Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground venison....mix or no mix

Looking for some opinions...

Teaching my oldest how to process his own deer and we will have about 6 lbs reserved for just grind.

His purpose is for burgers on the grill.

So for grilling should I add beef fat, pork fat, bacon or add nothing.

Ratio venison to trimming? Course grind or fine grind.

As most of mine ends up in sausage and if I grind for meat loaf or a fatty I do it on the fly

With our elk and deer we have always used 15-20% beef fat. Others have used pork fat and some a mix of pork butt and fat. Whatever you use, it should turn out great. Venison is too lean (dry) to use by itself.
    sigpic
    Smoke Vault 24

Comment

Originally posted by Bassman View Post
      With our elk and deer we have always used 15-20% beef fat. Others have used pork fat and some a mix of pork butt and fat. Whatever you use, it should turn out great. Venison is too lean (dry) to use by itself.
      I have tried the "healthy" mix in the past so my grind ends up in sausage.

His deer so we will make what ever he wants.

Also going to grind some scrap fro dog treats. I need to test out a grinding head anyway.

Comment

Over the last 50 years, I/We have tried all kinds of formulas, and the best ever we settled with about 10 years ago, and stuck with it ever since:
        50% Venison
        25% Beef (80-20)
        25% Pork (Butt)

Awesome-----The only way we prefer over Straight Beef.

Bear
        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Specifically for burgers on the grill go 1/3 bacon ends and pieces. Your local meat shop should have some if you don't.

I don't add anything to mine since I use it for everything and I like venison but for burgers that mix is hard to beat.
          Bored Guy Blog

Comment

sigpic

22’ kettle
            5 burner gas grill
            Anova
            Hobart Meat Grinder 4822 series
            F.Dick 12 Ltr. Sausage Stuffer

There's only two types of Beer: Cold and Free.
            _____
            Jim

Comment

My deer hunting buddies all grind with bacon for their burger meat. Its darn good too!
              z
              sigpic
              GMG Daniel Boone
              UDS
              Weber 22.5" Kettle (blk)
              Vision Kamado grill
              Weber Genesis Silver
              Smokin Tex
              MES 40 with legs Gen 2.5
              Maverick ET 732
              Brown and lime green ThermaPens
              2 orange ThermoPops
              A-Maze-N Tube 18"
              A-Maze-N Smoker 5"x8"
              Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                Over the last 50 years, I/We have tried all kinds of formulas, and the best ever we settled with about 10 years ago, and stuck with it ever since:
                50% Venison
                25% Beef (80-20)
                25% Pork (Butt)

Bear
                Never thought about adding 80/20....that will work for the fine binding. I think I have an untrimmed pork available I can cut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                  50% Venison
                  25% Beef (80-20)
                  25% Pork (Butt)

Bear
                  I was hoping to get a deer this year to try this, but it looks like it'll have to wait till next year. I've tried the bacon and we didn't care for it. It really over powered the venison.
                  sigpic

Comment

I use a package of Wright's Bacon Ends to my lean beef to make my gourmet burgers. end up with 80/20 ratio for best taste.

Comment

A SOLID second endorsement on this method. Da Bassman turned us onto this about 7 years ago and we like it better than straight beef burger.

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                        Never thought about adding 80/20....that will work for the fine binding. I think I have an untrimmed pork available I can cut up.

LOL---All of those Grilled Burgers I'm always posting, that I'm sure many are tired of seeing by now, have been made with my 50--25--25% Formula.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                          A SOLID second endorsement on this method. Da Bassman turned us onto this about 7 years ago and we like it better than straight beef burger.
                          Pretty much the same here. 10 to 20% depending on intended use.

Comment

Burgers on the grill is the intended purpose.

Comment

Working...
                            X