Seasoning Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seasoning Cast Iron

I've been meaning to get after this. I picked up a Lodge 12" frying pan for myself, and a cheapie 5 Qt. dutch oven for a brother. Got them both at a thrift store for 5.00 apiece. Great deal, but needed some TLC.

The DO was never seasoned. Probably bought and then sat around. When it rusted they tossed it. So, I got out the steel wool and some kosher salt. The salt gives a little extra grit. Some use oil, but I just use water. It's easier to rinse off. Once I was satisfied with the rust issue, I fired up the gas grill.

It doesn't have to be real hot for drying, around 250-300. Leave the heat on for at least a half hour and then let it cool slowly. You want it nice and dry. When it's cool enough to handle, give it a liberal coating of Crisco. You can see the difference between the two.

I like to start with a cold grill. Place the CI upside down and turn it on high. Let it build heat to as hot as it will get. I can get around 500 degrees. Leave there for about an hour. It varies. If it still looks wet, or still smoking it's not done. When it's done it should look dry and dull.

When it's cool enough to handle, wipe it down with a fresh coat of Crisco. Kind of like wiping it on and then off. Good to go.

This method has worked well for me. All the rust in this case was just surface stuff. It takes some elbow grease, but an electrolysis set-up or a lye bath is just not feasible for most. Hope someone finds it helpful.
    Last edited by RowdyRay; 06-08-2009, 07:14 PM.
    S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
    CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
    New Braunfels Bandera
    UniFlame Gas Grill
    Lil Chief

$5 great deal you did well. Nice picks on the rehab work.
    sigpic

Comment

I knew the Lodge would come out fine but that Korean DO - WOW Man - you did a nice job on that!
      Hope the lid seals right.
      Good Score.

Comment

Yeah the cheapo cleaned up nice. The lid seems to fit pretty well. He just wants to use it on the grill. I have one just like it I found several years ago. I use it for beans or casseroles on the grill. Works fine for that stuff. My Lodge DO is reserved for the firepit.
        S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

GOSM Propane
        New Braunfels Bandera
        UniFlame Gas Grill
        Lil Chief

Comment

Nice score, Ray. Good job on the seasoning.
          sigpic
          Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Price & seasoning....good job!
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Good job on that iron. You just can't find that stuff used around here anymore. Auctions used to be a good source, but I can't seem to find them there either.

Tom

Comment

gret job on the C. iron wear. I have some hidden away that I have not used in years except the kitchen skillets.
                your thread will come in handy when I break em out to use em soon as I get everything done to my new home.
                my lord, I thought retirement was about worryin if ya had enough olives to make a perfect martini and enough coal to fire up the grill and char somtin great ta eat.
                not happin yet..
                sigpicWal-Mart shopping cart undergoing heavy mods.
                nano second fast camo titanium splash proof thermo pen

need a larger spatula for early morning road kill removal.

As the venomous south American hissing skunk rat is growing fast and needs larger portions.

Comment

Thanks guys. The one in this thread is actually a 12". I know there is other ways, but this works so well for me I don't want to change for fear of screwing it up.

I've been trying to replace all my pans with CI. I Couldn't remember where I put this one. I did it tonight. A 2.99 8" No name. now I've got a 12", 10" and 8".

S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                  New Braunfels Bandera
                  UniFlame Gas Grill
                  Lil Chief

Comment

pissin me OFF RR...........damn what a nice job............

besided the inherent smoke from doing it in a oven, do you think thats possibe?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

Originally posted by Walking Dude View Post
                      pissin me OFF RR...........damn what a nice job............

besided the inherent smoke from doing it in a oven, do you think thats possibe?
                      Cajun1 posted a link in this thread. They talk about using Pam in the oven. Seems to have great results and no smoke. Check it out.

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2336
                      S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                      New Braunfels Bandera
                      UniFlame Gas Grill
                      Lil Chief

Comment

how you gettem that nice pretty blue color?

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

The hotter you get it, the darker it gets. And the Crisco. I don't know. I've done it this way about a dozen times. They've all come out like that.
                          S-M Misfit #16

GOSM Propane
                          New Braunfels Bandera
                          UniFlame Gas Grill
                          Lil Chief

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRay View Post
                            The hotter you get it, the darker it gets. And the Crisco. I don't know. I've done it this way about a dozen times. They've all come out like that.
                            but on a grill

Comment

Nice thread RR,
                              both came out really beautiful.. I have a DO looks just like that from a swapmeet and I was worried about seasoning it, but after this it is getting done! thanks!

The only one on the block with the super fastest turbo charged

Comment

Working...
                              X