Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seafood Gumbo with grouper, shrimp, lump crab and smoked Andouillee sausage etc. etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seafood Gumbo with grouper, shrimp, lump crab and smoked Andouillee sausage etc. etc.

Seafood Gumbo with grouper, shrimp, lump crab and smoked Andouillee sausage in a Country Bread bowl with crispy cornbread cactus. Smoked fishspread in a Country Bread bowl with crispy cornbread tea and junior cobs. New Orleans Bread Pudding with Bourbon Praline sauce. And a Mint Julep.

We have to go back a ways to start. I smoked the fish a coupla months ago and froze them. I like to keep three or four frozen just for fishdip. I confess up front - I bought these. Kinda hard to catch red snapper in a kayak.

In the smoker. Those pans are full of Mahi Mahi I smoke for a local restaurant.They were skinless chunks so I had the "pan" them. I figure if I have a fire lit.......

And finished, just ignore those stuffed Portobellos and yes that is smoked mullet roe in the bottom right. You'll notice that the fish is kinda thin so I check it's "doneness" by thumb. For fishdip I actually kinda overcook and dry it to give the dip more texture.

The sausage was also made, smoked and frozen a while back, It was made from wild hog belly, cured and smoked. Mess #1.

And in the smoker.

Here we have the big round ready for the oven. The pattern of dots is from the colander I used for the final rise. Accidental but kinda cool. You can see the start of the gumbo in the background.

Here is the small round...with no dots (next time), ready of the oven.

While the bread is in the oven I got started on the Gumbo, mess #2.

The bread out of the oven and on a cooling rack.

The roux is cooked and I've added the aromatics. I ment to get a pic of the roux but is was getting too dark - DO NOT BURN THE ROUX MARK.

Added the tomato, tomato paste/sauce and broth. It's my brothers recipe and he say's to use beef broth, I used both.

Now we have the Andouillee out of the freezer, defrosted and sliced.

The rest of the protein (mess #3) and add it to the Gumbo.

While the gumbo simmers I hollow out the "bread bowls" saving the bread for the bread pudding. Yea I know it's supposed to be French bread, so!

Mess #4 for the bread pudding.

Mess #5 for the Praline Bourbon sauce

The P & B sauce cooked. I put the Georgia pecans in at the last minute. (not pictured) Yes, from Georgia.

The bread pudding out of the oven.

Our defrosted smoked mullet. I reduced the recipe for this so only one fillet.

Mess #5 for the fish dip with the fish added. I always save a couple pieces to add after it is mixed for more texture and garnish.

Crispy Cornbread Cactus and Corn Cobs (and fish) cooling. They are great for dipping both the Gumbo and fishspread.

And

I didn't post the recipes as this thing is long enough, I'll be glad to share them if you want. I'll have to check with Bro about the Gumbo. It's pretty much from La Bouche Creole by Leon Soniat, Memere and Mamete's recipe (his Grandmother and Mother). I just don't like oysters cooked and as usual adjusted a few things. There was a bit more Bourbon it my glass than this recipe calls for.....

Well, here's the Mint Julep;

4 mint sprigs
    2 ½ oz Bourbon
    1 tsp. powdered sugar
    2 tsp. H2O

Place 3 sprigs of mint in the bottom of a glass. Add the H2O and sugar, then muttle with a pistol or spoon.
    Fill the glass with ice, add the Bourbon and garnish with the last sprig of mint. Simple!
    Mark
    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

sigpic

Comment

Impressive
      sigpic

Certified Sausage Head

Comment

Yeah, that was one helluva spread, congrats agian on the win

GOSM
        K.C.B.S Member # 60786
        Digital Thermometers
        Hybrid Kenmore grill 1/2 charcoal 1/2 gas
        140 lb English Mastiff/ American Bulldog, she is my taste tester and BBQ companion.

Comment

For sure! Very nice Mark. A lot of hard work went in to that! Congrats again.

Comment

Wow. If this thread and meal doesn't deserve something is very wrong. Excellent stuff!
            Lang 36 Patio, a few Webers, 2 Eggs, plenty of gadgets and a MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric for bacon and sausage.
            My best asset however is the inspiration from the members on this forum.

sigpic
            @SmokinJim52 on Twitter

Comment

Are you kidding me

Awesome job and pics. Love the first one with the mullet and snapper. Outstanding from start to fininsh
              Pete
              Large BGE
              Char Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

Comment

Way to represent us Florida cooks.
                "I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."
                PFC Martin, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment, Battle of the Buldge

Comment

Having a party or something? I have eaten alog of gumbo and never have I eaten any w/fish. Very interesting. May have to give that a try when the weather cools a bit.
                  Stumps Baby
                  Bubba Keg Convection Grill
                  Digi Q
                  Gasser with 4+ yrs of dust
                  Custom end grain cutting board
                  Superfast Yellow Thermapen
                  18 " Smoke Vault
                  12" AMNTS
                  AMNPS
                  Newbie beer brewer

Comment

Originally posted by 44 bbq View Post
                    Having a party or something? I have eaten alog of gumbo and never have I eaten any w/fish. Very interesting. May have to give that a try when the weather cools a bit.
                    Take a look at La Bouche Creole by Leon Soniat. It's old school Cajun cookin. Like my pop did, shoot we had fish Gumbo pretty often seeing as we could catch them right out the back door of the house. Smoked fish too, mostly mullet. They taste different here, especially is you get them from sand bottom - not muddy. Great fresh fried!
                    Mark
                    sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                    Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

OK, I will admit after seeing the process, you had a lot more going on than the contest pic/description suggested. Very nice spread!
                      Once you go Weber....you never call customer service....

Comment

"It" just moved.

Nice work. Beautiful presentation and I bet everything was great.
                        I'm jealous.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Abelman View Post
                          Are you kidding me

Awesome job and pics. Love the first one with the mullet and snapper. Outstanding from start to fininsh
                          AMEN!!!

It got my vote, although squirrel's was a very very close second IMO.

points from me too!
                          Lang 60 Mobile deluxe

Captain-N-Smoke BBQ Team(retired)

Comment

Impressive as hell Mark!
                            Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
                            Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
                            SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
                            Yoder Wichita
                            Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
                            Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
                            Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

this one caught my eye big time...nice job!
                              sigpic
                              it's all good my friend..........

Comment

Working...
                              X