Sous Vide Brisket 2 different ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sous Vide Brisket 2 different ways

Let me start out by saying that I have never done a Brisket before, so if I trimmed it wrong, cooked it wrong, etc....please let me know so I can do better next time.

I picked up a Prime Brisket from Costco and trimmed it, then broke it up into the flat and point, then I cut the flat into two chunks so I could cook each a different way in the SV. I rubbed them with Zachs Brisket Rub and vacuum packed one of them. The other two I cold smoked for 60 minutes with whiskey oak in the smoker and then immediately vacuum packed the flat and point. I let the non-smoked chunk of flat sit in the fridge over night and the next day I put it in the SV at 155 for 30 hours. After the 30 hours I put it in the fridge to rest for about 1 1/2 days, then I pulled it and put it in the Bradley set at highest temp and only got up to about 250 - 260, I let it roll with whiskey oak for 3 hours, then pulled it and sliced it. I reduced the liquid from the bag to drizzle on brisket. (it was mighty tasty) Here are pics of the Brisket before trimming, after trimming, in SV, and after the smoker.

The brisket had some bark to it and had a nice smoky flavor to it, it was tender and moist except for the skinny end of the flat.

For the other flat and point after about 4 days in the fridge to let smoke marinate I took it out of the fridge and put it in the SV for 72 hours at 155. After the 72 hours I pulled the brisket and put it on my grill for about 8 minutes or so to crisp up the outside I then pulled it and sliced the flat and pulled the point for pulled beef. Here are some pics of the brisket, before the grill, after the grill, sliced, and plated.

The brisket had no bark obviously, but the flavor was good and noticeably more tender. The point actually broke apart into two pieces when I tried to remove from bag. Suprisingly I did not get much smoek flavor and felt like the flat was just a touch drier than the first brisket. I think next time I might try longer for cold smoke or just always finish in smoker.

Hell, I'll give you points for a number of reasons.

Doing that in SV with the price of brisket these days.

First time doing brisket.

Posting this for us.

All that said, I'd be happy to sit at your table and have a meal of your cooking!

Pete
    Large BGE
    Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Oh yeah, cool experiment. It's amazing how many different ways we can cook a slab of beef and have it come out delicious.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
        Hell, I'll give you points for a number of reasons.

Doing that in SV with the price of brisket these days.

First time doing brisket.

Posting this for us.

All that said, I'd be happy to sit at your table and have a meal of your cooking!

Totally agree with all of this! Nicely done Sir!
        if they let me!

On edit: They got me cuffed again... bastages. IOU!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Very nice! Great thread. Ootta butt totally worthy
          sigpic

Comment

yeah Man!...i like that!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Ain’t no shame in that game. Looks like some good eating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X