He said "you can't make bacon like"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He said "you can't make bacon like"

Had a older gentleman a loooog time family friend (he's 76) tell me that "while I like cured bacon it's just not possible to make your fresh cured bacon taste like the store bought"

Gents, is there a way to make my bacon taste exactly like the store without all the preserves that they may add?

I got nothing, the only bacon I have made is Canadian with TQ. I have recently seen some bacon for sale where the packaging said "uncured". They noted Celery juice, and or something else as maybe part of their preservatives Never really looked too hard at em.

Be curious what some folks might think Be watching this....
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
      I got nothing, the only bacon I have made is Canadian with TQ. I have recently seen some bacon for sale where the packaging said "uncured". They noted Celery juice, and or something else as maybe part of their preservatives Never really looked too hard at em.

I suspect they likely inject it with something then of course smoke it. I'd like to prove him wrong and have him try some good "store bought" bacon I sliced the evening before

Comment

Originally posted by Blinginpse View Post
        I suspect they likely inject it with something then of course smoke it. I'd like to prove him wrong and have him try some good "store bought" bacon I sliced the evening before
        Wish I could help, butt I got nothing. I have not tried the "uncured" bacon either. Maybe somebody will chime in with some good info.

Be watching
        sigpic

Comment

Wish I could help, butt I got nothing. I have not tried the "uncured" bacon either. Maybe somebody will chime in with some good info.

Be watching

Sounds good maybe we can learn together them sir

Comment

Celery juice/powder is being used as the cure. Celery has alot of nitrates. How they can call it uncured is beyond me. But the people that buy into the "nitrates are bad" don't realize that the celery is the same thing. It's kind of like people that think organic food is better cause it's not sprayed, yet it can be sprayed more than conventional.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
              Celery juice/powder is being used as the cure. Celery has alot of nitrates. How they can call it uncured is beyond me. But the people that buy into the "nitrates are bad" don't realize that the celery is the same thing. It's kind of like people that think organic food is better cause it's not sprayed, yet it can be sprayed more than conventional.

I won't even get On that organic mess.

Comment

I won't even get On that organic mess.
                I don't really care what people raise or eat as long as the know the whole truth.

I'm kinda confused by your original post. Is the question Can I cure bacon to taste like store bought bacon? Short answer no. It'll taste so much better if you cure it yourself.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                  I don't really care what people raise or eat as long as the know the whole truth.

I'm kinda confused by your original post. Is the question Can I cure bacon to taste like store bought bacon? Short answer no. It'll taste so much better if you cure it yourself.

That is the question yes. He and several others say store bought bacon tastes better than home Cured. So was curious if anyone had a way to mimic store bought and if can make it taste better then even better

Comment

X2 It will taste much better.

Well unless you add juniper berries.......a recipe I tried a few years ago.

I learned the long way....now its keep it simple, salt, pepper, and some sort of sugar sometimes.

Taste much better than the 50 lbs of store bought I have in the freezer.

Comment

That is the question yes. He and several others say store bought bacon tastes better than home Cured. So was curious if anyone had a way to mimic store bought and if can make it taste better then even better
                      You can use either tenderquick or cure 1. I use cure 1 so I can control sodium levels. Check out the bacon section. Should be some recipes there. I've only done it a couple times and usually used recipes from Rytek Kutas book and the Marianski book.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                        X2 It will taste much better.

Well unless you add juniper berries.......a recipe I tried a few years ago.

I learned the long way....now its keep it simple, salt, pepper, and some sort of sugar sometimes.

Taste much better than the 50 lbs of store bought I have in the freezer.

Maybe add, or inject Kosher Salt and some sugar to help replicate the store bought taste with whatever you are doing? (Brine, cure, injection?) Maybe during the curing/brining process? I also like Peppered bacon, maybe some Pepper to the exterior? Just thinking oot loud here
                        sigpic

Comment

"while I like cured bacon it's just not possible to make your fresh cured bacon taste like the store bought"

Gents, is there a way to make my bacon taste exactly like the store without all the preserves that they may add?
                          So if I understand what your're asking, you want to make fresh bacon with no preservatives and have it taste like store bought? Can't be done, bacon's flavor comes from the cure.

My store bought bacon has water, salt, sugar, sodium phosphate (to aid in retaining the water), a cure accelerator to speed up the process and of course the nitrite cure.

Basic homemade bacon is just salt sugar and cure, after that you can add any spice you want.

I'm not sure I answered your question or not, but I hope this helped.
                          sigpic

Comment

yes, it's easy.

Use factory farmed pig,s raised on the cheapest, nastiest feed you can get. This will give your starting meat that completely flavourless, blandness many americans love in their meat.

Then soak it in strong brine and phosphates until you've doubled the weight and dropped the flavour even more and it resembles nothing less than a cattle salt lick.
                            Commercial is almost never dry cured, soaking and injecting brine is much faster and assures way way more salt in the actual bacon itself.

Then make sure you only ever use belly pork that is 70% + fat. You don't want any of that nasty pinky red stuff in there - oh hell no, it's the good white stuff you want.

Basically, the commercial american bacon flavour is based around fried salty fat with added overtones of phosphates.

Also bear in mind the older you get the more your tastes change, one of the flavours that stays fairly strong is salt. Primarily because it's essential to keep you alive. So even an old, worn out animal needs to be able to taste salt in food. Sweet, sour, bitter - not so much. By that age you'd already know what things not to eat, so the warning flavours fade with time.

Basically the bloke is saying: 'can you sell me strips of fat with so much salt in and on that I could defrost a mile of major highway with 3 strips ?'

So the correct answer to to the question: 'Can you make your bacon taste like store bought ?'
                            is: 'Oh hell no !' Shouted with pride :-)
                            Last edited by curious aardvark; 12-15-2017, 06:42 AM.
                            Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                            Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

I like it here....Straight to the point. I felt there was something they did or used to make it taste different to him. Sounds like his taste buds are just messed[emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                              X