Batayaki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batayaki

So, my wife and I are talking and I ask her, "You know There are a lot of dishes that I used to make that I haven't make in a long time, what do you think of?" She immediately answers, "Batayaki!, remember, Joanne gave us that wok a long time ago, and the recipe was in the recipe book that came with it?". Yeah, I do remember that and as I recall we really liked it, no idea why I stopped making it. So, I look on the interwebs and there are a ton of versions and I find one close to what I remember and took it from there. The interesting ingredient is one that is unusual in Asian cuisine and that is butter. So, this is what I came up with:

3/4 lb. sirloin steak, sliced very thinly
    1 lb. fresh spinach
    2 zucchini cut into coins
    1/2 large onion, diced
    4 tbspn butter
    2 tbspn vegetable oil
    1 lb. button mushrooms

Sauce:

1/2 cup Soy sauce
    juice of 1/2 lemon
    2 tbspn Mirin
    1 tsp. sesame oil
    1 knob of grated fresh ginger
    1 chopped scallion

first make the sauce, then slice the meat. This is easier if you put it in the freezer for about 30 or 40 minutes so it is partially frozen. Pour enough sauce over the meat to coat it generously and let it marinate while you prep the rest of the ingredients. Then, start with the hot oil and the onion, when the onion is beginning to get translucent, add the meat and give it a quick saute, then the mushrooms and zucchini and finally the spinach. Cover and allow the spinach to wilt, and then add the butter and stir just until the butter is melted. Serve over a bed of rice and drizzle with the sauce that is left.

Thanks for lookin. This is really good, and you could add pretty much anything. I'm thinking baby bok choy and bean sprouts next time.
    Last edited by Snarlingiron; 05-30-2017, 10:11 AM.
    A few of my favorite things:
    Good Whiskey
    Good Food
    Bad Girls
    sigpic

NRA Endowment Member
    Certified Glock Armorer

That pretty!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Looks good to me
      Craig
      sigpic

Comment

oh, dang, that looks great!
        Mike
        Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
          oh, dang, that looks great!
          X2!
          sigpic

Comment

Well done sir, bet it was quite flavorful
            sigpic

Some days I think Bravo Zulu, other days it's more like Whiskey Tango Foxtrot...

Comment

Nice balance!

Comment

looks chopstickalicious!
                sigpic
                it's all good my friend..........

Comment

yes sir!...i'm on for that!
                  Sunset Eagle Aviation
                  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
                  X