Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food safety folks...Now is your chance to give me some advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food safety folks...Now is your chance to give me some advice...

Thanks in advance for the info...I may have already answered my own question but lookin for the right answer instead...

The plan is to smoke a 4+ lb pork loin....Want to remove it at a minimum temp so as to slice some to be breaded and panfried...The rest I want done enough to run through the slicer for sandwich meat...

The question is what is the mimimum temp that I can slice the sammich stuff and will that be too done for the breaded and fried chops........

Im thinkin that I might smoke till around 130 or so and remove to slice the chops and return the rest to finish the cook to doneness...160 I think

Any advice?
    Craig
    sigpic

You only need to go to 145 with the loin...which should suit both purposes well. Cut your slices and do 'em hot and FAST!
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Sounds right to me.
      Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
      My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
      @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Ya see...I always try to complicate things...Simple is better...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
          Thanks in advance for the info...I may have already answered my own question but lookin for the right answer instead...

The plan is to smoke a 4+ lb pork loin....Want to remove it at a minimum temp so as to slice some to be breaded and panfried...The rest I want done enough to run through the slicer for sandwich meat...

The question is what is the mimimum temp that I can slice the sammich stuff and will that be too done for the breaded and fried chops........

Im thinkin that I might smoke till around 130 or so and remove to slice the chops and return the rest to finish the cook to doneness...160 I think

Any advice?
          I think you are right on with stopping at 130 for your fryable portion but you don't have to go all the way to 160 for slice and eat. I would instead shoot for 145 or 150. It'll be done, and you wont jeopardize drying it out any.

Dave

Comment

I am doing the same thing today, Craig. Going to throw it on the smoker about 5 or 6 this afternoon and removing when it reaches between 140-145. I definitely don't want it go over 145. It's going to make some really good sandwiches at the farm tomorrow.
            Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
            Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
            1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
            Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
            Weber Smokey Joe
            Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
            Pink Thermapen
            Purple Thermapen

Comment

Ok then 145 it is...I may still remove my chops a bit sooner so they dont get dry when in the pan...

Thanks to all...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

Ok then 145 it is...I may still remove my chops a bit sooner so they dont get dry when in the pan...

Thanks to all...
                Not a bad plan... but most key is hot fat in pan, hit 'em hard and brown fast... keeps juicy insides.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
                  ... but most key is hot fat in pan, hit 'em hard and brown fast... keeps juicy insides.
                  Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                  Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                  1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                  Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                  Weber Smokey Joe
                  Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                  Pink Thermapen
                  Purple Thermapen

Comment

all sound advice but i would just cut my chops of the loin first so when they get the smoke ya want ya just grab them and ya won't have to disturb the loin.......just easier for me.
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Originally posted by chefrob View Post
                      all sound advice but i would just cut my chops of the loin first so when they get the smoke ya want ya just grab them and ya won't have to disturb the loin.......just easier for me.
                      Now that makes more sense than the other way
                      Plus they'll get more smoke sliced and cook quicker :-)
                      Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                      Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

If you brine that loin, you'll have some extra insurance against drying it out. I've taken a brined loin to 160, let it rest for an hour, and it was oozing juice when cut.

Comment

I have brined pork and with great results...
                          This one got injected and marinated...
                          Will be for a supper and lunches this week...
                          Craig
                          sigpic

Comment

Sounds great!

Comment

Working...
                            X