UDS question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonasfoster82 View Post
    Looks like a great place to start... good luck with your build!

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

I would not burn it. It will trash the nice paint job and there is no need to burn it. Just wipe it out & do a smoke with no meat in it to get it going right. That is what I did with mine.
      MES 30"
      A-Maze-N pellet smoker
      Weber 22" kettle
      E-Z-Que rotisserie
      Weber Smokey Joe
      Big Weber Gasser
      Cracker Smoker
      UDS

Comment

Originally posted by L20A View Post
        I would not burn it. It will trash the nice paint job and there is no need to burn it. Just wipe it out & do a smoke with no meat in it to get it going right. That is what I did with mine.
        I'm repainting the outside with high temp primer and I got 2 cans of high temp copper Paint. Hopefully it looks good. That's why I want to strip or burn the outside Paint off. I will probly just season the inside rather than do a pallet burn.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm repainting the outside with high temp primer and I got 2 cans of high temp copper Paint. Hopefully it looks good. That's why I want to strip or burn the outside Paint off. I will probly just season the inside rather than do a pallet burn.
          If it’s coated inside, you’ll probably need to wire brush it if you burn the outside. Just saying.
          In God I trust- All others pay cash...
          Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
          Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post
            If it’s coated inside, you’ll probably need to wire brush it if you burn the outside. Just saying.
            If it's coated with what?? It appears that there's no liner in it, just coated with leftover coconut oil.

Drilled my holes earlier. All 3 of my 3/4" inlet holes were perfect fit, the nipples threaded in perfectly. My OCD got the best of me and I went to clean the burrs off on the inside of the drum with the step bit... well the bit grabbed just a hair too much and now the nipples are loose... just my luck. Luckily, my neighbor acrossed the street is gonna weld them in place for me tomorrow. After that is done I will be putting the wire brush to the drum and prepping for primer and paint... CAN'T WAIT!!!

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. Have your buddy just tack them in place. It don't take much. And be careful because some of the drums are pretty thin and you can blow a hole in it pretty easy.

If it's coated with what?? It appears that there's no liner in it, just coated with leftover coconut oil.
              I think what Rich was referring to is if you burn the outside with a weed burner and the inside was coated even with coconut oil, it may char up and wire wheeling the inside might not hurt to clean it up a bit. But if you are just wire wheeling the outside and there's no rust then there is no need to wire wheel the inside either.

Good luck and post some pics.
              CUHS Metal Shop Reverse Flow
              UDS 1.0
              Afterburner
              Weber Performer
              Blue Thermapen
              Thermoworks Smoke with Gateway
              Thermoworks Chef Alarm
              Auber Smoker Controller
              Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88
              -
              "All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010

Comment

Welcome Aboard, glad you dropped in

I built my first UDS and just about wore out the sticky thread posted here
                http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Good Luck and post pictures
                Island of Misfit Smokers Member #92

How to heal the world. Love people and feed them tasty food.

sigpic

Comment

Thanks alot for the advice. I will get to drilling on it later on today. Probly will just wire brush the outside to strip the paint. I bought some High heat primer. Along with 2 cans of flat black high heat Paint as well. Excited to get going on this project.

Use your high heat paint if you want to, but it's not necessary. You'll be cooking low and slow, so no need for special paint. I use good ol Rustolleum. Good luck! Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  sigpic
                  "Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
                  Tom, smoker of meats and fine cigars
                  UDS, Viking grill

Comment

Originally posted by Tomshoots View Post
                    Use your high heat paint if you want to, but it's not necessary. You'll be cooking low and slow, so no need for special paint. I use good ol Rustolleum. Good luck! Can't wait!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Maybe I will return the high heat Paint and get some regular rustoleum to save a few $$

Comment

What thermometer is everyone using? Anything decent at home cheapo or bLowes?!

Comment

Originally posted by Tomshoots View Post
                        Use your high heat paint if you want to, but it's not necessary. You'll be cooking low and slow, so no need for special paint. I use good ol Rustolleum.
                        A UDS can have quite a temperature range depending on how you light it. While it is true that they don't get too warm when cooking low and slow, I very often use mine for chicken or tri tip where I'm cooking at 350° to 375°+. I don't know that this requires high heat paint but depending on what your plans are, it might not be a bad idea.

What thermometer is everyone using? Anything decent at home cheapo or bLowes?!
                        I used a Tel-Tru in mine. Not the cheapest but one of the best.

As far as home cheapo or bLowes is concerned . . . well, you get what you pay for.

I prefer not to trust $30 or $40 (or more) of meat to a $10 thermometer.
                        UDS 1.0
                        Afterburner
                        Weber Performer
                        Blue Thermapen
                        Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                        Auber Smoker Controller
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by DDave View Post

As far as home cheapo or bLowes is concerned . . . well, you get what you pay for.

I prefer not to trust $30 or $40 (or more) of meat to a $10 thermometer.
                          X2. Spend the money up front. Tel-Tru is the best IMHO.

Drinks well with others

~ P4 ~

Comment

Originally posted by HawgHeaven View Post
                            X2. Spend the money up front. Tel-Tru is the best IMHO.
                            YEah get a tel-tru, and in a long stem version. You need to be out in the center of the grate. Might as well mount it just BELOW your main grate so it’s not in the way of food placement and grate removal usually.
                            In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                            Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                            Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

YEah get a tel-tru, and in a long stem version. You need to be out in the center of the grate. Might as well mount it just BELOW your main grate so it’s not in the way of food placement and grate removal usually.
                              This was my exact plan. Or running a maverick ET-732

Comment

A 4" stem is about as long as you can go with a fixed one or it will be in the way of getting the charcoal basket in and out.

Unless you do something like this.
                                http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3732
                                UDS 1.0
                                Afterburner
                                Weber Performer
                                Blue Thermapen
                                Thermoworks Chef Alarm
                                Auber Smoker Controller
                                -

Comment

Working...
                                X