Tri (the mythical meat) Tip in Florida using the Vortex and other stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tri (the mythical meat) Tip in Florida using the Vortex and other stuff

So I was in the butcher shop a couple weeks ago looking for BIG Pork Chops and asked, by chance do you have any Tri Tips? Well no they don't sell so we don't carry them fresh. Any frozen I ask, well...now that you mention it I have some that were special ordered and the customer only took half of the order, might be four in the bag. GET THEM I'll take them and can I get a discount for taking them all???? Well yea you can have them at cost for taking them off my hands $6.75lb. So I got them home par-defroasted and separated them, vac bagged and refroze them. L20A got one too. That brings us to now, or last Sunday to be exact. I defrosted one and...

The marinade of the day
    4 sprigs Parsley
    4 sprigs Thyme
    2 Shallots
    2 cloves Garlic
    4 oz. Olive Oil
    2 oz. Balsamic Vinegar
    2 oz red wine
    1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
    Coarse Salt
    Pepper

And into the pool we go. Clockwise from the top right. Into the pool, flipped over. After soaking for 8 hours and ready for the grill along for the ride corn on the cob and sliced taters.

And onna de grill de go. I seasoned them with my normal steak rub and Tatonka Dust. You can see the vortex under the steak as it is getting seared. Clockwise progression, I flipped them twice. The vortex is really nice for searing and then slow roasting on the same grill.

Then I mover the meat to the side to slow cook and added the corn and taters. This is just ready to come off the grill, 132°. Bottom pic is just out of foil after resting for 20 minutes.

And we slice...

And plate for dinner!

I tried using an Aaron Sanchez recipe for Corn With Chile-Lime Butter but I had to ad-lib a couple ingredients so it didn't stick to the corn and taters like I wanted it to, but it was real tasty. I was missing the Rocoto Chile Past and the Cotija cheese. I used Queso Fresco and made a substitute for the chile paste.

Ingredients

1 stick unsalted butter, softened
    1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for topping
    1 tablespoon rocoto chile paste (available in jars at Latin markets)
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
    8 ears corn, husks and silk removed
    Crumbled cotija cheese, for topping

Directions

Preheat a grill to medium high. Combine the butter, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, chile paste and cumin in a bowl. Add salt and pepper; mix well.

Grill the corn, turning, until nicely charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with a spoonful of the flavored butter on top. Sprinkle with more cilantro and cotija cheese

Rocoto Chile Paste
    1 recoto chile pepper (I used 1 smoked habanero and 1 ripe jalapeno)
    ½ cup evaporated milk
    Juice of 1 key lime
    1 tsp salt
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Nice score and nice looking meal there Mark!
    Smokem if you got em

Yoder YS640
    Weber EP-310 Gasser Grill
    A-Maz-N-Pellet-Smoker (AMZNPS)
    A-Maz-N-Tube-Smoker (AMZNTS)
    Frogmats
    Maverick ET 732
    Super Fast Purple Thermopen

Deano

"May the thin blue smoke be with you"

sigpic

Comment

Very nice! Louie can get them at the Tyndall AFB commissary...great tasting cut!
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Great looking meal there! love those things!! Great job!
        Brian

Certified Sausage & Pepper Head
        Yoder YS640
        Weber Genesis
        Weber 18.5" Kettle
        Weber Performer
        Misfit # 1899

sigpic

Comment

Looks darn good. You don't happen to have a Costco membership do you? I see that there are two Costco's that aren't too far from you. They usually have Tri Tip if you aren't able to find them anywhere else.
          Propane Smoke Shack
          UDS
          Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rbranstner View Post
            Looks darn good. You don't happen to have a Costco membership do you? I see that there are two Costco's that aren't too far from you. They usually have Tri Tip if you aren't able to find them anywhere else.
            I just saw there is one in Clearwater, didn't know it was there! Have to check it out.
            Mark
            sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?

Comment

Mark, an Excellent job.

Now you are hooked I"d guess
              Pete
              Large BGE
              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                Mark, an Excellent job.

Now you are hooked I"d guess
                I better not be, they are non-existent round here. I only got these cause someone special ordered them and didn't realize how much was in a case!
                I will check Costco but not much hope if Sam's and RD doesn't carry them here. No one knows what they are here.
                Mark
                sigpic

Comment

Perfection!!!!---------------

And What A Plate !!!

Nice Job, Mark!!!

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Mark R View Post
                    I better not be, they are non-existent round here. I only got these cause someone special ordered them and didn't realize how much was in a case!
                    I will check Costco but not much hope if Sam's and RD doesn't carry them here. No one knows what they are here.
                    No one around Fargo carries them either unless you special order them but Costco has them regularly. If you don't mind shelling out a few extra bucks you can usually buy a 6 pack of Tri Tips for around $3.99lb versus their regular price of like $6lb. I keep my eye open for the big 6 pack cryo vac and then individually package them.
                    Propane Smoke Shack
                    UDS
                    Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain
                    sigpic

Comment

Nice plate sir!
                      sigpic

Comment

Good find, pays to ask some times eh... The prep looks good and the finished product on the plate looks most excellent. The meat still looks nice and juicey. I think I need to get a hold of thunderdome and see about one a them vortex cookers or maybe try and make my own.
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Looks perfect, Mark!! Glad you found a few and got to try it!
                          Becky

https://www.facebook.com/jennie.r.smith.77?ref=tn_tnmn

Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Black
                          Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle - Copper
                          1993 Weber 22.5" Master Touch Kettle - Red
                          Weber 18.5" One Touch Silver Kettle - Budweiser
                          Weber Smokey Joe
                          Multiple Dutch Ovens and other Cast Iron
                          Pink Thermapen
                          Purple Thermapen

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                            Nice plate sir!
                            Thanks FIsh

Originally posted by erain View Post
                            Good find, pays to ask some times eh... The prep looks good and the finished product on the plate looks most excellent. The meat still looks nice and juicey. I think I need to get a hold of thunderdome and see about one a them vortex cookers or maybe try and make my own.
                            Thanks "E"! The vortex is cool!

Originally posted by sweet_magnolia View Post
                            Looks perfect, Mark!! Glad you found a few and got to try it!
                            Thank You Beckster!
                            Mark
                            sigpic

Comment

I really enjoy that "Vortex"... used about the same procedure the other night on that porter... Thunderdome... I think you have something every kettle owner needs..just does not know it yet :{)

Nice cook, Mark...
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X