What the hell is a Runza?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the hell is a Runza?

Well folks, since my smoker is down, you all will have to humor me and pretend like these recipes I'm posting look good.
    This one is a Cornhusker favorite. Comes from a restaurant called "Runza Hut." Actually I think they've changed it to just "Runza."
    Anyway, it goes something like this.

Start a loaf of your favorite white bread or use a frozen loaf.
    Let rise to double it's original size.
    While you're waiting for it to rise, brown 1 lb ground beef in large kettle.
    Shred 1/2 head cabbage.
    Chop 1/2 medium onion.
    Add cabbage and onion to kettle.
    Add 1 Tbl GBP and 1 1/2 tsp of salt and fry for a few minutes, then add a little water, cover and steam till wilted, but not soggy. Set side. This is pepper heavy, so you may need more or less depending on your taste. But pepper is the flavor.

Once loaf has risen, punch down and separate into 8 or 10 equal size balls.

Roll out to about an 12 inch by 12 inch square. OK maybe not so square then, but you get the point. It'll be pretty thin.

Spoon about 3/4 cup of cabbage mixture on the dough.

Add cheese if you like. This is slices of Velveeta.

Fold in ends, then fold sides or vise versa. make it look similar to this anyway.

Place on cookie sheet, then set to rise a second time.

The dough is thin enough that it will rise very little, but it will rise. You can see a little difference here.

Now bake on center rack for 15 to 20 minutes until lightly golden. You may have to brush with egg white to get them to brown.
    I'll post the finished pics in a bit. When they are done, duh.

Tom

Well Gunny, I don't think its anything I want to eat anytime soon. But I bet my boys would eat it. I'll pass it along to them. What the heck happenned to your smoker man? Go out to Wally Worls and get you an ECB for back-up duty. Either that or cut up a barrel.
    sigpic

Comment

Here they are right before I consume them.
      These things are great. Wutang will probably recognize them.

The possibilities with these are endless. We have had them with sliced brisket, mushrooms, and provolone.
      Also, take about 3 cups of spaghetti sauce and mix with 2 lbs of browned ground beef, mushrooms, bell peppers, and fresh grated Parmesan cheese for an Italian twist.
      Pulled pork and sharp cheddar is good.
      Scrambled eggs, sausage, bell and jap peppers, onions, tator tots, and American cheese, then smothered in sausage gravy after they come out of the oven is great for breakfast.

Oh yeah and the fries. This is from Hubert Keller and it's all about the method here. I'm sure you will think I'm full of it, but try it once and see if you don't agree. It's something about soaking. I don't know if a lot of the starch is leached out or what's going on, but they really are the "Perfect French Fry."

4 large (about 2 pounds) potatoes, preferably russets, peeled.
      6 to 8 cups vegetable or sunflower oil for deep frying
      Coarse sea salt

Method
      1. Place the potatoes in a pan of cold water to cover, then let them soak overnight, refrigerated. The next day, drain and cut them. For skinny fries, cut the potatoes lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Cut these lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick strips. For fat fries, simply increase the width of your slices. For wedges, cut the potatoes lengthwise in half, then cut the halves into wedges. To make evenly sized wedges, if the potatoes are very fat, you may need to cut a lengthwise slice out of the middle of the potato and either discard it or cut it into fat fries. For shoestrings, use the julienne blade of a mandolin and cut the potatoes into very fine strips. However they are cut, place the potatoes in a bowl, cover with cold water, and again let them soak overnight, refrigerated.

2. When ready to fry, drain the potatoes well and pat dry with paper towels or a kitchen towel. Cover a baking sheet with several layers of paper towels. Put 2 cups of oil per potato in a deep, heavy pot or deep fryer. The oil should fill the pot at least one-third full. Heat it to 250°F. Working in batches, fry the potatoes until they are cooked through but remain almost white, about 5 minutes. Drain on the prepared baking sheet. The fries may be prepared up to this point several hours in advance. Cover and refrigerate until needed.

3. Just before serving, heat the oil to 360°F. Again working in batches, fry the potatoes until they are golden and crisp. The timing will depend on the size you have cut your potatoes, but allow about 3 minutes for skinny fries. When done, drain them briefly on paper towels and sprinkle liberally with salt. Scoop them into a bowl and serve immediately.

Tom

Comment

those look good. as you said the possbilitys can be endless.
        In panama' they were called empanadas but they were folded over and sealed with a fork instead of rolled / folded. and here in n.m we call them burritos.now I will ask for RUNZA'S here lol.
        when I make them, emepandas or burritos I deep fry them at times. we will make upwards of 50 of them and freeze em, then nuke em, bake em and fry them. what ever I feel up to.
        have not had the fried in a while.
        how much longer before your smoker is ready?
        sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
        nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

They do look yummy, Gunny..
          I never did think to make an empanada with frozen bread dough.. Great idea!!
          Thank you for the post, I just gained like 10 lbs... lol!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
            those look good. as you said the possbilitys can be endless.
            In panama' they were called empanadas but they were folded over and sealed with a fork instead of rolled / folded. and here in n.m we call them burritos.now I will ask for RUNZA'S here lol.
            when I make them, emepandas or burritos I deep fry them at times. we will make upwards of 50 of them and freeze em, then nuke em, bake em and fry them. what ever I feel up to.
            have not had the fried in a while.
            how much longer before your smoker is ready?
            Originally posted by Bbqgoddess View Post
            They do look yummy, Gunny..
            I never did think to make an empanada with frozen bread dough.. Great idea!!
            Thank you for the post, I just gained like 10 lbs... lol!
            Not empanadas folks. R-U-N-Z-A!!!! Not Spanish or Arabian. Hamburger, cabbage, salt, pepper, American cheese. That's as American as it gets. And Midwestern too. There ain't enough crap in these to even come close to Mexcican. You people are friggin' crazy. American......AMERICAN.......AMERICAN...........RUNZA!!!!!!

Tom

Comment

What the heck is Runza then? LOL! Is that english? lol!! Gunny you are killing me!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

http://www.kitchengifts.com/runza.html

hope this helps..but now I am cornfused again.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

sorta like home made hot pockets eh... thks for sharing man
                  Charbroil SFB
                  GOSM
                  MES
                  Dutch Ovens and other CI
                  Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                  Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kyote View Post
                    http://www.kitchengifts.com/runza.html

hope this helps..but now I am cornfused again.
                    She's a plagiarist and a fake. Runza is no more German than a friggin' kangaroo.
                    She fed her fat ass at a Nebraska restaurant called RUNZA Hut, then came up with that feeble attempt to duplicate it.
                    Good grief, I posted a link at the beginning of the damn thread.

http://www.runza.com/about/history
                    Last edited by Gunslinger; 06-29-2009, 12:05 AM.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      She's a plagiarist and a fake. Runza is no more German than a friggin' kangaroo.
                      She fed her fat ass at a Nebraska restaurant called RUNZA Hut, then came up with that feeble attempt to duplicate it.
                      Good grief, I posted a link at the beginning of the damn thread.

http://www.runza.com/about/history
                      got it.RUNZARUNZARUNZARUNZARUNZARUNZA

but I am going to put mexican goat cheese in mine and call it a "carumba" (patent pending)

Comment

OH MY GOD

had these in omaha............WHAT a treat..........kevin........bbq big red........and i was talkng about these..........werth the 2 hours trip to omaha to get em

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

but I am going to put mexican goat cheese in mine and call it a "carumba" (patent pending)

Tom

Comment

you all will have to humor me and pretend like these recipes I'm posting look good.
                            Lmao - no pretence needed mate - your stuff ALWAYS looks good !

However (snigger snigger)
                            Hamburger,
                            Umm, that's actually GERMAN lmao
                            Named after the City of hamburg - which coincidentally is a hansa town. Hansa - sounds a bit like runza, coincidence

Anyway they do look great. I was thinking pirogis myself, something very similiar to those in the back of rytek kutas book he calls them pirogis

Anyway while the smoker is down - how about some progress on the massive kettle bbq you were making :-)
                            Last edited by curious aardvark; 06-29-2009, 06:36 AM.
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                              Here they are right before I consume them.
                              These things are great. Wutang will probably recognize them.
                              They look like the real deal. Runza restaurants are definately unique to this area but to be honest when I go there I usually get a cheeseburger

My wife loves Runza's and was very interested when I told about this post. She has lived here all her life and has grown up on them. I am a transplant-maybe that is why I don't like them quite as much as she does.

Great post Gunny.
                              KCBS/CBJ #56408

"Sticks and stones will break your bones, but words will always teach you." -Shihan

Comment

Working...
                              X