Smoked Salted peanuts in the shell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Salted peanuts in the shell

So in my travels on the various smoking forums I have seen this a few times where people claim smoking peanuts in the shell makes them better. I just had to try it myself.
    First I bought a bag of salted peanuts in the shell and threw them into the smoker with a full load of hickory from my tube smoker. It will go about 6-8 hours of smoke. Left the temp on my PID controller set to 90 degrees. After a full day of smoking I brought them inside. Very strong smoke smell coming from those suckers for sure. If I was still married I am sure it would have been another nail in my coffin just having them in the house. So I let them set over night and tried a few the next day. Hmmmm nothing special to me??? So I thought lets get my vac seal tumbler out and spice them up with a couple of bottles of hot sauce
    Two twenty minute sessions in the tumbler and back in the smoker for another three hours of smoke to dry them out. Not what I thought they be but ya....once you eat four or five you feel the heat coming on an there is a hint of smoke flavor, not as much as you would think but its there.

Here is the theory behind the vac seal tumbler: This is how they get salt into the shells.
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/03/h...ted-in-sh.html
    So I was hoping for the same affect with the hot sauce

Anybody else try to smoke salted peanuts in the shell? These ended up not to bad but a lot of work for a bag of peanuts

PBC Drum Smoker
    Bradley Digital 4 Rack
    THE BIG EASY INFRARED TURKEY FRYER
    Miss Piggy Smoker
    Sedona SD-9000 food dehydrator

I've never tried the peanut gig, but have had great luck with pistachios. Having the shells cracked open makes the difference, imo.
    sigpic
    New Braunfels Bandera
    New Braunfels Hondo
    4-22.5" Weber Kettles
    1-26" Weber Kettle
    24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
    Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

Ya i done the pistachios gig almost every Christmas for the last 7 years. To bad they cost so much because they are good.
      I had put the peanuts in a gal. zip lock bag and at the time they felt and looked dried out. I just opened them back up to snack on a few and they where damp/moist and the peanuts inside where DAM HOT. Still not much smoke flavor, which is mostly what I was going for. Just might give them another run through the smoker tomorrow if the weather is nice.

PBC Drum Smoker
      Bradley Digital 4 Rack
      Miss Piggy Smoker

Comment

Originally posted by devo View Post
        Ya i done the pistachios gig almost every Christmas for the last 7 years. To bad they cost so much because they are good.
        I've been getting them at Winco for less than $8.00 lb which isn't that bad
        sigpic
        New Braunfels Bandera
        New Braunfels Hondo
        4-22.5" Weber Kettles
        1-26" Weber Kettle
        24"X72" Reverse Flow-Made in the U.S.A. by me
        Navy Corpsman-'69-'73 Semper Fi

https://www.facebook.com/highrollersbbq/

Comment

I've smoked regular shelled salted peanuts and was very disappointed in the results. It seemed like the peanuts didn't pick up the smoke. I smoke mixed nuts all the time and they take smoke quite well. The peanuts were nearly impervious.

I never saw one of those vac tumblers before. Very cool way to get flavor into hard to get places!

Thanks for posting the link! High school physics class flashback, indeed.
          sigpic

Comment

hehehehe Winco??? come to Canada.... we don't have Winco here as far as I know. In my little town/township we have one store for food. If they don't have it I drive to a bigger/small town here in northern Ontario. They keep promising a Costco store in the bigger/small town but I am sure its still a few years away. I live in the middle of Canada....watch the weather channel and they pass right on by us. Hmmm Am I even here

PBC Drum Smoker
            Bradley Digital 4 Rack
            Miss Piggy Smoker

Comment

Working...
            X