Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck recipes?

Gday all,

Duck season opens up in four weeks and was just wanting to see if anyone had some recipes to try?

Normally just roast or braise them but want to do something different.

I'm thinking of trying some duck breast poppers and maybe some jerky. Any recipes for these or other things would be great!

Some pics from last year's opening.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have only used duck breast for jerky...Any recipe that works for beef will be great for duck...

Oh wait...I made some smoked duck chili a few times that was top notch...
    I'll try to find the link but photophuckit stole the pics

Kinda loses something without pics but you may be able to figure it out...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30996
    Last edited by SMOKE FREAK; 02-15-2018, 06:43 PM.
    Craig
    sigpic

Comment

I have a good friend that grinds duck and geese then shoots it though a jerky shooter. Great Stuff
      Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crusty ol salt View Post
        I have a good friend that grinds duck and geese then shoots it though a jerky shooter. Great Stuff
        So do I...Excellent jerky...

And I have had some goose snack sticks that were very good...Cant see how duck wouldn't be as great...
        Craig
        sigpic

Comment

I've tried ground jerky but have never got it to stay together or have that good jerky consistency.

I will try it though.

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKE FREAK View Post
            I have only used duck breast for jerky...Any recipe that works for beef will be great for duck...

Oh wait...I made some smoked duck chili a few times that was top notch...
            I'll try to find the link but photophuckit stole the pics

Kinda loses something without pics but you may be able to figure it out...

http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30996
            Smoked duck chili sounds delicious will have to give that one a go.

Comment

Originally posted by GSPhunter_21! View Post
              Smoked duck chili sounds delicious will have to give that one a go.

I think you'll like it...
              Craig
              sigpic

Comment

I love to hunt, but do not pursue that game... Not worth my time, I do see you have a Chocolate in the pic, Is it yours?? Points on the plated pic as well..
                Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
                  I love to hunt, but do not pursue that game... Not worth my time, I do see you have a Chocolate in the pic, Is it yours?? Points on the plated pic as well..
                  Certainly is mine, she's a gsp though. Over here we use them mostly for hunting big game moreso than birds. One in a million that pooch!

Comment

A few years ago a friend did blackened duck breast at hunting camp. They were awesome. He split them to make thinner, and used blackening seasoning blend and butter in a cast iron skillet. The heat wasn't screaming hot, I guess it would be called bronzing by Cajuns, or sautéing perhaps.
                    Another way I have had them is marinated in Italian dressing, them wrapped in bacon and grilled. Delicious as well.

Comment

Your plated pic looks awesome! I have only had Duck jerky, and Duck in stew, both were good. Maybe Tacos? Enchiladas? Ground, or chopped up finely and stuffed in Jalapeño with cheese, bacon wrapped and smoked? As mentioned, marinade and cut into chunks and skewer Kebob style with other vegetables and fruits (Pineapple?) Just thinking oot loud here.
                      sigpic

Comment

problem with wild ducks is that there just isn't that much meat on them.

But if your're shooting them in large quantities you can afford to just leg and breast them
                        Plenty recipes for duck breats and the legs braise a treat.

Now canada goose on the other hand, is my favourite game bird. The breast tend to be in the 10-16oz weight range which is a decent sized piece of meat. The legs are also a decent size.
                        I cook a lot with gooses breast - when I can get it.
                        The legs need a long slow smoke or braise.
                        You have to remember water fowl tend to do more walking and swimming than flying. So the breast is nowhere near as tough as the legs.

They braise well, make a great ground meat, I split them, tenderise (bash the living hell out of them with a hammer) and make schnitzel, After bashing also make a great frying steak. I've used it in game pies, pasties etc.
                        Just one of my favourite game meats.

Yeah with the wild duck, if you have a lot then just breast and leg. The breast you can use for almost anything. legs could be wrapped in bacon and smoked for at least 4 hours. They do take some tenderising :-)

So really it depends how you go about harvesting the meat from the dead ducks.
                        Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                        Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Some great ideas thanks guys, will definitely try some of these.

If I had the opportunity to hunt geese I'd be doing it! Don't get any here unfortunately.

Comment

Nice shootin'!
                            I make a lot of smoked duck gumbo. It's one of my favorites.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...duck-skin.html

jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

I’ve heard the Poultry Brine I produce is good on waterfowl. I’ve only used it on upland game, but some folk out Dakota way like it for goose. BBQ’s Plus carries it Down Under.
                              In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                              Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                              Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Working...
                              X