cleaning the smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning the smokers

I notice this question comes up frequently on threads/post. and this method i guess could be applied to almost any smoker / grill. I use a garden hose on mine. but smaller grills I own I use a plastic spray bottle, i use spray pam for hard to reach areas. and melt crisco in a pan and paint it on with a hog hair brush for areas that be easy to get to. I guess there should be a forum for cleaning. many have great ideas some bad ones also like spraying with oven cleaner. new and 1st time. I clean well with soap and water steel wool scrub pads etc. then I do the following. never to use soap are cleaning agents again. and I never allow it to get to a state where i would need steam cleaners or sand blasters. hope this helps some.

Tips and Care Instructions
    Cleaning, Seasoning and Firing Up Smoker Cooker Instructions

First Time Seasoning: Season your smoker cooker with this oil process. Spray cooking area with vegetable oil or PAM (walls, doors, grates, - everything inside the smoker cooker). Fire-up your smoker cooker (step 2 and 3) - pre cook in it by letting the oil sizzle and sear and pre grill for about 35 to 45 minutes or longer. Follow with spray misting water as described in step 4.
    Fire-Up with Kindling or Propane: Light fire with kindling, (charcoal, fat lighter, Wesson oil soaked paper towel, etc.) or a propane brush burner. Open ALL doors, vents and dampers on the smoker cooker; fire box door, smoker cooker door, flue and smoke stack. If possible bring the nose of the smoker cooker up. Use 4-5 pieces of split, dried hardwood - approximately the diameter of a soda can. Get a large fire going and wait until black smoke bellows out; then close the smoker cooker door to a "propped open" position (i.e. open latch position). When flames come out of the fire box, close fire box door to "propped open" position (i.e. over closed latch).
    Steam Cleaning Process: When temperature gauge reaches about 300 degrees Fahrenheit, open smoker cooker door and spray/mist water inside on all surfaces with water hose. (This is the steaming process). Then, let fire re-heat to 300 degrees Fahrenheit again and repeat spray/mist process. Steam cleaning inside entire cooking area. Then, add a large piece or two of split wood, close chimney damper to 45 degrees and fire box vents to almost closed, and let cooker "smoke cure" which creates a hardwood smoke glaze. Clean your grill after each cooking.
    Clean Before Cooking: If you did not clean your smoker cooker after the last cooking, do so now with the Steam Cleaning Process (step #3). If you already cleaned your smoker cooker we recommend a quick misting to clean off any dust. After the grill is hot, spray a little water inside to clean off any dust.
    When to Season, Fire, & Steam: The Seasoning Process is only done initially. Follow the Firing Mode (i.e. doors open, etc.) instructions every time you fire up your smoker cooker. The Steam Cleaning Process should be done either before or after each barbeque.
    Remember: The key to consistently smoker cooking delicious food - comes from a clean grill. Heat is what does the cooking; the smoke does the flavoring.
    For a mobile guide on smoker cooking time and temperatures and stick burner wood charts check out our FREE downloadable Lang BBQ Cooking App.
    sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
    nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Thats good info...
    I dont get that serious about it though...
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

My stick burner needs a good washing and burn out. Fortunately I can get her over 600F to kill off any germs as needed. Takes a little oil to get the guts back into condition but she turns out fine food. Actually, I need to order another rick of pecan. Glad I read the thread. Time to get to to work.
      sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

I’ll clean/brush the grates on the WSM’s and heat ‘em up good before cooking. The Lang... I’ll brush the grates and clean the box. Every third cook or so...the heat it up and steam method..followed by oil the grates while still hot.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
          I’ll clean/brush the grates on the WSM’s and heat ‘em up good before cooking. The Lang... I’ll brush the grates and clean the box. Every third cook or so...the heat it up and steam method..followed by oil the grates while still hot.
          I have found that not cleaning the grill grates gives you nice grill marks on your next cook...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Working...
          X