No announcement yet.

Seasoning Cast Iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

certainly looks good - so what's crisco ?
    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
      certainly looks good - so what's crisco ?
      its a vegetable shortening.

I am going to try this weekend, if not, early next weekend to strip my cast iron, using the lye method, and then seasoning, using the low temp pam method..........pics to follow

let us not cry because we lost someone, but let us smile because we enjoyed their company for what time was allowed us!

Comment

You got yer side fire box steve, build a fire from hell in there an season in that. Grandpa did it over a big ol pile a hot oak coals, little ash never hurt a thin!
        sigpic

Comment

That's what my dad said his folks did. They used lard or bacon grease over a hot bed of coals. Bet you could do it in a weber or charcoal grill.

Steve's gonna shoot me, I just found this one yesterday. A 10 1/2" Lodge w/cover. I may have to give the lye bath a shot. This one is super sticky. It's been rubbed down with I believe vegetable oil. It smells racid, and there is some pitting on the bottom. The inside and lid don't look bad though.
          Attached Files
          S-M Misfit #16

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ~ Red Green

It's a shame stupidity isn't painful.

GOSM Propane
          CharGriller Kamado Cooker "The Akorn"
          New Braunfels Bandera
          UniFlame Gas Grill
          Lil Chief

Comment

Man...nice score! I have a bead blaster at work, so I can take it to bare metal then re-season with lard from Piggly Wiggly. You've done great with the re-season.
            Sunset Eagle Aviation
            https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Working...
            X