Instant Pot (Not For Smoking)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant Pot (Not For Smoking)

Pressure cooking kitchen appliance that is..... The bottom aluminum part of our big rice cooker we have probably had 15-20 years was starting to look like it would break any day (was a damn good performer, RIP) and oor son wanted a crock pot, so gave him oors we got 20+ years ago. So instead of buying new models of each, we got an Instant Pot to replace them.

I have yet to use it, but it's a heavy bastard and looks well built from what I can see. Also bought the 4 year warranty from Amazon for like $5 more, as some of the reviews were not that great for reliability

So, does anyone have one? What do you think? I have heard hard "boiled" eggs in them are excellent and easy pealing? Also wanna try beef and or chicken stew in it eventually
    sigpic

I have a pressure cooker, but I had to look up instant pot to see what that was... it's a midget size R2D2 type of gig. Looks pretty cool...programmable I imagine. You gonna have fun with that kilo Pascal cat daddy!
    BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
    Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
    I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

Fish Cat...i ain't got a clue A$ wth u jacked about... reckon u better get a pic...
      Sunset Eagle Aviation
      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

i'm with Mike on this one
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Engineer View Post
          I have a pressure cooker, but I had to look up instant pot to see what that was... it's a midget size R2D2 type of gig. Looks pretty cool...programmable I imagine. You gonna have fun with that kilo Pascal cat daddy!
          Midget R2D2 is exactly right Programmable? I think so, but its all new to me. A lot of the wife units friends have them and really like em..... Idunno

I will get a pic..... Lots of reading, directions, and DO NOT DO's! .... I don't like that part already

Here's what we got.....

Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1 Multi-Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Sauté, Yogurt Maker and Warmer (Packaging May Vary) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FLYWNYQ..._qepHAb6QX2MEQ
          sigpic

Comment

Instant Pot (Not For Smoking)

We got one on Black Friday. Haven’t used it much yet but boiled eggs are awesome and super easy to peel. Made several batches to them so far. Also the crack chicken (chicken, ranch powder, cream cheese, topped with bacon) is a huge hit in our house. I love being able to throw frozen chicken breasts in it and have dinner done in 15-20 minutes because I always forget to take stuff out to thaw.
            Mike
            Life In Pit Row

Comment

Originally posted by PitRow View Post
              We got one on Black Friday. Haven’t used it much yet but boiled eggs are awesome and super easy to peel. Made several batches to them so far. Also the crack chicken (chicken, ranch powder, cream cheese, topped with bacon) is a huge hit in our house. I love being able to throw frozen chicken breasts in it and have dinner done in 15-20 minutes because I always forget to take stuff out to thaw.
              I have also heard rave reviews aboot the crack chicken..... I like the hard boiled eggs reviews also, love em, and strangely my youngest son does also. Gotta get on em
              sigpic

Comment

Interesting. I also have a pressure cooker that still has function, so I probably won't need one of these for a while... Very interested in how it works oot...

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I got Mrs otis one about 6 months ago. She loves it. Although we havent done hard boiled eggs in it, we have made stews, chicken & dumplings, and it rocks for any bean (kidney, black, pinto) dish. Maybe not green beans, sorry Rich. Apparently you can even make yogurt in it.

Mrs Otis is a Pinterestaholic and there are tons of recipes there & youtube for the Instant pot. Pretty versatile P.C.
                  Mike
                  Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
                  POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
                  Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Comment

I had the pressure cooker XL and it crapped out on me after 6 uses.. I loved it due to the fast meals it could crank out and yes Eggs are a breeze.. Looking at picking up the Cosori 6 Qt. 80 bonez..
                    Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
                      Lots of reading, directions, and DO NOT DO's! .... I don't like that part already
                      Fish, that sounds like a challenge to me. Pick a date a few weeks before the warranty expires and that is your target date for test completion...time to test this rig out!
                      BBQ Eng.

The "Cow Girls" were adopted from the shelter, and found on petfinder.com.
                      Adopt a homeless pet - http://www.petfinder.com
                      I built the Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden Smoker Build

Over 5000 unreadable posts...Photobucket can kiss my ass...they will never get a dime. I will not pay a ransom.

Comment

We got one from the kids for Christmas and yes the hard boiled eggs from it are awesome. We have done some chili and a few other items and it works well. My daughter has had one for about a year and is obsessed with it. she probably uses it 4 times a week, but she is a teacher and it helps her get meals on the table quick where she used to rely on a crock pot. She makes her own yogurt with it and has even started a facebook page for her other obsessed friend to share recipes.

Barry.

Comment

Hmm, if it'll go low enough to do yoghurt - then you can presumably use it with sous vide as well.
                          Sorry smoke freak, you can't have one :-)
                          Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                          Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

While we don't have an Instant Pot we do have a Living Well pressure cooker (don't think they sell them anymore, it was marketed using Montel William's name). It is digital and doesn't seem too different from the Instant Pot. We used it a little after we first got it with limited success and didn't touch it for about 4 years until last month. Trying to use it now and then for fast meals after work. It is convenient for the wife when she gets home before I do and has both kids with her. The obvious use is as a croc pot replacement and it doesn't have to cook all day. Instead of hours it can be ready to eat in 30 min. Also alot of recipes out there that aren't typical croc pot meals. Like I said we haven't used it too much but have made a few pretty good meals in it. What I remember from years ago when we first used it, it was easy to over cook food in it.

Give it a try and share any good recipes you across. Remember, in case of failed dinners pizza is only a phone call away.

Comment

The one consistent complaint I keep seeing is that the silicone sealing ring will pick up the aroma of whatever you cooked last. Lots of people complain about it and even go as far as buying different rings for different meal, especially ones where they know the smell will stick with the ring.

Personally I haven't noticed the lingering smell in mine, but I do take mine off and wash it after every use and store it outside the instantpot.
                              Mike
                              Life In Pit Row

Comment

Working...
                              X