Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water tank Algea

hi y'all
    I need some advice from you guys about how to keep algae under control in plastic storage tanks. I added 2 caged tanks to help extend my irrigation water for Mrs Otis' garden. Works well having an addl 55o gallons of water between irrigation cycles. BUT, they are getting algae growth inside of them. I sprayed them with vinegar when they were empty and it is killing the growth but i cant keep doing that all the time. And it grows on the sides of the tanks when they are full of water.

Any ideas on what I can add thats food safe and keep it from coming back?
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Weird question.
    Are they in the sunlight? If so get the in shade.
    Chlorine will kill the algae...and the plants as well.

Bestest I can figure is to keep in the coolest darkest place ya can.
    That how cisterns work.
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Thanks Mark, but there aint many cool places in phoenix these days. They are out in the open and the garden is too far away from any shelter to do much about it. There is some shade from trees, but not enough to be a factor. Someone suggested covering or painting them to keep the sunlight out. probably will do that but Im hoping to come up with something to keep them algae free on top of that idea. Maybe a very small amount of chlorine added to help control it? Would have to be a small amount, but when I used to backwash my pool, it didnt hurt the lawn any.
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

5 %Cl2 will mostly keep it out, if it there is none before. That tough, without shade, in sun. Perfect for algae.. not sure. Maybe try a farmers co-op like Southern States here. They has to be somethin out there they do, what I dunno! Wish ya the best with it.
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

you could try lining them with black plastic.
          basically you need to block the sunlight.
          However I would imagine somewhere very sunny black plastic will absorb sun and that will also heat the water.
          So maybe you could line it with black plastic and then cover the outside in opaque white plastic. That way you'll block the sunlight and not cook the plants :-)
          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Have you tried this?

https://www.amazon.com/Green-Killing...gae+control+uv

dcarch

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
              interesting, but this one is only good for up to 50 gallon aquariums. I have two 275 gallon tanks to treat.

I did some searching on the intraweb and found that farmers treat their stock tanks with copper sulfate.

https://burke.ces.ncsu.edu/2016/05/c...k-water-tanks/

Anyone have experience with this? Seems like it wouldn't take much for each tank and if its safe for livestock, it should be ok for the garden water?
              Mike
              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

I know if you hammer copper nails into a tree, the tree will die. You may want to read ALL of this from Wiki... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper(II)_sulfate

I'm thinking blocking oot the light by painting the tanks is your best option... Don't paint them black though.

Not to mention the occasional campfire

My --->
                Paul

Comment

Copper sulfate kills vegetation...Period...

I'm just curious...If watering your garden is all this water is used for then why worry about algea?
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                    interesting, but this one is only good for up to 50 gallon aquariums. I have two 275 gallon tanks to treat.

I did some searching on the intraweb and found that farmers treat their stock tanks with copper sulfate.

https://burke.ces.ncsu.edu/2016/05/c...k-water-tanks/

Anyone have experience with this? Seems like it wouldn't take much for each tank and if its safe for livestock, it should be ok for the garden water?
                    They make bigger UV algae control for bigger tanks.

Interesting that copper sulfate is approved for organic farming use.

dcarch

Comment

Originally posted by dcarch View Post
                      They make bigger UV algae control for bigger tanks.

Interesting that copper sulfate is approved for organic farming use.

dcarch
                      Yes it is...As a fungicide...In small enough amounts it has it's purpose...A touch too much and ya killed your whole crop...

It used to be used as sewer line cleaner till they realized it was killing off all forms of vegetation (and aquatic life of all forms) downstream...Labeled now as an environmental hazard I believe...

As an avid organic gardener I would never use it...
                      Craig
                      sigpic

Comment

Everything I read says keep it dark, and debris free and shouldn't be an issue if using for garden watering.

Comment

Mrs Otis is looking into hydrogen peroxide as an additive once I get them completely cleaned out. And Im thinking of some brown paint to match the surroundings will keep it down too. Not convinced on copper sulfate, even from what i read that it would literally take about 2 Tblsp per tank, just looking for input since it was used in livestock tanks.
                          Mike
                          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
                            Mrs Otis is looking into hydrogen peroxide as an additive once I get them completely cleaned out. And Im thinking of some brown paint to match the surroundings will keep it down too. Not convinced on copper sulfate, even from what i read that it would literally take about 2 Tblsp per tank, just looking for input since it was used in livestock tanks.
                            I've worked in the animal nutrition industry for 36 years...We do add copper sulfate to cattle rations as a significant source of copper...We also formulate it into goat feed...Very small amounts will kill a sheep dead but other ruminants utilize it well...

I ask again why does the algea in your gardening water source matter?
                            Craig
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
                              I ask again why does the algea in your gardening water source matter?
                              I dont know that it matters so much as it looks pretty bad since you can see it through the tank. I suppose there may be no harm in it, but it bugs Mrs. Otis and you know how that story goes.....
                              Mike
                              Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Working...
                              X