Water vs. Sand vs. Ceramic ?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water vs. Sand vs. Ceramic ?!?!?!

Day three of joining and the third day of posting a question. Thanks for the feedback thus far.

Water bowl in my smoker - What should I put in it? I read a manufacturer site that said it was to maintain moisture, but I have read a few other sites that say that is a load of So Happy Its Thursday. It appears the true purpose is to maintain smoker temp, or so I was made to believe via the all powerful Google.

So my question -

What's in your water bowl, and why? I like the idea of sand or ceramic, and NOT having to deal with the water cleanup and replacement.
    JT
    Born in VA - Living in WI
    On the deck:
    34" Smoke Hollow
    30" Great Outdoors
    Brinkman 4 burner grill
    In the house:
    Wife and 3 kids
    In the doghouse:
    Today, the dog.

I have an electric Brinkman and got tired of dealing with the water pan. I use lava rock in it to help recover temps and it has worked pretty good for me.
    Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
    Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
    1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
    Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
    Weber Smokey Joe
    Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
    Pink Thermapen
    Purple Thermapen

Comment

Welcome aboard

Now to the question. I started with an R2D2 smoker. It used a water pan but didn't seal real well. In warm weather, it wasn't an issue. In cold weather, it was. So, I used sand in the water pan for the Thanksgiving Day turkey. It works great for getting to higher temps in sold weather.

Since then, I mostly use a BGE which has no water or pan but a piece of ceramic called a plate setter.

So, what does all of this mean? Regardless of it being a water pan with water, with sand, or a plate setter, they all have one thing in common. They are the barrier that provides Indirect heat.

My personal opinion, I don't buy into the claim that a water in a pan provides humidity that makes or breaks a smoke. I know it does provide some humidity but I don't think it has really anything to do with the outcome of a smoke. I think it's in the prep and the kind of meat you're working with. Smoke a butt and smoke a chicken breast and it's a water pan won't save or make either better. It's all in the prep, time and temp.

P.S. if you use sand in the water pan, cover it with some HD foil and it will last a lot longer as all the drippings won't get in the sand and cause issues.
      Last edited by Abelman; 06-23-2011, 03:30 PM.
      Pete
      Large BGE
      Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

I'm with Ableman on this question. It seems that a lot of folks with electric smokers use sand or lava rocks due to the high recovery time when you open the door.

If I'm concerned about a specific cut of meat staying moist, I have options..brine it, inject it, or mop it and foil it.

I use a propane unit (GOSM big block) and like to keep that dish filled with rocks...just seems to work better for me.
        sigpic

Smoked-Meat certified Sausagehead

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1443745685

Comment

i use sand in both my gosm verticle and my charcoal ecb. I use water in my electric ecb.

best advice that i can give, experiment to see what works best in your smoker...

i do foil the pans and replace the sand about every three month's.

also cleaning the leftovers from the water pan of verticles is just a freaking nasty job

good luck
          Last edited by crusty ol salt; 06-23-2011, 03:44 PM.
          Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
            If I'm concerned about a specific cut of meat staying moist, I have options..brine it, inject it, or mop it and foil it.
            Exactly...and you could always add a small water pan on the lower rack if you are concerned about moisture with a particular cut of meat.
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

just an additional note

on the ecb's because they really have no draft control or air flow control the water pan does help regulate the temperature. heat energy that is used to boil water and convert it into steam is no longer adsorbed by the sand after a certain point.

again experiment and good luck
              Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Depends what I am cooking,

low and slow = water in the water pan

smoke roasting = empty waterpan

Water or an empty pan, pretty easy to clean up.

As others have stated, at least on the WSM, the water in the pan is mostly a heat sink. Any moisture added to the cooking environment from the boiling water is a biproduct of design.

Best way to keep any moisture in your smoker..? keep it closed and let it do its job. "if your lookin' you aint cookin".
                Just because you welded some shit together doesnt make it a WSM.

Twitter: @GrubSeeker

Comment

I use my water pan for collecting rain water. I haven't used any thing I run a GOSM Big Block. Propane fired.
                  If You Can Not Stand Behind Our Troops,
                  Please Feel Free To Stand In Front Of Them

Comment

I use water in my pans ,cleaning up is no big deal and I like the control you have.
                    2-22.5'' weber
                    1-18'' weber
                    1 smokey joe
                    22.5'' wsm
                    24'' smoke vault
                    1-outhouse
                    Certified,Smoked Meat Sausage Head
                    Smoked meathead #135

Comment

Dont use either, and never will. My thoughts are .......... if ya use water, you are wasting heat to heat the water, to make steam. You dont need water to keep meat moist if you know how to cook, and use your smoker properly.

Ask yourself this, "Self, how many stickburners, drums, Eggs, FE's, Old Hickory's, Backwoods, Stumps, Treager's, etc use water"? . I would bet not many, if any!

Not saying you shouldnt use it if you want to. Just saying its not needed.
                      sigpic

Comment

Fill it with concrete and use it in the winter. Covered in foil, of course.

In the warm weather use a spare grill covered in foil for the ribs, butts, etc. Leave it out for yardbird, abt's ...the "smogrill" stuff...
                        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Crewdawg52 View Post
                          Dont use either, and never will. My thoughts are .......... if ya use water, you are wasting heat to heat the water, to make steam. You dont need water to keep meat moist if you know how to cook, and use your smoker properly.

Ask yourself this, "Self, how many stickburners, drums, Eggs, FE's, Old Hickory's, Backwoods, Stumps, Treager's, etc use water"? . I would bet not many, if any!

Not saying you shouldnt use it if you want to. Just saying its not needed.

yep

If I want moisture then I cook the met in an open pan with the liquid also in the pan. creates a micro climate around the meat.

The way I read it the water pan is there to regulate temps. When the smoker hits boiling point the water evaporates and cools things down.
                          Personally I think you're better off regulating oxygen flow and charcoal amounts than using a water based regulator.
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

i use water in my brinkman verticals. it's easy & cheap to replace and i can just dump the old grease over the pasture fence or in the dog's bowl.
                            brink vertical charcoal(the carp)
                            18" old smokey charcoal grill/smoker
                            cast iron Hibachi
                            22" Kettle w/ "Smoke-EZ" styled riser extension
                            & rotisserator
                            12x7 wells cargo vending trailer(mods in progress)
                            stuffer,slicer & more carp than i can fit in it...
                            Marshall amps & various awesome guitars,drums,P.A.,etc.recording studio.....

Blues-N-Cues Concessions & Catering
                            http://blues-n-cuesbbq.com/
                            my music recordings-
                            http://www.reverbnation.com/rlcltd

Comment

I use water in my gasser it does help control temp,put it is just another thing you have to watch and watching means lookin not cookin..
                              sigpicbrinkman pitmaster deluxe
                              members mark upright propane smoker
                              kingsford bbq
                              23"weber kettle

Comment

Working...
                              X