Main Menu
Module Jump:
Active Threads
0 Cold Weather Thanksgiving Turkey [emoji884] Smoke
Last Post: Abelman
Posted On: 11-23-2017
Replies: 2
Views: 28
0 What are You Thankful For on This Thanksgiving?
Last Post: Abelman
Posted On: 11-23-2017
Replies: 12
Views: 101
0 Mad Hunky Hot Whang Jerky
Last Post: DDave
Posted On: 11-22-2017
Replies: 12
Views: 152
0 Blog by foosball player
Last Post: Mark R
Replies: 15
Views: 194
0 2017 T-Bird Project!
Last Post: SMOKE FREAK
Replies: 13
Views: 176
More...
Mini Stats
Members 7,423 Entries 1
Members Entries
Threads 42,883 Reviews 1
Threads Reviews
Posts 642,984 Polls 37
Posts Polls
Content 0 Files 2
Content Files
Links 0 Ads 1
Links Ads
More...
Old 08-05-2017, 09:41 PM
Meat Mopper

Location: Originally from Dublin,Ireland but now transplanted in Barrie,Ontario
Ronan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher
Default Couple of Questions on how to cold smoke cheese.

I got myself a little gift of an a-maze-n 12" tube and i want to smoke some cheese.I bought myself a couple of 450g bricks of cheese(not very thick,maybe 3/4"-1" thick) which i will cut down into 4"x4" blocks( mature cheddar,marble ,mild cheddar and monterry jack with jalepeno .

My first question would be how to long to smoke them for?

My second question is has anybody ever used a kamado as a cold smoker(i have a heat deflector bowl which i can load with ice)?Or would i be better using my pellet grill(im worried about no airflow when its not turned on with the fan)

#ADS  
 is online
Smoked-Meat Ads

Old 08-05-2017, 10:06 PM
I got nothin

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

Use the Kamado...Airflow is important with your tube smoker...
Skip the water...Humidity is not your friend when smoking cheese...
As for time...I rarely go for more than an hour...I still like to taste the cheese...Others smoke for much longer...BUT...I have never used an amazin smoker of any kind for cold smoking so my advise on time may not apply...
Old 08-05-2017, 10:20 PM
Pit Masters Assistant

Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All
Jailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To AllJailer Is  A Name Known To All

Nope Smoke Freak you're right on the money. I've found as well that much more than an hour to 90 minutes leaves you with a bitter tasting end product.

Follow Smoke Freaks advice and go from there. This will give you a good tasting cheese and if you feel you need to add more smoke next time adjust from there.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Rub Mixer

strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All
strength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To Allstrength_and_power Is  A Name Known To All

Depending on the ambient temp, you may want to add ice to keep the temps down as the smoke tube even smoldering is going to add heat to some degree.
You may consider pulling some after an hour, then take some more off after two hours etc. Mark the bags 1,2 etc so you can figure out what your flavor preference is.
There is one part of cold smoking cheese that is very hard to do. Once smoked, it is advised to vacuum seal the cheese and let it sit in the fridge for 2 weeks or so to let the smoke flavor mellow and also permeate the cheese to the core. That's the hardest part for sure. Rich may argue the hardest part is not turning the block into goo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2017, 12:05 AM
Pit Master

nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All
nickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To Allnickelmore Is  A Name Known To All

I thought there was a sticky around here on how NOT to smoke cheese......

All great advice above.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:07 AM
Hunky Thanksgiving... 🦃

THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All
THE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To AllTHE ICEMAN Is  A Name Known To All

I like a good long smoke on mine, aboot 6 hours. I've never had a problem with the cheese tasting too bitter. Once again, good airflow is the key. The only time of year I can do it here in Az is the winter when it actually cools off around here.
Once the smoke is done, do like S&P suggested & vac seal those babies & don't touch them for a couple weeks.
Weber Smokey Joe

Not to mention the occasional campfire

🦃 Happy Thanksgiving 🦃

NRA Patron Life Member

"We old folks have to find our cushions and pillows in our tankards. Strong beer is the milk of the old."
-Martin Luther-

Old 08-06-2017, 04:10 AM
Meat Mopper

Ronan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling TeacherRonan Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling Teacher

Dont have a vacuum seal.I was thinking of either plastic wrapping them,or in a ziplock bag or some over websites were saying wrap in parchment paper to let the cheese breath.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Learning from the Best

DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All
DDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To AllDDave Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
Dont have a vacuum seal.I was thinking of either plastic wrapping them,or in a ziplock bag or some over websites were saying wrap in parchment paper to let the cheese breath.
Zip loc bag will work.

That's what I did before I got my vacuum sealer.
Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen
Auber Smoker Controller
Proud Smoked-Meat Member #88

-

"All welcome, take what ya need, share what ya know. " -- Richtee, 12/2/2010
Old 08-06-2017, 02:50 PM
I got nothin

SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All
SMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To AllSMOKE FREAK Is  A Name Known To All

If you're going with the ziplock I think you should also wrap it in the clingwrap to keep air away from it...Air is what will let it mold...
Old 08-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Meat Mopper

Thanks guys.I wrapped them in clingwrap and put them in ziplock bags and sucked as much air out as i could with a straw.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:34 PM
Rub Mixer

Fender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling GodFender60 Is Becoming A Smoking & Grilling God

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelmore View Post

All great advice above.

Yeah, even an avatar to show the aftermath. LOL

USAF 1982-2008 Desert Storm Vet
American Legion Riders
Patriot Guard Riders
Old 08-07-2017, 01:38 PM
The Mad Hunky!

Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All
Richtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To AllRichtee Is  A Name Known To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelmore View Post

All great advice above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender60 View Post

Yeah, even an avatar to show the aftermath. LOL
Yer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Smoked-Meat Forums > Cheese

Tags
cheddar, cheese, kamado, smoked