my math that would be 1.6oz brine/12.8oz water 1 tenth of the package of brine and 1/10th the water. Is this correct? Because when i tested the amount of water it didn't cover the bird. Basically how much brine do I use and how much water for a 5lb bird.
    Last edited by gmotoman; 06-15-2011, 11:26 PM.

So, it is "BRINE" and not "RUB" correct?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      So, it is "BRINE" and not "RUB" correct?
      good question doctor squish

Comment

Yes it is a 1lb package of Mad Hunky Poultry Brine. I will edit original post.

Comment

Ok, I hate to answer for Rich & never would, but I think I talked with him about this when I tested it...... Since it is not a "CURE" and "CURE" rules do not apply, I think you are just fine to add the calculated amount of "brine" and add the appropriate amount of water to cover, submerge, etc. the bird..... In my case, I used a gallon Zip-Lock bag with brine solution and bird, sealed it shut and put it in a large plastic container in the fridge in case it leaked..... That is what I would suggest, but others may be along soon to suggest other methods or ideas.
          sigpic

Comment

Generally I rub my 1lb of meat for about 20 minutes...never technically "brined" while doing it but hot water...hehe

I'll just stop.
            There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

I am having the instructions clarified on the bag soon..I apologize. Ignore them. Well, not completely... "Up to 50 pounds meat" would be a better way to say it.

Use as much brine as you need to just completely cover the meat. Ignore the meat weight, as that is the MAXIMUM amount of meat that can be brined with the stuff.

113 g per quart... or a q. pound- and with the ziplock burp method you can prolly do 5+ pounds of breasts. The quart will prolly cover 1 bird. If not, add a pint...and 56 g more brine powder. If you need a half-cup more liquid, just add some water- youi are not gonna dilute the concentration much.

Brine times for a full bird are 8 hours to perhaps 12.
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

113 g per quart
                lol
                okay so given that an english gallon is much larger than a us gallon.
                What's that in ml ?

might be a good idea to use 0z/to pints/fl0z and gms/ml.
                Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                  lol
                  okay so given that an english gallon is much larger than a us gallon.
                  What's that in ml ?

might be a good idea to use 0z/to pints/fl0z and gms/ml.
                  You Limeys are on yer own...

I have threatened to go all metric, but if I whip out mL and L's I'm afraid I'll get tarred and feathered
                  In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                  Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                  Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

I have threatened to go all metric, but if I whip out mL and L's I'm afraid I'll get tarred and feathered
                    We did win that one a couple hundred years ago
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fire it up View Post
                      Generally I rub my 1lb of meat for about 20 minutes...never technically "brined" while doing it but hot water...hehe

I'll just stop.

GOSM
                      K.C.B.S Member # 60786
                      Digital Thermometers
                      Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
                      140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

One more ? The first time i used it I just added it to cold water. Should I dissolve it in hot water instead? I ask because though the bird was moist it was not as flavorful as i thought it would be....

Comment

Originally posted by gmotoman View Post
                          One more ? The first time i used it I just added it to cold water. Should I dissolve it in hot water instead? I ask because though the bird was moist it was not as flavorful as i thought it would be....
                          Anytime I make a brine or injection that contains more than just salt and sugar I heat it up.
                          Gives the spices time to break down, activate and infuse with the liquid.

Many herb and pepper spices won't release their full flavor until they have been heated.

Anyone try toasting coriander seed before using? Amazing the citrus scent and flavor it brings out...
                          There is a cure...http://phoenixtears.ca/

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

Anybody got a way of heating up this tar? Someone get those feather pillows and rip them open just in case...

Comment

Originally posted by Crewdawg52 View Post
                              We did win that one a couple hundred years ago
                              lol and then just out of spite changed all the measurement amounts, but kept the same names

I wasn't actually suggesting you adopt metric rich (I grew up with it and I adopted imperial) - just that you kept weights and volumes in the same measurement sytem :-)
                              I realise I never do - but then I'm not selling stuff to people - yet.

Going to try the brine on some little shrimp for tomorrows bbq - 50 count, half the size I normally use but I've got a full bag and I'm not going all the way to costco today for a bag of shrimp (well okay several bags, but even so lol) when I can hitch a lift next week and someone else pays for petrol :-)

Thinking with them being so small the brine might keep them that bit more succulent.
                              Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                              Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Working...
                              X