Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Antelope Sausage

Hey all,
    I'm looking for a good, tried and true recipe for a breakfast or Italian type sausage using antelope. Was thinking a 50/50 w pork mix...but then again, maybe that needs to be adjusted.

Have a friend who wants to make it. Was there when he harvested it, so I do know it was taken care of and good clean meat. I just have never messed with it, so seeking the knowledge of you O'h Wise Ones!

Thanks!

Sorry I can’t help Walle - I only made jalapeno & cheese SS and jerky with my speed goats. I’ll be watching this thread to see what you come up keep posted on the results!
    ~ George Burns

sigpic

Comment

Checkered Past’s Ital mix is solid... tried an’ true many times by many :{)

I don’t even bother making a mix any more.
      In God I trust- All others pay cash...
      Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
      Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

I've never had antelope...but I saw a Jackalope once!

I can't see why it would be much different than elk or venison, I would treat it the same.

Be watchin!!
        Mark
        sigpic

"Likes smokey old pool rooms, clear mountain mornins. Little warm puppies, children and girls of the night"?
        Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head!

Comment

Poking around online I found these, I cannot say any of them are tried and true but they do look good..

Antelope Longaniza Sausage

I am putting this sausage in the Venison category because I think it fits best here, but I initially made this Spanish-style sausage with goat meat. Naturally, the closest analog to goat in the wild game world is antelope, but I would happily make this paprika-heavy fresh sausage with venison or even wild boar or pork.

These links are dominated by the flavors of paprika and rosemary, with a little undercurrent of allspice and onion. You could use shallots in place of the green onion, and if you wanted to you could add a little garlic — but not too much, as these are not supposed to be garlicky sausages.

And resist the urge to use hot paprika: Longaniza are not hot sausages. What separates these sausages from other kinds are paprika, allspice (or cinnamon and anise), and vinegar. Those are “musts.”

Makes 5 pounds of sausages

3 1/2 pounds antelope or venison
          1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder
          35 grams kosher salt
          3 minced green onions
          25 grams chopped fresh rosemary
          12 grams cracked black pepper
          4 grams ground allspice
          40 grams sweet paprika
          1/4 cup red wine vinegar
          3/4 cup red wine
          Hog casings (ask at a local butcher shop)

Start by reading my basic sausage-making instructions, which are hosted on my friend Elise’s site Simply Recipes.

• Chill the meat until it is almost frozen by putting it in the freezer for an hour or so.

• Take out some hog casings and set in a bowl of very warm water.

• Chop meat (and pork fat, if using) into 1 inch chunks.

• Take out half the black pepper. Why? You’ll want to add them right before you do that final mix. This keeps the spices larger, altering the sausage’s texture, making eating it more interesting.

• Combine the salt, the rest of the pepper, herbs, spices and green onions with the meat, mix well with your hands and let it rest in the fridge for about an hour.

• Grind through your meat grinder (you can use a food processor in a pinch, but you will not get a fine texture) using the coarse die. If your room is warmer than 69 degrees, set the bowl for the ground meat into another bowl of ice to keep it cold.

• Put the mixture back in the freezer for another 30 minutes and then grind again with the fine die on the meat grinder. This will give you a more refined texture and will minimize any gristly bits.

• Add the rest of the black pepper, the wine and vinegar, then mix thoroughly either using a Kitchenaid on low for 60-90 seconds or with your (very clean) hands. This is important to get the sausage to bind properly. Once it is mixed well, put it back in the fridge.

• Stuff the sausage into the casings. Twist off links by pinching the sausage down and twisting it, first in one direction, and then with the next link, the other direction. Or you could tie them off with butcher’s string.

• Hang the sausages in a cool place for up to 4 hours (the colder it is, the longer you can hang them). If it is warm out, hang for one hour. Once they have dried a bit, put in the fridge until needed. They will keep for at least a week in the fridge.

• If you are freezing the sausages, wait a day before doing so. This will tighten up the sausages and help them keep their shape in the deep-freeze.

Antelope Maple Breakfast Sausage
          4 lbs venison or other game meat
          1 lbs pork fat
          40 grams kosher salt
          1 large finely diced shallot
          1 1/2 tsp white pepper
          2 tsp rubbed sage
          1/2 a nutmeg, freshly grated
          2 tsp dried thyme
          1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
          1/2 tsp chipotle powder
          1/4 cup white wine
          1/2 cup maple syrup
          Grind the meat and fat according to your grinders instructions, then mix in all the other ingredients. Mix by hand or in a mixer. I prefer to leave it in bulk and make patties but you could case this into sheep casings to make breakfast links.

Ken

I Should Have Been Rich Instead Of Being So Good Looking

Comment

Originally posted by Richtee View Post

Agree with this It's Ootstanding

Ken's post looks good too

I have only had antelope grilled, and lightly floured and seasoned and fried in a CI skillet in butter. Both were great.
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks Rich! PM sent to CP to see what the deal-e-o is.

Originally posted by Texas-Hunter View Post
              Poking around online I found these, I cannot say any of them are tried and true but they do look good..

Antelope Longaniza Sausage
              Thanks for the options, Ken!

Comment

Originally posted by WALLE View Post
                Thanks Rich! PM sent to CP to see what the deal-e-o is.
                Actually..I’ll be making an order for it..I sell it on my site. Prolly in the next week or so. I send him packages of it for the “royalty fee” for having his mix on the site.
                In God I trust- All others pay cash...
                Check out the Mad Hunky and products at https://madhunkymeats.com or https://www.facebook.com/MadHunkyMeats
                Lang 60D, The Beast, 18 and 22 WSM, Brinkmann Backroads trailer, Weber 22 Kettle, gutted MB burning watts

Comment

Actually..I’ll be making an order for it..I sell it on my site. Prolly in the next week or so. I send him packages of it for the “royalty fee” for having his mix on the site.
                  Aaah!

PM Sent to Richtee to understand the Deal-E-O!

Comment

One thing I would add - if you're going to add onions - add dried onions.
                    Otherwise you're just adding a lot of water, that'll mess with the texture.
                    Made In England - Fine Tuned By The USA
                    Just call me 'One Grind'

Comment

Originally posted by curious aardvark View Post
                      One thing I would add - if you're going to add onions - add dried onions.
                      Otherwise you're just adding a lot of water, that'll mess with the texture.
                      Thanks, CA!

Two LBS of CPIS on order from RT!

Comment

Made a lot of Antelope sausage back in the day with the front quarters and trimmings. If the hide got off quick they are really good eating and the rest of processing went well which if you were there I am sure it did.

I always used 50/50 with pork trimmings or butts, used a good polish sausage seasoning and smoked or breakfast sausage mix with cure and lightly smoked.

The polish mix I used to get from butcher came with pack of cure, the Italian mix was a fresh sausage, I sometimes left cure out and just froze and used as fresh but I added proper amount of cure #1 and lightly smoke and we liked that better.
                        Charbroil SFB
                        GOSM
                        MES
                        Dutch Ovens and other CI
                        Little Chief, Big Chief, No Name water smoker
                        Weber 22" gold, Smokey Joe, WSM 22"

Smoked-Meat Certified Sausage Head

sigpic

Comment

Sorry I'm late to this one but a lot of good advice already been given. I would use 2 tablespoons of the mix per lb of meat and i also like a 50/50 ratio using pork.

Comment

Originally posted by erain View Post
                            Made a lot of Antelope sausage back in the day with the front quarters and trimmings. If the hide got off quick they are really good eating and the rest of processing went well which if you were there I am sure it did.

I always used 50/50 with pork trimmings or butts, used a good polish sausage seasoning and smoked or breakfast sausage mix with cure and lightly smoked.

The polish mix I used to get from butcher came with pack of cure, the Italian mix was a fresh sausage, I sometimes left cure out and just froze and used as fresh but I added proper amount of cure #1 and lightly smoke and we liked that better.
                            Thanks, Erain!

Originally posted by Checkered Past View Post
                            Sorry I'm late to this one but a lot of good advice already been given. I would use 2 tablespoons of the mix per lb of meat and i also like a 50/50 ratio using pork.
                            Thanks CP! I have some on order from Rich.

Comment

Working...
                            X