finally built a uds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally built a uds

finally got it put together and seasoned it up tonight using a temp charcoal basket. my main grate is 8" from the top and the second grate is 8" below it. my question is if i halve 4-6 small chickens and have them on both grates will that be ok? or is the second grate too close to the fire? my buddies dad wants chickens for a party we are having in a few weeks.

Is it a 55 gallon barrel? If so your good to go.

Comment

two issues...are you using a dome top (Weber Kettle lid) or flat? If you are using a dome lid I'd move both grates up with the top one just a couple of inches below the rim.
      Either way, just be sure you have something for a heat deflector. I have just an 18" pizza pan that sits on top of the charcoal basket and it seems to work really well.
      Kent [sigpic

Lang 36" Patio
      GMG Daniel Boone
      Husker Red UDS V.2014
      22" Black Weber Kettle V.1988
      40" MES V. 2
      British Racing Green Thermapen w/Glow-in-the-dark silicone boot!
      Thermapen Smoke

Comment

I have always used a water pan between the heat and food on a UDS but that's just how I roll. I have graduated to a MES.

Comment

A 55 gallon drum is about 34" tall. Typically with a flat lid, the grate is about 7" from the top. Charcoal baskets generally sit 3" off the bottom providing about 24" between the bottom of the charcoal basket and the first cook grate.

I'm guessing you'll only have about 15" between the bottom of the charcoal basket and the bottom grate.

A deflector might help avoid a grease fire.
          CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
          UDS 1.0
          Afterburner
          Weber Performer
          Blue Thermapen
          Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
          Auber Smoker Controller
          Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
          -
          "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Thanks guys I do have a 16" pizza pan I got to use. I'm doing 2 halfs today and a rolled roast to try it out!

I had. meS and used it so much we burned them up lol

Comment

I'm a Pitt Panther fan but I will help you out anyway LOL. I used to live in Mt Pleasant out your way. I use a UDS a lot. Your bottom rack is too close. You want two feet and a deflector. Also, make sure you get the temp up at the end of the cook so the skin will be bite through. You've used an mes so I am sure you are aware of this. I just thought I'd toss that in. As chicken does not require low and slow per se I tend to use my kettles with it. Chicken benefits from the almost instant temp swings you can get from them. Especially when going up. Makes getting the skin right easier in my opinion. Saves on fuel too.
              Weber Smoky Joe
              18" Weber Silver
              22.5" Weber Gold
              22.5" Weber Silver
              UDS X 2
              Masterbuilt 30" MES digital
              Masterbuilt MES 40" digital
              Masterbuilt cold smoke attachment
              Char-Broil Big Easy 3 in 1
              Char-Broil COS with Ron Fischer mods.
              Dual Char-Broil BBQ Bistros
              Blackstone three burner flat top
              5" AMZNPS
              Vortex x 2
              Maverick ET 73
              Maverick ET 732
              Maverick Pro Temp instant read thermometer
              Thermo Works Smoke Dual Channel Thermometer
              Pitmaster iQue 110
              sigpic

Comment

Haha thanks! I hope the backyard brawl comes back one day....

When I put the second rack in it's for my water/ heat deflector. Didn't plan on using it to cook but buddies dad wants a bunch of halves for a party in a few weeks. I have two on now testing it out

Comment

I dont use a drum but it seems to me that the top rack is where ya want the birds to cook...They dont take all that long so why not cook in two batches for the sake of consistency...Just a thought...
                  Craig
                  sigpic

Comment

��

Comment

Originally posted by wvuarmyeng View Post
                      When I put the second rack in it's for my water/ heat deflector.
                      Use it for the heat deflector.

No need for a water pan in a UDS. They are pretty moist cookers as it is. No need to add humidity IMHO.
                      CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
                      -
                      "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Didn't notice get a chance to put these up Sunday but man wasn't it good! Used some apple cider vinegar Worcester garlic salt some crushed black pepper brown sugar and honey let sit over night and wham it was amazing!

I also got my good charcoal basket so now I'm set. If you can't tell it was a tad windy! Can't wait to learn more on it
                        Attached Files

Comment

well since i turned me head 90° to the left... now my airplane brain kicked in before me Natty...you good!
                          Sunset Eagle Aviation
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Keep your eyes open for a weber 22 1/2" domed lid. I got mine free on CL. It fits the top of the drum perfectly. You will like it.
                            MES 30"
                            A-Maze-N pellet smoker
                            Weber 22" kettle
                            E-Z-Que rotisserie
                            Weber Smokey Joe
                            Big Weber Gasser
                            Cracker Smoker
                            UDS

Comment

I have a 22.5 grill also. tried the lid it wont sit on the lip. I would have to mod it somehow...

Comment

Working...
                              X