Practice cook, Eagle Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice cook, Eagle Michigan

I thought I would post this here early so if anyone wanted to compete they could get there practice in.

This event is a nonsactioned event that is run like a KCBS comp.It is not as expensive of an entry, but the payout is smaller too. It is alot of fun , and a great way to shake off the winter cob webs and get prepaired for the comp season in the great lakes region.

It is April 24th, in the little town of Eagle, Michigan. Its about halfway between Grand Rapids and Lansing. Last year was my first time going there and it was also my first time competing in any type of cooking event. First time also meeting Richtee, his brother Mark, and flying Illini. Rich, Mark and myself were the original team, and Glen stopped by on turn in day(sat) to give us a hand. It was a good thing he did, we needed it. We were deffinately the rookies of the field by a long shot. Everyone elses team had been to comps before.We didn't have a clue about presentation or the rules, but with help from Tonto, BBQ Bubba, crewdog, and Mike from GLBBQA. We managed to turn in 3 of the 4 meats and actually placed 2nd in ribs.

Every team there made us feel at home and offered help in many ways.The weather was the biggest issue as we started out on friday with warm 70-75 degrees and even 65 degrees into the night,but about 2 am a strong cold front came through and blew some stuff around, temps dropped, and the winds never let up until saturday aftrnoon about time to leave.

When I get some of the important info, I'll post it here, or Bubba/Tonto could. They will know bout it before me.
    This year, Rich, Mark, myself, and our new team mate smokin Lee will be competing in this event again. We feel alot better about understanding the rules and how to manage time and present our food.Hopefully we can have as much fun or more than we had last year. I know we did show the teams that we were good at..........partying!

Here are a few pics from last years event, just to get my team fired up!

Our humble camp.Richtee and his buddy Jim.!

Meat has been inspected and prepared, in the cooler waiting for nightime. I think Rich is lookin for his lucky rabbits foot!

a few pics of other teams.

my buddy Ford Allison in his rig, pretty much a 1 man show.

my pal Crewdog and Dr. Chucky checkin for rogaine.

Can't remeber their names, husband /wife team, good folks.

the smokers all ready to rock, ECB, SnP, and the Lang, and Rich.

If anyone in the mid Michigan area wants to attend this event, you'll have a blast.I hope we get a good batch of teams again this year! I will definately take a few more pics!
    Last edited by Capt Dan; 02-12-2009, 10:10 PM.
    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

hows come you guys NEVER pratice here in IOWA !

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

also tell Rich to step out from behind that sign next time........so we can see him in the pics.......BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

He's got shyness issues ya know!
        Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Congrats guys on the new team!

Any plans of any KCBS cooks this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
            Congrats guys on the new team!

Any plans of any KCBS cooks this year?
            Unfortunately this team is just for that event. Myself, I would love to build a team and compete in all of them, but the budget at capt Dan's ranch won't allow it.I hope to make the silver lake comp(with a team) and if you get another rib cookoff going in Flushing, I will probably do that. I have a few grad parties booked, and hopefully some other moneymaking gigs, cuz as you well know, aint nobody throwin up any houses around here.

We are just gonna take it one month at a time, and see where it takes us. It's a tough time to be sendin kids to college!

Lookin forward to seeing, you and "the gang" on the 21st.
            Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
              I have a few grad parties booked, and hopefully some other moneymaking gigs, cuz as you well know, aint nobody throwin up any houses around here.

We are just gonna take it one month at a time, and see where it takes us. It's a tough time to be sendin kids to college!
              You ain't just-a whistlin' Dixie, man...
              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Capt Dan, Richtee: Here are a few pics I have posted before. Yea, that weather really changed on Sat AM. Ouch. I enjoyed it and will miss not being around this year.

Yea, I will be 60+ when my youngest (just born) is in college. I cannot even think that far ahead now.

The team with the 2nd for ribs. Weather was finally better then.

The team earlier in the day still bundled

Capt D next to his rig earlier in the day
                Glen
                Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
                KCBS CBJ
                Blue Thermopen
                Profile:
                http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

If I can work it in I'd like to visit this comp to see what they are all about. Couple of questions though. Better to visit Friday night or Saturday morning? Is this place a campground? If so can you camp there if your not competing? If not, is there a campground near by? It may be that I'll be heading up north that weekend and just swing by Friday for a bit.
                  sigpic

GOSM/propane
                  UDS (Cam)/lump
                  22.5 Weber Kettle/lump
                  Weber Genesis/propane
                  Camp Chef Pro 90/ propane

Comment

Last year it was at the fairgrounds. Good location perfect for the event. I would think that camping would be no problem, might have issues with gettin electric depending on how many teams and stuff. Friday afternoon till sat late morning is the best visiting times with folks. after 11 am it starts to get a bit more business like till about 2-2:30. Hope you can come.
                    Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

Lou, I did this last yr and learned a ton. Check with GLBBQA about electric, etc as Dan says. There is plenty of room there, though. I could not make it Fri night but showed up Sat @ 7.30-45am and Dan/Rich were kind enough to let me help some. As you get past 9-10am or so folks are definitely in final prep for turn-in mode starting @ noon.

Originally posted by Capt Dan View Post
                      Last year it was at the fairgrounds. Good location perfect for the event. I would think that camping would be no problem, might have issues with gettin electric depending on how many teams and stuff. Friday afternoon till sat late morning is the best visiting times with folks. after 11 am it starts to get a bit more business like till about 2-2:30. Hope you can come.
                      Glen
                      Large Vertical & 3 UDS (Illini drum by Bubba before he went big-time)
                      KCBS CBJ
                      Blue Thermopen
                      Profile:
                      http://www.coltecconsulting.com

Comment

I am lookin forward to this myself.

Comment

Capt Dan,
                          Is Richtee in charge of the chicken this year?

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
                            Capt Dan,
                            Is Richtee in charge of the chicken this year?
                            maybe chokin it!

I think we are gonna draw straws and see who has to mess with that!

I feel an overwhelming confidence, and can guarantee, our chicken will be 100% better than last year!
                            Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Comment

I have a lot of faith in your chicken this year.
                              FBJ

WSM
                              Med. Spicewine
                              Stumps GF223
                              KCBS/NEBS Member
                              KCBS CBJ

Comment

Working...
                              X