New Label Mandated by USDA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Label Mandated by USDA

The USDA has mandated new labels on beef to note whether it was “mechanically tenderized.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/living/fo...#storylink=cpy
    Jim

This is a great reason to cook it SV as you get the benefits of pasteurization. Just sayin...
    Smoke it.. and they will come!

Rob
    Recipes & Smokes in HD Video
    SmokingPit.com

Yoder YS640
    Yoder Wichita
    Arizona BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale
    Camp Chef FTG600 Flat Top Griddle
    Blackstone 22" Flat Top Griddle

Comment

at first I was thinking "this is dumb, I'd rather know if it's chemically tenderized" but then I realized the point of them penetrating the meat and contaminating the interior with bacteria. So it's a good thing.
      Mike
      Life In Pit Row

Comment

Thanks for sharing this article!

Comment

Thanks for that info... I will not be buying mechanically tenderized meats... hopefully... And I ain't cooking me steaks to 145 dammit!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Yeah..this SHOULD be known. Typically it’s apparent. Or..used to be.. (Cubed steak)
            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
              Yeah..this SHOULD be known. Typically it’s apparent. Or..used to be.. (Cubed steak)
              They're not just talking about cubed type of steak which you can see.
              This tenderizering process is used on many cuts of steak and roasts. Think more along the lines of a home use Jaccard type of needle tenderizer.

From the article ...

And without a label, you can’t tell if you need to be especially careful your steak.

“It doesn’t look any different,” said a spokesperson for USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service. “It’s not filled with holes from the needle piercings.”

Mechanical tenderizing is not an unusual occurrence. FSIS estimates that 2.7 billion pounds or about 11 percent of the beef labeled for sale has been mechanically tenderized. The new labels will affect an estimated 6.2 billion servings of steaks and roasts every year, according to FSIS.
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by BYBBQ View Post
                They're not just talking about cubed type of steak which you can see.
                This tenderizering process is used on many cuts of steak and roasts. Think more along the lines of a home use Jaccard type of needle tenderizer.

From the article ...

And without a label, you can’t tell if you need to be especially careful your steak.

“It doesn’t look any different,” said a spokesperson for USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service. “It’s not filled with holes from the needle piercings.”

Mechanical tenderizing is not an unusual occurrence. FSIS estimates that 2.7 billion pounds or about 11 percent of the beef labeled for sale has been mechanically tenderized. The new labels will affect an estimated 6.2 billion servings of steaks and roasts every year, according to FSIS.
                A lot of cheaper sirloin and round steak cuts get this treatment, and you cannot see it!
                Mark
                sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
                Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

That's Great!!!

I definitely would like to know that.

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Jeez I m glad that they will label it accordingly...

But I rarely buy supermarket beef...
                    Craig
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X