Very Rough Jerky Smoker Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DDave View Post
    Interesting . . . looks like my original 4" spacing design is not that far out of whack then. As long as I leave some gaps between the pieces of meat there should be good airflow?

Dave
    My "guess" would be you could fit a few more racks in that frame size. No expert by any means, but I would think if it was more or less a designated fish/jerky smoker, you could get by with 3" or maybe a little less and still get good air flow, as long as your top vents allow for it The Big/Little Chief basic design has been around forever, and it is WA law that every 10th home in the state must have one of the two. They just work withoot messing with them. Kinda like Apple products
    sigpic

Comment

No apology necessary, Jim. Just pointing that the spec doesn't necessarily apply to smoking jerky.

Dave
      On the thought of 50 pounds of meat inside a Big Chief, that may be true with certain cuts, placed just right, but from what I have used mine for and others that have them, its not typical at all. I would guess I may have got 15-20 pounds of fish in mine at one time, and those would be thick steaks/filets.

Another thought if you want to possibly double the volume of smoking area is potentially place a wood block on top of the racks, maybe a 1.5" chunk, and place a second rack of jerky on top of that? May potentially slow down the air flow, and perhaps take a little longer to finish, but may be able to double your capacity? Dunno, just thinking out loud
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Fishawn View Post
        The Big/Little Chief basic design has been around forever, and it is WA law that every 10th home in the state must have one of the two. They just work withoot messing with them.
        It does look like a good design which is why I'm copying it. It just doesn't have enough capacity for my needs. I like doing jerky in 5 pound multiples since it works nicely with the MH and Owens jerky seasoning mixes.

Looks like there is some sort of deflector plate above the heating element in the picture. Can you tell me how far from the bottom rack that is? And how far from the bottom of the smoker? Also, how high from the bottom of the base is the element?

Another thought if you want to possibly double the volume of smoking area is potentially place a wood block on top of the racks, maybe a 1.5" chunk, and place a second rack of jerky on top of that? May potentially slow down the air flow, and perhaps take a little longer to finish, but may be able to double your capacity? Dunno, just thinking out loud
        I already have to do that to just get 5 pounds on the SnP.

Sometimes there is still some leftover. Hopefully this will alleviate that problem.

Dave
        CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
        UDS 1.0
        Afterburner
        Weber Performer
        Blue Thermapen
        Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
        Auber Smoker Controller
        Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
        -
        "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

It does look like a good design which is why I'm copying it. It just doesn't have enough capacity for my needs. I like doing jerky in 5 pound multiples since it works nicely with the MH and Owens jerky seasoning mixes.

Looks like there is some sort of deflector plate above the heating element in the picture. Can you tell me how far from the bottom rack that is? And how far from the bottom of the smoker? Also, how high from the bottom of the base is the element?

I already have to do that to just get 5 pounds on the SnP.

Sometimes there is still some leftover. Hopefully this will alleviate that problem.

Dave
          Yes, there is a deflector plate (aluminum). Note: Body materials are all aluminum/metal. Wood body materials would most likely require different spacing. I know you know that Dave, just putting it oot there for all.

- The deflector plate is 2.5" below the bottom rack.
          - The deflector plate is 6" from the base/bottom of the smoker.
          - From the base to the element is 2.25".
          - From the element to the bottom rack is 6".

Another observation..... The Big Chief is not all that "Big". It is 24" tall..... 12" deep..... 18" wide.
          Last edited by Fishawn; 10-24-2015, 09:30 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Yes, there is a deflector plate (aluminum). Note: Body materials are all aluminum/metal. Wood body materials would most likely require different spacing. I know you know that Dave, just putting it oot there for all.

- The deflector plate is 2.5" below the bottom rack.
            - The deflector plate is 6" from the base/bottom of the smoker.
            - From the base to the element is 2.25".
            - From the element to the bottom rack is 6".

Another observation..... The Big Chief is not all that "Big". It is 24" tall..... 12" deep..... 18" wide.
            Many thanks for getting those measurements, Scott. Much appreciated.

The current plan is to use a hot plate such as the one pictured below . . .

plugged into this controller which has a 1500 Watt rating.

Below the bottom rack there will be an expanded metal shelf to set a deflector plate/drip pan on. That will let me experiment with different sizes to help distribute heat to the sides of the cabinet.

The bottom will likely be left open but be on casters. This will allow plenty of airflow in the bottom and provide a non-flammable base (cement) or an expanded metal stand for the hot plate to sit on.

Here is an updated design.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

Dave
            UDS 1.0
            Afterburner
            Weber Performer
            Blue Thermapen
            Thermoworks Chef Alarm
            Auber Smoker Controller
            -

Comment

Looks good to me..... No expert, butt are fans needed?

Just curious, what is the proposed depth?
              sigpic

Comment

Looks good to me.....
                Thank you.

No expert,
                Trust me . . . me neither.

butt are fans needed?
                I think a couple of small fans running at slow speed will definitely help move the moisture out of the box. Kind of like a small dry kiln.

Thinking of something like this depending on how fast they run. Just something to move the air -- not suck the heat out of the box.

Thinking one of those USB phone charger cubes ought to power it.

Just curious, what is the proposed depth?
                Racks will be 18" deep.

Dave
                UDS 1.0
                Afterburner
                Weber Performer
                Blue Thermapen
                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                Auber Smoker Controller
                -

Comment

Thank you.

Trust me . . . me neither.

I think a couple of small fans running at slow speed will definitely help move the moisture out of the box. Kind of like a small dry kiln.

Thinking of something like this depending on how fast they run. Just something to move the air -- not suck the heat out of the box.

Thinking one of those USB phone charger cubes ought to power it.

Racks will be 18" deep.

Dave
                  Like it Dave..... Never thought aboot a USB charger cube on a small fan..... Think you got an idea working that should work IMO
                  sigpic

Comment

What kind of wood are you thinking about?

I am leary of some of the glue that they use in plywood.

I have a food tranport cart and an food warmer that are in line to bebecome cold/jerky smokers

Picked them up pretty cheap.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by nickelmore View Post
                      What kind of wood are you thinking about?

I am leary of some of the glue that they use in plywood.
                      That was going to be my next question.

Something like this maybe??

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia-...3185/100020218

Thoughts?

Dave
                      UDS 1.0
                      Afterburner
                      Weber Performer
                      Blue Thermapen
                      Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                      Auber Smoker Controller
                      -

Comment

That was going to be my next question.

Something like this maybe??

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Columbia-...3185/100020218

Thoughts?

Dave

As far as I know, All Plywoods & Flakeboard & Particle Board have bad stuff in them.
                        New Shelter had in some of their books that new homes should not be moved into for 6 months, and the houses should be ventilated during that time to vent the fumes from the adhesives used in Plywoods & Particle Board & MDF. (Not that anybody wood actually do that).

If that one has nothing bad in it, it must have come out since I closed my Cabinet Shop, because none of my Plywood Salesmen ever mentioned it.

Bear
                        Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                        Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                          As far as I know, All Plywoods & Flakeboard & Particle Board have bad stuff in them.
                          New Shelter had in some of their books that new homes should not be moved into for 6 months, and the houses should be ventilated during that time to vent the fumes from the adhesives used in Plywoods & Particle Board & MDF. (Not that anybody wood actually do that).

If that one has nothing bad in it, it must have come out since I closed my Cabinet Shop, because none of my Plywood Salesmen ever mentioned it.
                          I'm sure it has the same stuff in the glues as whatever you were using when you were building cabinets. But the "good" side would be the inside of the smoker.

Curious if a few dry runs would take care of it. I know back in my old dry kiln operator days we would take Ponderosa pine to 165° to set the pitch. Wonder if a couple of runs up to 165° or even 180° with the fans running would take care of any potential off-gassing of the glue?

Ken made his out of pine and lined it with 24 gauge sheet metal. I suppose I could look into that.

Dave
                          UDS 1.0
                          Afterburner
                          Weber Performer
                          Blue Thermapen
                          Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                          Auber Smoker Controller
                          -

Comment

I'm sure it has the same stuff in the glues as whatever you were using when you were building cabinets. But the "good" side would be the inside of the smoker.

Curious if a few dry runs would take care of it. I know back in my old dry kiln operator days we would take Ponderosa pine to 165° to set the pitch. Wonder if a couple of runs up to 165° or even 180° with the fans running would take care of any potential off-gassing of the glue?

Ken made his out of pine and lined it with 24 gauge sheet metal. I suppose I could look into that.

Dave

You're probably right about gassing off after a few runs, but you'd probably be better off using Pine & sheet metal like Ken did.

The only thing I know about kilning is the Hardwood boards I bought were LANRO among others, and they were kilned down to 6% moisture content, and then steamed back to 8%.

Bear
                            Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                            Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

A lot of them around here are built with Cedar, and a lot of them have burned down

My FIL had one burn down, and wifes uncle also.... On Thanksgiving day, with a Turkey inside it's on video.... Pretty dang funny, the commentary

Slanted88 has his name in the books also
                              sigpic

Comment

A lot of them around here are built with Cedar, and a lot of them have burned down

My FIL had one burn down, and wifes uncle also.... On Thanksgiving day, with a Turkey inside it's on video.... Pretty dang funny, the commentary

Slanted88 has his name in the books also
                                Yep, that's why I'm thinking open bottom, drip pan to keep grease off of the element, and low temp cooking only -- 160° to 180° tops.

But even at that it will only be used on a cement slab AWAY from the house just in case.

Dave
                                UDS 1.0
                                Afterburner
                                Weber Performer
                                Blue Thermapen
                                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                                Auber Smoker Controller
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X