My first build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome from another Kansas Q dude!
    sigpicYeah...that's right...I'm smokin'.

The GOOD ONE smoker grill
    Weber 22 1/2 Wannabe (aka WW)
    Weber 22 1/2 Silver One Touch
    Smokey Joe New model, Smokey Joe 1984 model
    fire pit in the yard
    10 & 12 Lodge DO,
    Maverick ET73, ET732.
    A-MAZE-N SMOKER 5x8, RED HOT Thermapen
    MES 40 Gen 2.5 electric smoker

Rick

Comment

got all the insulation removed (yes i forgot to take one of the outer shell after i did) and pulled the inner shell out. i got all the other junk removed and now just waiting for the rain to clear to pressure wash it.

what do you guys think of the interior shell? should i place another layer of stainless on it or go with what i got once i clean it?

also the inner shell was sittin on styrafoam spacers. to hold it off the bottom. what would be a good replacement?

i am going to install a angled piece in the bottom to force the dripping to a collection.
      Attached Files

Comment

Spoke with Dennis from smoke daddy Inc I'll be placing my order shortly. From his advice I'll be pacing the heat on the left, 6" afjustable air vent on the lower right and placing a 6" stack with a damper. My big question is how high can my stack be? It needs to either run outside through the wall or roof of the shed

Comment

Less bends is better than a shorter run. Out da roof if that’s your straight run. Don’t forget a rain hood.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I would personally look at alternatives to the smoke generator that you are looking at.

Depending on the temps you plan on smoking at I liked your original setup with the rack.

Are you thinking of using the whole thing for a smoker or half of it and the other half for storage?

Look at the amazing pellet tray versus the big kahuna.

What is your fuel source?

Comment

I just noticed that there is not a wall in the center.

You need to ask yourself if you are going to need all that space. You "may" be able to make two separate chambers

I would think about using an afterburner for a fuel source maybe on the left side, make a charcoal basket on the right side and exhaust out the back about half way down the back.

Look at some backwoods clones to see what I am thinking.

Welcome to smoked-meat. I love home builds!

Comment

I will be using the pellet hopper for heat/smoke along with an a-maz-n for extra smoke. We do a ton of meat processing/smoking in the winter. Anywhere from 25lbs-100lbs in sticks and logs every few days. I went big for a reason lol got tired of taking a week to finish up someone's order in my two masterbuilts smokers. Left will hold trays and right will be for hanging

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                  I would personally look at alternatives to the smoke generator that you are looking at.

Depending on the temps you plan on smoking at I liked your original setup with the rack.

Are you thinking of using the whole thing for a smoker or half of it and the other half for storage?

Look at the amazing pellet tray versus the big kahuna.

What is your fuel source?
                  The racks will be replaced I pulled them out to clean and remove stuff like the cooling radiator fan and light. The bottom left will also be removed and expanded to match the bottom right

Comment

love the double size.

Not clear on the flow path.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

[QUOTE=curious aardvark;625311]love the double size.

Not clear on the flow path.[/QUOTE

Yellow shows where I'm extending the box to, red is pellet pro, blue is my fresh air vent. Nothing has been cut yet so stuff can change. Where should the stack go?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wvuarmyeng View Post
                        I will be using the pellet hopper for heat/smoke along with an a-maz-n for extra smoke. We do a ton of meat processing/smoking in the winter. Anywhere from 25lbs-100lbs in sticks and logs every few days. I went big for a reason lol got tired of taking a week to finish up someone's order in my two masterbuilts smokers. Left will hold trays and right will be for hanging

Works for me

If that was the case I would put the exhaust smack dab in the middle of the back side

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                          Works for me

If that was the case I would put the exhaust smack dab in the middle of the back side
                          So would 6" stack work? What size air intake?

Comment

I am really not sure. I think 6 inch is way too big.

Just my opinion and this is why.

I think you are looking at the pellet hopper for heat and smoke ( I thought you were looking at the big kahuna) That unit has a fan to transfer heat and smoke to inside the unit. I am really not sure why you need any intake at all since you are "pumping" air in.

As far as exhaust it needs to be sized slightly larger than the air intake or how much air you are pumping in. The object is to keep thin blue smoke inside the cabinet but it needs to "move" or flow across the product.

There are some formulas for vertical cabinets out there, I will look for one but the whole air pump puts a different spin on it.

I don't think that I have seen any low temp cabinet smokers with a 6 inch intake and exhaust.

I am looking forward to learning on your build.

Comment

Thanks! Dennis mentioned the 6" after looking at pictures I sent him and said about adding the intake to keep air moving and keep the pellet unit cycling. Since its insulated he said you want more air flow to keep the fire going.

I don't think my buddy wants me cutting multiple holes in the new steel we just put on the shed lol

Comment

How many BTU's is that heater? The size of that box and is a lot of air to consume and haveing a 6 inch (I assume round) intake is also a lot of of air. If you put a 6 inch exhaust at the top of the unit i guess you can try to control temps at that point, but you will be fighting the PID on the burner.

Having a 6 inch all the way open would seem to exhaust heat and smoke at a very high rate.

Heck my 50K btu tube heater at my shop only has a 3 inch fresh air intake

My next build will be similar to BBQengineers, only I will have it adaptable for multi fuel, coal, propane and electric.

keep us posted on progress

Comment

Working...
                                X