Stroopwafels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stroopwafels

I have a waffle cone maker so I can make the world's best ice cream cones. They are amazing and really improve the unimprovable (is that a word?) especially when dipped in chocolate and sprinkles.

Any who, I found another use for my waffle cone maker. It can make Stroopwafels. Stroopwafels are a world famous Dutch cookie for good reason. I love these things. Especially when I'm in weight gaining mode .

There are dedicated stroopwafel makers on the market but I'm not going there. Mine worked just fine.

Make a stiff dough out of lots of butter and sugar

Make the filling. I forgot to take a pic

Heat up the waffle cone maker and start pumping the cookies out. Cut them into rounds with a pastry cutter and slice them in half while they are still hot.
    Add filling, close 'em up, and wait for them to harden.

The traditiona way to serve stroopwafels is over a hor beverage. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate are all good but I'm a coffee guy.
    The hot coffee steams the cookie and rewarms the filling into a gooey sweet caramel.
    In return, the cookie keeps the coffee hot. Its a match made in heaven.
    sigpic
    Fully Accessorized Primo XL Oval,
    -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
    -AMNPS
    -And various other do-dads, gimmicks,
    gizmos and hornswaggles

Those can’t be bad.. Never seen that before, but I wish I had. Hmmm think I got a Mickey Mouse waffle press from the kid’s days here somewhere..
    In God I trust- All others pay cash...
    Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
    Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

How neat is that!! Never heard of them, butt sure would like to try them!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

The traditiona way to serve stroopwafels is over a hor beverage. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate are all good but I'm a coffee guy.
        The hot coffee steams the cookie and rewarms the filling into a gooey sweet caramel.
        In return, the cookie keeps the coffee hot. Its a match made in heaven.
        Did not know that - eaten hundreds of these things.

lidl and aldi sell them over here - should sell them in the states too.
        Used to eat them in holland as well.

Never knew about the coffee thing - that I will try
        Not unusual for me to have one with my morning coffee - never tried it warm - Now I will :-)

and serious for making your own
        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Stroopwafels are sold here but they are difficult to find. I only know of one store that carries them and that is hit or miss. I always pick up a pack or two whenever I see them.
          sigpic
          -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
          -AMNPS
          gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

what do you use for the filling? I've yet to find anything stateside that comes close to true dutch stroop. The closest I've found is Lyle's golden syrup from the UK which is easier to find though still not easy, but that wouldn't set up stiff enough not to run out of the middle I think.
            Last edited by PitRow; 09-12-2016, 10:27 AM.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Cool !!

Great Job, Graco!!

Those are really big around here.
              Here's some from "Lancaster" (The home of PA Dutch & Amish)
              http://www.stroopies.com

Bear
              Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
              Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
                what do you use for the filling? I've yet to find anything stateside that comes close to true dutch stroop. The closest I've found is Lyle's golden syrup from the UK which is easier to find though still not easy, but that wouldn't set up stiff enough not to run out of the middle I think.
                Treacle and/or Golden Syrup were my first choices but the only way I was going to come up with one or both of those was online. I considered a classic caramel but decided to use a combination of mild molasses, corn syrup, butter, and brown sugar. It isn't the classic stroop but ain't bad.

Notes:
                -These are a PITA to make but when homemade you wind up with a bag of scraps which are pretty awesome in their own right.
                -The cone maker did an OK job but I should have used a hotter setting. A dedicated stoopwafel maker would be a much better tool but I wasn't about to invest in one of those until I had some idea about what I was doing. Like I said... PITA
                sigpic
                -BBQ GURU DigiQ DX2,
                -AMNPS
                gizmos and hornswaggles

Comment

great job on them! I've had them here and I used my coffee cup to heat the innards up.
                  Mustang electric smoker
                  King Kooker vertical gasser
                  Charbroil silver smoker
                  Earnhardt Jr smoker
                  Brinkman smoke n' grill
                  a-maze-n cold smoker rack

USMC vet 87 - 91

Comment

never heard of them.........they look outstanding!
                    sigpic
                    it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Gotta like that! Nice!
                      sigpic

Comment

the filling is a basic caramel.
                        Golden syrup and butter and a splash of vanilla extract, cooked to softball would do the job.
                        Or you could use honey and butter for a honey flavoured caramel.

One thing these things aren't is slimming :-)
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Those look great. My wife is from Rotterdam so I get these at our local Walmart from time to time for her.

Comment

Working...
                          X