Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulled smoked/SV chuck roast

Hi Y'all,

I've been experimenting with smoking and SV together and this one had the best smoke flavor yet. In the past, my complaints were not enough smoke flavor and a lack of bark. This one came out much better on both counts.

Started with 2 small chuck roasts. I trimmed the exposed fat off without cutting into them as best I could without totally dismembering them

Couldn't edit out the double pics after posting, sorry

Seasoned them with JAB, Garlic, Onion powder, Lemon powder, Salt and CBP. Then smoked them with hickory pellets in the Yoder and the Amazin Tube for 5 hours @ 225.

Next I used the Searzall to put a good char on them to try to get a decent bark.

Into the water bath for 21 hours @140.

They came out good and tender, but not ready to pull, so we did a few slices for Sunday dinner. It had a great flavor, was very tender and had a decent bark too. But the original goal was Pulled beef. SOOOOO, the rest went back in the water bath overnight @175 degrees. I saved the juice, put it in the fridge to solidify & remove the fat.

Next morning I took them out and they pulled just like expected. Heated the gelled liquid gold and it made a great finishing sauce.

Should have taken some more pics, but oh well. I'm learning more all the time with the spa treatment for me food. This one was a BIG step in the right direction. The sliced Chucky had a good bark from the searzall that still stayed pretty crisp even after SVing. The Hickory flavor was really apparent and the meat was very tender & juicy. It was a hit with the usual family taste testers, but as we all know, it takes a lot to satisfy the S-M bunch (me included), and I'm sure I can do even better after this experiment.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Otis857; 01-25-2018, 09:21 AM. Reason: Captions out of sequence
    Mike
    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

PCa Sucks - But I WILL, No DID beat this!!

Yoder YS640
    POS ChinaMasterbuilt XL (demoted to cold smoking duty)
    Bull Big Bahanga gas grill

Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most!

Great post, and thanks for sharing Mike! Nice to have a reference post to refer to for different SV cooks and smokes. That pulled beef wants me to start some right now
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Fish . I'm trying to get a good mix of SV and smoke on a lot of my cooks lately. This is the closest I have come so far to getting a good balance. Thanks for the points too. But it looks like I have to do some editing on my captions. They got out of sequence. (operator error)
      Mike
      Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Originally posted by Otis857 View Post
        Thanks for the kind words, Fish . I'm trying to get a good mix of SV and smoke on a lot of my cooks lately. This is the closest I have come so far to getting a good balance. Thanks for the points too. But it looks like I have to do some editing on my captions. They got out of sequence. (operator error)
        oops hehehe..umm..well...I fixed the pix and prolly muffed up the order. Sorry.

OK So... when you upload your attachments you see them listed in the upload window. Right click..I think..and “copy image location” and then click on the little “landscape” icon in the edit bar. Past that link in there and BAM! Full sized pix where ya want them.
        In God I trust- All others pay cash...
        Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
        Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Thanks Rich, I was going to ask you about that.
          Mike
          Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

That's some good looking pulled beef.

Comment

Looks delicious, Mike!
              jeanie

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/

Comment

i like that!
                Sunset Eagle Aviation
                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunse...888015?fref=ts <... We sure could use some likes!

Comment

Nice Job, Mike!!

And Great Post !!---

I might be trying that one day, but we're both so hooked on the Med-Rare Chucks I've been making.
                  Anyway now I know where to look for some Great Pulled Beef!!!

Bear
                  Vietnam Vet---9th Inf. Div. Mekong Delta (1969)
                  Easy to follow Step By Steps: Pulled Cured Boston Butt Ham and Buckboard Bacon--Smoked Salmon-- Bacon-On-A-Stick--Bacon (Extra Smokey)--Boneless Cured & Smoked Pork Chops & CB--Canadian Bacon & Dried Beef--Ham Twins (Double Smoked)--Double Smoked Hams X 4--Bear Logs (All Beef--Unstuffed)--Smoked Bear Loaf (All Beef-Mild Hot)--Prime Rib (My Best ever)--Another Prime Rib--Chucky (Pulled Beef)--Twin Chuckies--Pork and Beef Spares--Rare Beef (for Sammies)--Raspberry Chiffon Pie---

Mom & 4 Cub litter---Potter County, PA:

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcarver View Post
                    Nice Job, Mike!!

And Great Post !!---

I might be trying that one day, but we're both so hooked on the Med-Rare Chucks I've been making.
                    Anyway now I know where to look for some Great Pulled Beef!!!

Bear
                    Thanks John, the sliced Chuck was excellent too. But I had the original goal of doing Pulled beef for some sammichs.

Thanks everyone. This one turned out good and I'm getting a handle on how to get a good smoke flavor and bark while also using the Sous Vide to get the tenderness and increased time flexibility. The stronger flavor woods like Hickory & Mesquite are not overpowering like they can be when cooked entirely in the smoker. And I was surprised how well the Searzall made a bark that didnt get soft after the SV treatment. Maybe not as thick as a good all smoked bark, but plenty adequate for us Desert Dogs out he'are in the scrubland.
                    Mike
                    Proud to be I.B.E.W.

Yoder YS640

Comment

Working...
                    X